This is getting old......

juniorz1

• Members

This statement is becoming synonymous with SON and I for one find it more and more annoying with each occurance. Racism, Bigotry, Hatred- they all exist in this world. Yes, they are all ugly, but all are a reality of life in the U.S. IMO. It seems as if an undercurrent is brewing in this country, something that was disappearing in the 90s but gained strength in the new milennium. And the only thing that's going to stop that undercurrent from hitting a boiling point is open discussion, where people can honestly say whatever is on their minds, however heinous the(ir) truth sometimes is. I think it's good that things in the media are coming to the forefront, bringing this to people's attention and getting us talking about it.

I just don't understand why, when things get a little touchy (but interesting), someone always seems to come around and shut down the open conversation that is so needed right now. Not just here, it seems, but anywhere- be it a message board, the work place, out with friends, etc.....

And FYI- I saw nothing wrong with the discussions being had about Isaah Washington, racism, et all. NONE crossed a line IMO.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually wanted to weigh in on the Isaiah Washington matter because of all the underlying issues. I'm not a fan of bigotry, but I would be lying if I expressed the opionion that Mr. Washington should be fired for expressing his vile views. Is free speech, even in all its ugliness, not still paramount? I had such contempt for Michael Richards and Tom Cruise when they espoused their vilitrol, but should he lose his job? It should be up for discussion. I don't think anyone took any cheap shots.

• Members

I agree to a point. Too many people, myself included at times, fail to have a mature dialog about events. Instead they resort to slanderous comments, immature name calling which lead a thread down a path where it is no longer relavent or topical. I feel that the some of the powers that be are very ONE sided. But I am sure others feel differently. I do not care what their political, personal perference is. EVERYONE should be treated the same and the same rules should apply to EVERYONE which is NOT the case on the boards. I am not slamming anyone, just pointing out the truth. I have been warned for something political because that person was against my view, but another person in charge took it away because it was a warning out of spite and not truth.

So its kind of scary to post sometimes. MOST everyone makes good points. Its when people dive into the hate machine is when it gets touchy, and I am against that. So those threads, IMO need to be closed.

Happy now junior?

• Members

I am not begging for it. I am stating a fact. I am not being down on the mods, they have a tough job, but there are some that treat others like a red headed step child.

I am not blasting anyone individually, just a fact. My response was about ANY post that gets closed...why do they get closed? Because people (and I said myself too at times) just go too far.

• Members

The thread will NOT be closed because of what i said. I said nothing that would warrant it be closed nor are their rules against speaking the truth.

You are making more out of it and drawing more attention to this with your comments. If you did not want honest debate and discussion, why open a post.

The mods know I am not slamming them. They have alot to do on and so forth, I am just pointing out a fact. Thats it.

• Members

Well, when you don't have the burden of being a minority in some way, you can always brush it off and say "it doesn't affect me, so I don't have to deal with the issue at hand". To an extent certain minorities who also have privilege in other arenas follow that same mentality.

The worst is when someone somehow wants a cookie for having "insert-minority" friend. No, you're not getting any praise nor should you. That's what you should be doing from the get go.

• Members

Exactly. People really show their ignorance when they meet someone black, asian, hispanic, gay, et all and somewhere in conversation talk about the friend they have of said minority persuasion. And I cannot BELIEVE how often it happens.

For example, there was a guy I used to work with who was black that I became really good friends with. I cannot tell you the amount of times I cringed at the kind of things people said around him. We'd find a way to make fun of their ignorance together, but sometimes (like when it's his own dumb b!tch white girlfriend making the comments) there was just no joking around it. We made for good friends though because we saw first hand the kind of ignorance the other had to deal with on a daily basis...........of people who probably are completely unaware that they're being ignorant in the first place. (kinda the definition of ignorant, HuH!) :lol::P

Archived