This is getting old......

juniorz1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I respectfully disagree. Everyone faces discrimination and hate and unfairness in life.

Not just those of color or females. I know it exists for them as well, but everyone faces it. And until people come to terms with that, this issue will never die. It is not a ME ME ME issue. It is an US issue.

• Members

I agree with you Danni. Yes, this issue may be relevant to everyone but those that are the victim of oppression and ignorance are those that make up the minorities. While there may sometimes be a reversal in statements, there never is a reversal of power, which is a key factor in any kind of 'ism.

• Members

The 'ism will ALWAYS exist. But what are YOU going to do about it? Change it? Or complain about it?

What is wrong are the statements of "you need to be black to understand it", "you are not a woman so you don't understand", "if you were gay, you would know"

While its true, its also bullshit.

Everyone has a fight to fight or a problem to deal with. These are not issues that ONLY minorities go through. IF that is how you believe, I am sorry, that is part of the problem

I hate racism and all the other 'ism's you talk about. But shutting the ones out that YOU feel do not have a problem, is in itself a problem.

When we start telling people that they do not matter ...is when we have issues.

• Members

Well, smart guy, how do you expect me to change any -ism when the people with power refuse to budge nor have any incentive to budge? If I talk about it, it's dismissed. If I don't talk about it, it's as if said -ism was a dirty little stain in US history, but now we're all equal and everything's just sunshine and roses. Should I just wave the white flag and just watch as things start regressing?

As, I said. It's easy for you to say what you've just said. You can choose to ignore it, choose to disregard it, choose to put it ALL on the victims of oppression.

Let's not even get into the issues that go on within communities: colorism, the blatant disregard of black feminism during the feminist movement, racism within the gay community...

• Members

Talk about it. Talk about the things that one side finds appropriate and the other side sees as ignorant. A meeting of the minds. Kind of what we're trying to do here, no?

I seriously doubt that the average Joe middle aged white male experiences the kind of ignorance in their everyday life that the rest of the population does. I'm sorry, but that's a fact.

Nobody is saying that anybody doesn't matter or shutting anyone out. All that we're saying is that, in the grand scheme of things, different people experience different things on different levels. I'm sorry but the fact is the people in the position of power (RE: White Straight Males) don't experience ignorance on the level that those not in power (RE: everybody else) deal with on an everyday basis.

• Members

I have to afree with like the very first of Kwing's post until he/she started bad-mouthing the mod.'s :rolleye: I have a feeling that the only rteason they close threads is because people don't know how far is too far, they don't know how to just drop something. Such as Danni, she can't let this racism drop...however, on the other hand, Kwing is also very good at instigating and thus, this is what we have. Danni was talking so normally until Kwing came around and started pushing her buttons, launching her into ANOTHER racismy tyrade.

Bottom line: The reason these threads keep getting closed is because some people don't know how to grow up and act civilized and respect other people's opinions.

• Members

And that attitude is exactly the reason I started this thread in the first place. Danni can't let racism drop? Uhh, sorry that racism is prevalent in the United States and Danni experiences it in some form on a daily basis, much like a person of any type of minority group. Kwing I don't think was pushing anyone's buttons- those are his honest opinions and nobody has disrespected them. Only disagreed with them.

So Danni (and anyone else for that matter) should just shut up about racism and bigotry and just deal? Sorry, no.

• Members

I hope this is still here when I get home from work, because I have some things to say. Some comments. I have means to believe that I was a participant in the Isaiah washington thread, and I would like to comment on this whole outlash in all. I hope the thread is still open when I get back. Let me just say now, that im a little tired of a certain poster, and may I add that Im a grown ass man and I can say that without being silenced. That is no shot at the mods. Ill be back.

• Members

Although it may seem I was pushing buttons, I was not. I am just saying what needs to be said.

I am sick of people using the race card. Yes there are racist people in the world, always will be. And thats too bad. I have many friends who are white, black, Asian, Muslim..whatever....because I am a caring person who likes people for WHO they are.

I am someone who believes that someone should get a job based on knowledge, education and experience and not because of their skin color or to fill a quota.

I have not instigated a damn thing and I resent that remark. Everyone in my eyes is equal and it is about damn time someone stood up and said that being WHITE is not the problem.

Jesse Jackson is one of the biggest reasons race relations are bad in some parts. He is an instigator.

I am sick and tired of being told I am racist because I am white. I am sick of people blaming the goverment because they are not white.

I am sorry you take that as instigating.

You come off as angry and not willing to work on issues. I am sorry that you have faced racism, that sucks. You know what...we all face inequalities...i'm sorry but that is the truth.

• Members

Kwing is right as far as Danni is concerned. Everything becomes a racial issue with her. We could be talking about what foods we dislike, and if someone mentioned they didn't like chocolate chip cookies, she would turn it around so not liking chocolate chip cookies is equal to being a racist.

Not only that, if you're not 100% black, any negative experiences or discrimination you do face really isn't discrimination to her. That is total bullcrap. EVERYONE is discriminated against in one form or another. Don't tell me that a gay person isn't discriminated against. Don't tell me an overweight person isn't discriminated against, or a senior citizen isn't discriminated against, or someone with mental disabilities isn't discriminated against. Someone will find something to be prejudiced about, and it just doesn't have to be skin color.

• Members

From a person who does his best to stay out of the heated arguments I will state that I am glad some of the posts get closed and it is not because of what is being discussed but because of the attitudes of some of the posters. And I am not calling names there.

Every issue deserves an open forum and deserves to be discussed but when other posters resort to calling names to the other posters - even calling them moron. Better yet they resort to saying things that they know will instigate or bait another poster then yes the mods need to close that down.

Too many times the discussions have resorted to that. No longer can the issue be discussed in a proper way because the posters become angry at the name calling. To me if the issue is not being discussed and only arguing and name calling are going on there is no progress being made and it is best to shut down the thread.

Archived