Outstanding Younger Actor/Actress

Toups

• Members

Younger Actor belongs to Tom Pelphrey again. But if they choose Van Hansis, that's okay, because it'll indirectly be supporting gay storylines on soaps.

It seems the Younger Actress category has been so blah, so "eh whatever" in the past couple years, at least to me. I'd like to see Stephanie Gatchet win. Too bad both she and Pelphrey are off the show now because it doesn't help promote the show since they're already gone. I'm guessing it'll go to Julie Berman though.

I really like John Driscoll and hope GL gives him something meatier to do this upcoming year, but he didn't have the material last year to warrant a nomination.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love your banner, Gray Bunny! :D

John Driscoll had that scene where Coop flips out at Lizzie for lying to him about being pregnant with his kid. That entire episode was great for JD but other than that, he really doesn't have anything.

Overall, the Younger Actress list is uneven. You have great actresses who have had great storylines (ie. Berman), great actresses with [!@#$%^&*] storylines (ie. Gatschet), and mediocre actresses with great storylines (ie. Chando). I don't know where to place Rambin since I don't watch AMC and have no idea where her story has been going and also can't place Landon since I think she's a mediocre actress who happened to have a great storyline for the year she won her Emmy but find that the writing for her character sucked last year...nevertheless, people still seem to think she's all that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????? Jennifer Landon does not have the acting edge over all those girls! The Daytime Emmys are criminal if the award goes to anyone but Julie Berman or Stephanie Gatschet. I'll even admit it and say that Julie Berman, hands DOWN, deserves this award. But Stephanie Gatschet deserved it the year of the JB reveal. She was so damn good.

And SpritualJunkie, in fairness to Leven Rambin, I would put her in the category of "great actresses with [!@#$%^&*] storylines."

• Members

Yep.

BM knocked everything he got out the park even though he (like the rest of his cast) was stuck with atrocious writin.

He & VH are actually probably the most evenly matched in terms of 'frontrunners' in their category with TP slightly ahead of them both (but it's still a close race in general between the three) IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think Pelphrey or Jesse Soffer should win for Young Actor. Van Hansis has a shot...I'll give him that at least. Why the heck was that little boy who plays Noah Newman even PreNominated for this award? Isn't he like 10 years old!? Anyways I don't see why Devon from Y&R is up there. He's nothing special and frankly the character is a joke to me. For an adoption story it sure didn't touch my heart at all. And while I like James Stevenson and think hes doing a good job on Passions unlike a lot of the cast I'm shocked he's even in this category. Isn't he like an adult? I mean really aren't Jared, Theresa, and Ethan out of that category now?

As for Younger Actress thats definitely a harder one. I do think Jen Landon or the girl who plays Tammy on GL deserve to win. Of course with ATWT being my favorite soap I'm rooting for JL. I think shes a great actress and has a bright future ahead of her. Same for the girl who plays Tammy. I'd love Alexandra Chando to win an award and this year could be her "sneak in" year what with her really powerful scenes with Henry and everyone else so I wouldn't count her out yet. Last but not least I think Rachel Melvin should be up there. Perhaps next year though.

People who I wouldn't have minded NOT making the nomination list are Lulu from GH and Lily from AMC. Are they serious? I'd rather have the girl who plays Starr from OLTL up there. She definitely has gotten better over the years and shes truly shining right now.

• Members

I'm rooting for Jennifer Landon and Jesse Soffer to win in the Younger Actress/Actor categories, but I understand that the characters from GL -- Jonathan and Tammy were killed off and from what I have read that very often leads to a win.

Even though I am an ATWT fan ... I have to say I was totally surprised that Alex Chando got nominated at all. Last year was her big storyline ... the rape and slasher storylines that went on for what seemed like an eternity and the actress just did not impress me (and obviously she didn't impress anyone at the soap mags either since she was never picked as performer of the week or the variation on that that each mag has). I think Alex does better with comedic scenes rather than dramatic ones and her whole 'dramatic' performance during HER frontburner storyline was lacking IMO. She really seemed lost on how to convey the myriad of emotions that were required of her and that led to repetitiveness in her acting choices or her defaulting to very amateurish (Drama 101) type things (like pulling on her hair to convey that Maddie was losing it, gulping really noticeably to show she was nervous, etc.), not to mention her over use of that little girly voice which she used so much that instead of feeling any sympathy for Maddie I came to hate watching her scenes because that little girly voice of hers became like nails on a chalkboard....I think that comedy is where Alex's strength lies acting-wise at the moment and I don't think that is a dis to the actress because doing comedy well is not an easy thing to master and she seems to have a natural gift for it.

I think Jennifer Landon's character was used to prop up other storylines last year and the fact that she was still able to take mediocre writing and turn in tremendous performances last year shows what a wonderful actress she really is ... but I just don't think her material will be as 'moving' as death scenes that I'll bet were submitted by the actress from GL. The whole Will/Jade storyline was really Will's frontburner storyline (with Gwen being used to fuel it) but again I just don't think it can measure up to Jonathan's death on GL.

I don't watch any ABC soap but from what I have read Julie Berman (Lulu) supposedly had a pretty intensive frontburner storyline .... So I think that the race for Outstanding Younger Actress is between Jennifer Landon, Stephanie G (Tammy on GL) and Julie Berman and that Stephanie will probably win because of the strength of her storyline.

As between Jesse or Van I think it depends on what episodes they pick for their emmy reels, but in the end I think Tom Pelphrey is going to win again thanks to the strength of his storyline. So, as disappointed as it makes me as an ATWT fan, I think GL is going to sweep the younger actor categories this year.

Archived