This is getting old......

juniorz1

• Members

I see what you're saying but you're taking it to the extreme. Having read much of what she's had to say about racism, I highly doubt she'd be so ill-informed as to compare something of its magnitude to not liking a chocolate chip cookie. I understand it's an exaggeration but the comparison is out of place IMO.

I have to respectfully disagree here. I don't think that's ever what she's implied at all, just more that if you are in the position of power (or the majority) then you cannot truly be discriminated against which happens to be true. That would not include gays or senior citizens.

I find it particularly disturbing that you make the comparison to people with mental disabilities as well. Again. :blink::huh: Kind of an odd but telling leap to make.

As far as people who are overweight......they actually make up the majority of citizens in this country and have some type of control over their weight- usually, it's that very control that is part of their disease. Sexuality, gender, age, race- these are things that are out of one's control and have a place in comparison to racism/bigotry.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, exaggerate much, Bree?

I know other forms of discrimination exist. I am a woman too. I am overweight too. However, I focus on the topics that I actually know, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for you. I gave you resources, and the only thing you could do is insult me in response. That shows a lot about you, now doesn't it?

• Members

Oh, only a woman of color can discriminate against others....Bree...you were out of line

GOOD LORD

DROP IT. It is 2007...DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Crying and blaming on a message board is worthless..you know this right?

Stop being so anti-white and anti-government and get things moving....freaking WORK for what you are lacking in your life. Like the rest of us have too.

• Members
I love how you see things that aren't there...

Thank you, Kwing, for affirming EVERY SINGLE POINT that I have made about racism and why it won't change. It's not up to me to change it. It's about the people who have privilege (aka YOU). I can talk, work, fight until I'm blue in the face, but if you don't care then there's no point.

• Members

I am no longer a mod or an official staff member of SON, despite my title under my name.

And I don't think I was insulting at all.

JayV, I saw what you said in that IW thread and I thought YOU were out of line.

Also, I am biracial (my mom is white, my dad is black) and I have had racial comments directed at me (not on this board) but I don't keep complaining about it and thinking everyone who isn't black is racist. If I constantly dwelled on every single derogatory thing said to me, I would be a very bitter and unhappy person, and I choose not to be.

• Members

Discussion isn't the problem. It's the attitude people are bringing to the discussion that is getting threads closed. Even here, some people don't know when to turn the switch to "not an ass." It is uncomfortable to read and does nothing but increase hostilities.

The sooner people learn that their opinion isn't the gospel, the more civilized this will be.

• Members

jay I am not falling back

I guess it must be where you live because my friends who are of color, are not in anyway this angry or hostile. They love their friends and their life. They do not use the race card as a crutch to make themselves feel better. They live by example which I am damn proud of them for.

They know what it takes to live their life and they are successful in business, in school and in their life. So whats your problem?

• Members

The threads would remain open if we could all learn how to disagree about topical subjects respectfully.

As difficult as it may be, if someone says something that offends you personally, it's best just to use the "report" button rather than to hurl an insult back. I know, I know... easier said than done. I'm guilty of doing the same thing. But I'm pretty certain that's why the threads are closed.

• Members

I agree...I try to preach to not use hate...but here I got sucked into the hatred of others.

I do apologize. Some people knew exactly what they were doing when they started this thread....and I fell for it. I stand by my views...but I should let the haters spew their hate and move on.

Sorry to all the decent rule abiding posters....I admit, I screwed up this time.

Archived