This is getting old......

juniorz1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You make a valid point there. But you as an individual can only go so far. Tolerance is a two way street, and unfortunately, more times than not, you will probably hit a dead end. I hate it as much as you do, but the best offense against a bigoted defense is to go above and beyond their low expectations of you and make them eat their words when you are basking in success.

• Members

VEry well put Kenny. That is the point I was trying to make earlier. When we resort to snide remarks, belittling comments, name calling, baiting comments, etc. the person they are directed too goes on the defensive - it is natural for it to happen. Especially if the conversation is already heated.

As Venus said it is happening more and more around here - even in talks about our favorite soaps.

But back to the issue of racism, gay rights, etc. As a bisexual man I constantly am told there is no such a thing. To most people we are looked at even worse than a gay man because they say we are trying to have it both ways and that if you have sex with a man you are gay and just denying it. I learned very quickly that I am not going to change peoples minds. All I can do is live my life, try to educate in any way that I can, and go on. To get mad at them or constantly try to pound it in their heads didn't get me anywhere.

I have not told a lot of people about my lifestyle. In fact more people on here know about it than real life do. But I know that I exist and that's all that matters.

Back to Kenny's remark it is so easy to resort to those things and want to pound people in the head with our beliefs, but doing so is not going to get us anywhere.

I get so surprised all the time that we as American's brag about our country being based on our freedoms but yet we constantly want to inflict our beliefs and attitudes on others. I am not saying that any kind of bashing is okay and definitely not any kind of discrimination, but my point is the same as I have made before - the key is for each one of us to learn to be more tolerant of the other. And learn that our rights end where they start infringing on someone elses.

If we could all learn that then things would be so much better. We are not going to be able to make everyone beleive like we do. We live our lives, teach them that by example that the way we believe or live is not that bad, and hope that in time they get wise. Things won't ever be perfect but the hope has to be there that they get better.

Okay enough rambling.

• Members

Mulder dear, I never said you said anything about quotas.

You do not have an open mind, you keep name calling and using the whole neo-con label. Just accept people for who they are. I am centrist. I vote both parties. If you can not agree with that just because I support a cause that you do not, does not mean you have the right to label me.

With that, I can truly say you do not have an open mind. If you did, you would accept my view and move on. But instead you call me a liar, neo-con and others names.

Open you mind and your eyes...everyone has something to offer and if you do not agree with it, tahts fine too, but it does not make that person bad or wrong, it makes them human.

You have been nothing but hateful toward me for no reason other then you disagree with me. Where is your decency?

And Danni I will accept your non-response as an apology for you calling me a racist.

• Members

Bigotry will always exist. It always has, always will. There will always be someone somewhere who will feel superior to another. The best thing you can do to fight it is to get behind someone politically who would support change, support your cause. What doesn't work, and I think most of us know this from experience, is trying to convert every living soul, or even one is simply impossible. Everyone's a dog with a bone with their opinions. That's a fact (heh) that we all need to accept to coexist, in my opinion. Like others have said, you can't get up in people's faces to make change. Resistance is only stronger this way. I also think that the general consensus is that when you have an idea or opinion, you're as averse to change as others are to your actual idea. The United States should be a democracy which is free of bigotry in law, if not socially as well. This is one of the failures of our forefathers, and not for a lack of trying (thank you Thomas Jefferson). It's human nature to have an order. Just look at nature. I feel like I'm going to be so flamed, but there's a sense of unnaturalness about equality. This comes with higher intelligence that few animals have to deal with. There's always the challenge of nature and morality. More times than not, nature wins. Is nature a good thing? Not always. Mostly not, I'd say. There elements of both that are important to the coexistance I speak of. Tolerance is not too much to ask; but there are certain ways to go about earning it. You have to know how to play the game, and learn that you won't always win.

• Members

If people don't think black people can be racist, look no further than Randy Jackson on Idol. He is obsessed with pushing these African American screeching, screaming hyenas on America. They can't sing to save their f-ing life. They scream, and they look like hoochie mommas.

Then, he will come down hard on all the white girls for looking and dressing the exact same way, saying it's not the right image. And saying their voice is mediocre, when THEY can actually sing!

Randy always comes down harder on the white contestants.

I was reminded of this thread during last night's A.I.

• Members

I absolutely agree, King. It's not always the case, but I find a lot of African Americans have this sort of resentment towards all white people, and are just racist towards them. I have two friends, a black girl and a white girl. Black girl's parents do not like our shared, white friend, and they have no logical reason. They simply don't trust her, because she's white. It's a closed minded view. No different than white people discriminating against blacks. Or Latinos. Or Asians. Or anyone else. And it's nearly as present.

• Members

Thats fine Danni, you just spoke volumes about your character and your resistance to see beyond color.

Thats pretty pathetic, I feel bad for you. You will get no where until you take YOUR blinders off. The majority of white people are not racist, but yet, you called me one and refuse to apologize. You are no better than Rachel Ray if she did this or Isisah Washington, Michael Richardson..etc.

• Members
Think about why the resentment is there. It doesn't just manifest itself in thin air. It's a reaction based on painful history and experience. I'm not saying it's justified, but there is a reason why.

Are you serious? I mean really, are you serious? You're using that as an example of racism? And people wonder why I start flipping out over this [!@#$%^&*]. How about you look in the city of Atlanta where a middle class white community wants to join a different county because the other community consist of poor black people? How about you look at the fact that schools today are just as segregated now as they were in the 1950s. How about you look at the fact that in the year 2007 there are only TWO black senators? How about you look up Shirley Q. Liquor, a gay drag performer who basically portrays a black woman with 19 kids?

I'm not going to apologize to you because you haven't said anything meaningful in the discussion. You're not educating yourself on the matters of racism. You've basically said that it's not your issue to deal with, and for that why should I think that you're not?

• Members

Since we're not going to mend racial tentions in your country anytime soon... I suggest you all pick up the CD Franklin Comes Alive. Franklin and GOB's duet might simply be the answer here.

And I agree with whoever said STFU.

Archived