The Cocktail Lounge

Scotty

• Members

Wow... what's a double heart attack? Two right is a row, or days apart? He's had the stints put in, and is doing much better, keeping my fingers crossed that they can get the ventilator out tomorrow. His heart is back to normal rhythm, and they took out the balloon pump today. My brother is 52, but his was caused by radiation and chemo. We didn't know it, but apparently when you have radiation to the chest in combo with certain types of chemo, then it raises your risk BIG time for heart disease. He doesn't smoke, isn't overweight, and we have ZERO family history, so we weren't looking for it! Apparently, it's a latent side effect, and takes 20 YEARS to manifest itself.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both are depressing....LOL

Broke up with this guy ....I thought it was a match made in heaven....but it wasnt to be...I still care for him very much ......who knows maybe one day we can be together...on an upswing I am going on a date with a younger this weekend...lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So i have a new job offer. Its in a different field (Ordering, purchasing, shipping, etc) that is really growing in my area but most require experience. It pays more than my current job, it can put me on a new career path, i can move up within the company or move to a bigger one. The issue is it has no benefits because its small (like 5 people). I am not worried about health coverage, i can get my own current plan I have through work more basically what I am paying through work now, but no sick/vacation time. No work/pay on holidays. I use my vacation time a lot, I like to vacation, but at the same time ive been here seven years so thats why, i know i cant take time off from a new job like I can my current one. I could also use the new job to gain the experience/connections needed and move to a bigger company with full benefits and more money. It also seems like a lot of jobs dont offer the benefits my current company does, but i want out of this field. now.

I want out of my current job so, so badly. I hate going to work, im miserable, ive just been here too long and there is a huge, total remodel looming over our heads and I do NOT want to be here for that. At the same time id hate to take this job just to get out and like hate it and have no benefits or anything. Then again what if i love it and excel at it?

I am so confused here, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Members

This is an opportunity that has come your way and I think you should take it, accepting that there will be change in your life for a few months at least, and that some of that change might not be particularly welcome.

At the end of the day, what's the worst that can happen? You hate it, but you've been able to change career paths (which is huge!) and you've got a little more experience under your belt. It looks good on your CV. You can use it as a stepping stone.

I love my vacays too and am guaranteed 25 days (not counting weekends) paid vacation now. I consider myself extremely lucky. When I started, though, the first six months i was not allowed to take any vacation. It sucked. But in the grand scheme of things it was small period of time. Is there any way you can negotiate paid vacation time after you start working there a while? If not, def give it 6 months at least if you can and, as qurtermainefan suggested, start looking for jobs at bigger firms with more benefits. We can't be workhounds all the time! We need downtime to recharge the batteries.

• Members

Make the move. You'll get new skills, new experience and new contacts and that will put you in the position to find something better. If you stay where you are you'll only get more miserable and your performance will suffer. Vacations are great but all the vacation in the world can't counteract the burnout that comes from going to a job you hate every day.

• Members

Thank you all, sincerely.

I have until Monday when I go in for a final interview/formal offer and over the weekend I am going to practice what best to say to maybe get at least holidays that the office is closed paid. Losing my awesome vacation/sick pay is disappointing too, as really that adds up to a lot (I average about 40 days a year, actually). meanwhile I do have two interviews set up for today and a few phone calls to make, so maybe something else will come along.

• Members

Ok... I could use some feedback. I kind of reached the end of my rope with a customer of mine... We've always been friendly, and I've had her for 15 years. There have always been things that annoyed me about her, things she would do that are inconsiderate, such as calling, asking me to do piddly [!@#$%^&*], when she knows that I live 35 miles away, screwing up her online banking, and me not getting paid in a timely fashion, among other things. It's just a ton of little stuff over the years that builds up. Well, today.. I went to plant one of her pots, and I rang the bell and went in to tell her what I was doing, and ask her for my check, because it never arrived (although she said she sent it through her bank 17 days ago) She asked me about my brother, and then when I started to tell her, she cuts me off, and says she's under a deadline and can't talk right now. So I ask if I should come back in an hour or two, and she just says "I don't know, I'll text you"... when she's fully aware I don't have texting. I just leave, and being fed up, sent her this email. You think I'm out of line?

"I planted some cool season things in one of the pots today, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to come back again until I get your check, as I have no money for any materials or anything. Luckily, my mother was able to give me money to pay my electric bill, or it would have been shut off. Last week I had to stay at the hospital all night for two nights, because my brother had ICU psychosis after they brought him out of the drug induced coma, he got hold of the phone and called 911, and told the police the nurses were trying to kill him. I've been having to drive my mother to the hospital every day, because she's in no condition to drive because she can't eat or sleep well. He's FINALLY seemed to turn the corner, but my mother just can't hardly do any more after 2 1/2 weeks of this. And besides being so behind from the weather, I don't have Davin to help me at all this week, because his dad died Saturday night. So for now, I'll have to concentrate on my other customers, I'll be happy to come back to do some more stuff if you can manage to figure out your banking issues, since this is the fifth time this has happened, and I know the last time you ran out of paper checks, it took 6 months for you to get new ones, for whatever reason."

• Members

I don't want kids. But, I do want to get married. And, at almost 26. And, still single...(my BF has pretty much dumped me...He's just ignoring me to the point of no return) I'm pretty depressed about that. I hate seeing others get married. Almost all my friends are. And, I just hate it.

Well, even though that guy has your dad's name. If he cares about you. And, since you've been out on 12 dates...I'd say he does. I'd go for him. Maybe you can help him through his PTSD and be there for him. That would be sweet. :)

Good luck JP. :)

Straight men are worse.

Believe me...They are jackasses. Most everyone I've dated are jackasses. Complete and utter douchenozzles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Anytime my parents argue or fight i immedetly feel like a child going into panic mode, trying to get rid of the issue and please them both. Last night they were really going at it - but its not normal for them, and i always feel the blame for some reason even though growing up their fights were few and far between.

also, i hate my brother. like hate him. we have not spoke in two years now and i feel bad for my mom because they were always close until the past few years and with it being near mothers day i can tell it bothers her. she mentioned how she hasnt seen him in three years in a row on mothers day. hes such a selfish !@#$%^&*]. she wants new family photos as their are none with me and my brother and baby sister they adopted and i told her id be willing to go through with that as i love her more than i hate him, but i know she wont even try because we all know he wont show up and she will be hurt. its so sad.

and before anyone judges me for not speaking to him, let me tell you why - two years ago my parents moved away and left me and my brother the house, unlike on tv tho there is a mortgage and we split it like 75/25 as it was just me and then him, his wife, and two kids. grandma as well but she doesnt pay anything cuz shes grandma. he flipped out after they left telling me it needs to be 50/50 even though i was only home 6 hours a day an gone all weekend and they were not working and home all day - so i got bold and kicked him out and to our surprise my parents backed me and i got renters, then when the adoption of my sister was finalized he hadnt spoken to any of us in six months so we took the adoption family photos and i posted them on facebook and he flipped out and it was done. then last summr my grandma got very ill and eventually died. i called him before she died cuz she wanted to see him - they were always close - and he couldnt be bothered to come see her. i dont care how hard it may have been for him, it was hard for me, but i was there. there is no excuse for that. then when she died i called him to tell him vecause our dad was a disaster and i couldnt be there for him at the time, i needed to heal first, and he didnt come see our dad so i decided i dont want to ever speak to him again and ive stuck to it.

ok, im done venting.

Archived