This is getting old......

juniorz1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First, your whole post was just great...

And relating to the part I quoted, sounds all too familiar for me. There just comes a point where all one can do is take a step back and really hope that what you said had some sort of impact. Even then, the reality is that, that's not always going to be the case. My father, for example, to this day still doesn't 'understand' gay people, despite him coming from his own minority situation, and even no there is no question of his love, no amt. of debate on that topic has yet to convince him otherwise...

:) :) :) I'm happy though, and it seems, for the most part, most of us are really staying quite intelligent and respectful here....

• Members

You can't change peoples mind if they dont want to. I find Jacob Young attractive as hell. Some say why he is not hot. Well, they aint changing my mind on him...lol. And I have heard first hand all the hatred towards gays. It is so sad. I was in shock when I actually heard certain people talk about gays in a negative way. But I am not going to rry to change their mind. They think gays are a certain way and they dont really know us.

• Members

Rather then change someone's mind, perhaps the best way is to both come to a logical conclusion that you can agree to disagree. No one should have their views/beliefs changed to satisfy another. It really isn't fair. But the key is to make someone understand where you are coming from with YOUR views, and they should do the same for you. If your opinions differ, nothing much can be done. But if you know the motivation behind the beliefs of both parties, then atleast you can respect WHY they feel that way.

• Members

I wish instead of threads being closed, Mods and Admins would use the warning feature more often instead of killing the entire thread.

If the person or people involved go up to 100% and get banned? Oh well.

Delete the posts if that is the only alternative to closing the thread. Also, I think the mods need to be more involved in SON so the problems are caught earlier. A few mods are very active. But most seem to be very sporadic in their SON participation. If they don't come on SON a lot, they can't moderate. By the time they or admins pop in, things are out of control.

I'm just trying to be 100% constructive.

So, yeah, WARN, WARN, WARN. Don't close!

• Members

So in the overall grand scheme, the only solution is to just sit back and do nothing until they're ready to change their minds meanwhile the perpetuation of racism still occurs? The problem I have with that is that it's easy to take a look at that perspective, but for the people it affects, it's a lot to deal with.

• Members

I agree with all of that... and in addition, I think that approach has alot to do with it.

If you're up in somebody's face, trying to belittle them and make them feel about two inches fall for feeling the way they feel, they're going to tune you out... it's the natural human defense. However, if you try to have a rational, proactive conversation, chances are likely that they're going to listen to you just a little more.

• Members

A cyncical as it seems, it really is the only option one has. But that doesn't mean you have to stop 'the fight' entirely....continue with it, be with it, make yourself heard and people will see. More and more people need to be less afraid to speak up for positive change so that the sounding board continues to grow. It's not an easy thing, and as you mentioned, the civil rights movement is only 40yrs old, but even still, mankind has been dealing with some sort of prejudice since really, the start of this whole crazy place...

• Members

DOROTHY: "Rose, did it ever occur to you that we might be just a little bit tired of hearing 'back in St. Olaf, back in St. Olaf, back in St. Olaf?!"

ROSE: "Gee, Dorothy, no I didn't. Well... back in that town whose name you're tired of hearing..."

DOROTHY: "ROSE!"

Sorry. I'll get back on topic now. :)

Archived