This is getting old......

juniorz1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry, Drue and Danni and anyone else, but anyone who doesn't think minorities in this country are racist are living in a fantasy. Obviously white people are racist as are black people and hispanic and asians, as well.

• Members

Some blacks are also prejudiced towards light skinned blacks and biracial people, and that is extremely stupid. With biracials, the resentment is there because we represent the mixing of two different races, and some blacks have a serious problem with a black person having children with a white person, or any race that isn't black. Love sees no color, and I see more and more interracial couples and children when I'm out. I don't consider that a threat to society or a race, I consider that an example of people overcoming race to be together. As for light-skinned blacks, they have no control over their skin color, so why even hate on them?

Why hate on anybody really?

• Members

I believe that they can be prejudiced, but actual racism is a whole other level because of the power structure that exists. I'm not going to get into detail about it again, so I suggest you look up Tim Wise or Beverly Daniel Tatum for a more in-depth definition.

• Members

If she wants to come at me underhandedly like she did earlier in the thread, then I can do the same.

http://www.komoradio.com/home/video/500185...deo=pop&t=a

I suggest everyone watch this. This doesn't just come from thin air. This didn't happen out of nowhere. This is 100+ years of psychological damage that has been passed down from generation to generation.

• Members

I just re-read this entire thread & WOW! What a great read! Even though I obviously don't agree with all of you, it was interesting to get different viewpoints on various issues. I think everyone in the thread, for the most part, said what was honestly on their mind, which was at the core of its intention. Here's a collection of some of my favorite posts! A big fat WORD to all of you! :D

• Members

Wow intense.

I really don't know what to say because admitedly I am a bit naive. I guess it is the world I grew up in and how my parents raised me. I don't care what color you are, who you sleep with(except of course if they are underage), what religion you care to practice if you want to. I don't care how old you are, how much you weigh etc. I try to tolerate people as best as possible. Am I always successful? Hell no. I admit I have made racist remarks before. Does it make me racist? I don't know, it might. Do I hate a specific race, no, I wasn't brought up that way.

I like people for who they are and I respect people for who they are. There is not one poster here that I dislike and I respect what posters say. Sure I get annoyed with posts but who doesn't? Tolerance is key. I try to remember that my God (who is different than everyone elses IMO) is about tolerance and respect for all.

I like King's suggestion about warning and maybe we should have more mods. I was on a board and we had guidelines that we all [!@#$%^&*]ed and moaned about, but after a while, everything worked out. It was all about respect.

And that is my opinion, take it or leave

• Members

ICAM! I hate that, black people hating black people based on skin color. It drives me crazy that we make such an issue over color, even within our own race. I fully agree with you on love not seeing any color. When it comes to love, nothing else in the world seems to matter.

• Members

And that's where I would disagree with you. In fact, I think that statement actually denies racial equality. No one "should" have a friend who is from a minority group just because it's a perceived 'right thing to do.' If all races are truly equal, then a person can feel comfortable with natural friendships, whether they be all white, all black, a mingling of the races or even if the person chooses to be a recluse and have no friends. That's their choice. There should be no "should" in the equation.

• Members
Yes, they do. It's in how a white person can be so dismissive of actual racism. It's in how you can say "Oh, get over it" whenever there is a discussion of racism and the history of racism. It's in how you say "It's not my problem, it's up to the minorities to change the minds of others when the very people who need to have their minds changed are practically brick walls". It's in how you come up with a downright awful example of "racism", (Randy Jackson favoring powerhouse black singers comes to mind), and completely ignore the real forms (like Chris Knipp's blackface drag queen character Shirley Q. Liquor who is a "welfare queen" with 19 kids or the MLK parties at TSU and UCONN). It's how you say nothing when a certain someone downright says that he will use the n-word in a heated argument. If you're not an ally in the fight. If you're not active in the fight, you're making sure that racism still exists.

Once again, look at the history of why colorism exists. That's psychological damage. When you're being fed the "white is right" mentality for so long, it's only a matter of time until it becomes a divisive force within the black community.

• Members

That part bothers me on so many levels because I'd consider someone who has only white friends to be rather suspect. Then again, someone who's made no effort to befriend a POC isn't really worth being a friend of mine because I'm not going to be a token to soothe their conscience.

Archived