What are we going to do to save Passions?

• Members

Ok guys, let's think. What kind of campaign can we launch to get NBC to save Passions, or to have another network pick it up??

I'm thinking we should write the advertisers and write everyone at NBC. I'm also going to write other networks in the hopes that they will add Passions.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I think Passions is gone -- at least as we know it.

If it's on the internet, viewers will probably have to pay to see it in order to make a budget. And even so, it will have the production values then of a local access show. And it's completely unlikely that most of the actors will stick around just to act on a show that airs on the internet only.

It won't last on MyNetworkTV, because that is failing, as is. The show would never last.

SoapNet is the best bet, although the budget would have to be slashed like never before. And even on SoapNet, it wouldn't last, IMO. Even in a shortened version. I also don't see the actors staying with the show knowing that it won't be airing on regular network television -- they'll have no exposure. Many (or most) will leave. Who wants to have on their resume that they acted on a soap opera after it had already been cancelled? LoL

• Members

How about you do yourself a favour a give up?

Far better shows (both in daytime and primetime) have been cancelled will less warning and less opportunity for storyline closure. Passions gets until August, which is amazing.

Also, it is extremely hard to reason why a network should undertake the production of a show (since NBC is dropping it, and they produce it, too) that has proven, over an eight-year period, that it has little chance of growing an audience. If I were CBS or ABC, I'd stay far away. No one willingly takes on failure. Like NBC, a network has it thurst upon them unwillingly.

• Members

You are angry because a favourite show is about to disappear... seven months from now. Seven! That is at least five full months of being able to wrap up storylines. The show could end on a high note.

Write to the studio about how much to dislike the move, but just don't expect anything will come of it. Just ask Santa Barbara fans, Sunset beach fans, Another World fans, The City fans.... If better, higher-rated shows weren't saved by similar campaigns, it is very unlikely Passions will be. And the show, while you may not think so, is not exactly something to be proud of, where lower ratings are a trade-off to some sort of high-bred pedigree. I just don't see it happening at all.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I doubt it.

• Members

I have to agree with Andre. I hate that Passions has been canceled but campaigning to get another network to take it is like tap dancing on sand: A lot of effort but very little noise. We couldn't save AW, we couldn't save SuBe, we couldn't save PC and I don't think we'll be able to save Passions. We've all seen soaps get canceled because of low ratings, and simply because they were in the way. It's a business and making money is the bottom line.

Archived