The State of Y&R

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There was a comment something to the effect that Philip was given away 25 years ago. Then immediately a comment that it was before Esther came to work for Kay.

Well I think it's obvious that Gloria has done some hideous things. But so have Sheila Carter, Heather Webber on GH, Barbara Ryan on ATWT, and many other villainesses & nasty women of the soaps.

I agree that the Reliquary storyline does seem to have a lot of stops & starts. But it might have had to do with the flow of other stories. It's also not unusual with this particular show over time for that kind of thing to have happened.

And yes I also agree there's too much airtime for Korbel & Colleen together.

But I praise the show because I like it. I say it's better than the others because it IS. I don't praise it simply BECAUSE it's better than the others. I'll also say what I DON'T like about it. It isn't perfect.

Now, Amber is another matter. I don't see Amber as being forced down our throats. I find her fascinating. She's not a new character. Most viewers must be aware she has a history on B&B even if they didn't watch a lot of it. She was a huge favourite over there. So really it's just a continuation of a really good character.

I like her chemistry with Cane but I LOVE her chemistry with Daniel. It shows even more in a post-Davetta show. Daniel & Amber have this HUGE sparking thing. They start flirting and fireworks go off all over the screen.

Now I may be wrong about this but I assumed the Kay & Jill thing is just beginning, and that it has a lot more airtime coming up. Sometimes things have to build. It's a bit of a stretch if they suddenly overnight go back to the hate/hate thing from the current bizarre toleration sweet relationship of the past few years. But I don't know. Maybe it is as assumed they just want to show the young kids more.

I don't think Gloria is amoral, though. Highly immoral at times but not amoral. I see her having a warped view of morality but it is some kind of moral view however odd & at times very very wrong. I do think that at certain times Sheila has been written as amoral.

But ultimately I look forward to watching it and enjoy it. That's what counts. Trying to sit through GH, for example, raises my blood pressure too high and makes me want to scream & yell at the idiots who are destroying the characters and writing all that trash & crap. So I just can't do it.

I keep watching B&B hoping it will improve, or show some of the strength it had during the Betty White stint or some of the best Sally Spectra shenanigans. But unfortunately it keeps resorting to all that incest & the ENDLESS Brooke & Ridge, Ridge & Brooke, Brooke & Ridge, Ridge & Brooke dance that's been way overdone for many years now. At least when it started it had Caroline in the mix which was a HUGE factor that's no longer there. There were also more major families, not just the Forresters, and lately despite a few weak attempts to expand back it's still mostly just the Forresters.

With Y&R I turn on and just get caught up with the stories & the characters. That's what I ask for in a show and that's what they're giving me now. Maybe next week that won't be the case. It's a weird state in daytime with all kinds of changes going on all the time. And maybe Y&R isn't quite as compelling at the moment as it's been at times in the past, even much of the past few years, but it's still commanding my interest & affection. Despite some flaws Days is the only other one I can say the same about all the time lately.

• Members

Perfection.

And ITA with your post Darn. I totally missed it at first.

ITA with this especially. I understand some people appreciate what Y&R is right now and that's fine, opinions will vary, but for me it is going down the drain so quickly. And just because Y&R's crap smells a little better than some of the other crap, doesn't mean it still isn't crap. In fact, it's worse because Y&R should really know better.

• Members

Who called you crazy? If you're referring to my comment I was talking about Sheila. Who was certifiably insane.

Exactly. And being a fan of the show for years you fall under the impression that they do. The show somehow managed to avoid the majority of the mishaps in the 90s. Firing vets, sacrificng the show to newbies, outlandish stories with cartoonish villains...yet, somehow in a year it's managed to do all of those things.

• Members

Esther became Kay's maid exactly 25 years (Can you believe it!?) ago. In real time Phillip was already 5 years old back then... So Phillip is at least 30 years old.

As for Amber: I kinda like her on Y&R for the same reason I really loved her druing her last one and two years on B&B. She's interesting to a certain extent and has LOADS of chemistry with Daniel. Thank Cane dude however can so go down under again though... Still, Amber simply does not fit into Y&R. She fits into this mess of Y&R LML is selling where characters are so annoyingly "quircky" you get headaches from and looks nearly normal.

On the rest I 1000% agree with everything Southern Honey said.

• Members

Latham has turned Y&R into a boring, predictable hot mess. Most of the major storylines are really not all that interesting and I am finding them to be very McTavish like in the way it is so obvious to viewers what the outcome will be. i.e Phillip/Cane. Like How friggin obvious could Latham be?

The show is still probably the best on the air, but barely. I find myself not caring if I miss an episode here and there.

I knew that getting rid of all the veteran staff writers in the long run would hurt this show. Latham.... get a friggin clue.

Archived