This is getting old......

juniorz1

• Members
So what should you do if one side doesn't want to listen? What should you do if the people in power don't want to change their views for the overall improvement of society because they don't want the current power structure to change? What do you do then? Just continue talking?

And why is it that you're not attracted to black men, out of curiosity? I do also hope you know that Latino men can also be black...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last time I checked, I don't have to justify who I am sexually attracted to. Why, then may I ask, are you attracted to who you are attracted to?

That question is ridiculous. No one can help who they are attracted to. And if you even hint that I am a racist because I don't want to sleep with a man of color, you are way out of line.

And as for your Latino comment, I could care less. I happen to be into Latino/Spanish/Puerto Rican men. I don't need a reason why. I just am. Case closed.

• Members

DruRocks & Juniorz

I want to clarify. It is not the snarky remarks that I have a real problem with. I find sometimes they are funny. But many times it is the motive behind them. And some people (just like the ones with the name calling) only do it to rile another person. Those type of remarks and name calling are not conducive to any type of discussion. They are never warranted.

You can't have any kind of intelligent discussion when those type of remarks are part of the conversation - esp. in a serious discussion like racism or talking about the use of the word faggot. Adding snarky remarks and name calling into the mix only causes more problems.

And then esp when you are in a heated discussion like the ones have been over the Sheila issue you add them in there too and you only cause problems. Problems that should not be added.

Sorry but as long as they are part of it no we will never be able to discuss serious subjects

• Members

Honestly Danni, why does it matter that he's not attracted to black men? Maybe that's just not his thing. I know plenty of black men who aren't attracted to white women simply because they aren't.

Getting back to your original post Greg,

I never took your comment (and I hope no other mods did) out of place. You have the right to wonder why threads are closed and fortunately I don't have to repeat it because many already said so.

The content of the threads really isn't what gets the thread closed. It is the attitude's of the people involved. Instead of responding to the thread and keeping it on topic, you have those who slip in snarky comments, try to call others out and so on and so forth. You end up having people fighting with each other and though it may not bother you (not saying you Greg) per say, it bothers others. You have no idea how many PMs we receive from members complaining about the fighting. SON isn't like other boards. For the most part the members respect the opinions of others.

People feel strongly about their convictions and that's their right. When they start insulting others and bashing them for not seeing things their way is when [!@#$%^&*] starts to get out of control. I'd much rather close a thread than warn (and suspend) people, but I'm actually very tired of it. I'm tired of the damn fighting, I'm tired of all the unneeded snarkiness and bullshit. Wanna know why some members disappear for a few days? Oh yeah, it's because they're suspended.

We don't want to censor people (as we've been accused in the past) but when the [!@#$%^&*] hits the fan and members begin fighting, threads are closed.

• Members

While Kwing may have had hateful posts, he hasn't been going the hell off as of late.

As far his the post in question, while it may have been distasteful, it is true that some places have "quotas" to meet.

I don't see how he could have lost all credibility by saying that (if you can look past the way it was said).

• Members

I agreed with Kwing up until he mentioned "unqualified minorities". I hate it when Canadians or Americans whine about how foreigners are coming in to steal their jobs when they (Canadians or Americans) are lacking the education to do the job right or don't want to be stuck with low-paying service jobs. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

But in reference to the original topic. I've seen threads gets closed for no good reason other than the fact that the discussion will undoubtbly get heated. It happened with me on another board when I brought up religion and questioned the belief of America being the world's moral platform. With not even one reply, a mod closed it. I was pissed because it did relate to a soap storyline and I find it sad how people will close a discussion regarding social issues that *gasp* actually result from soaps. Threads of "I hate this actor" or "So and so sucks" can be allowed to boring infinity but thought-provoking topics that might be a little touchy immediately get stomped on.

There's a point where censorship does lead to ignorance.

• Members

Looking back, maybe we should ban all thread pertaining to politics, religion, social issues and racism. Maybe then we'd have less fighting and less closed threads....

Oh yeah, that's right. We're not like other boards. The threads will continue to be able to be created (and discussed) until things get out of control. And I know that I will not apologize for closing threads.

• Members

Well, I'm only going to post in this topic once... I for one have gotten to the point where I just begin to tune out folks that always want to bring race into the mix; or those who make little backhanded comments about race..Why? Because I know who I am...I am African American; but that doesn't define who I am..I don't let it hiinder me..I don't hind in shame for liking someone that is different than me, and I don't get upset (depending on how it's worded or tone in which it was said) when someone runs off at the mouth about anything regarding race.

I try to live my life by respecting others; regardless of their ethnicity, their sexual orientation or their beliefs...Hmm...Maybe I am in the minority for being that way, but that's who I am. The only thing that really bothers me is when I have others always feeling the need to change me by how I am.

I read a lot of these comments, and point blank, not one single one really offends me...Everyone is intitled to their opinion and their views...I don't agree with a lot of what was said, but that's just me. I like mostly everyone that posts on here, regardless. It's just a shame that some times folks want to hate on others for what they believe, or deem them 'beneath' them for even having a different view as they do.

Archived