October 2-6, 2006

Toups

• Members

Ademption I don't think NBC is that worried at this point. Days had worst numbers earlier this year and is still only .1 away from 3rd and .2 away from taking 3rd outright. The demos are pretty good too. NBC will worry if Days still gets these ratings a few months after Hogan's material airs. I really hope people start tuning in. I know many people that have gone back but they don't count in the Nielson's. The Nielson's always tends to reflect ratings stunts but not quality. Y&R is the only exception while other shows like ATWT and Days don't see any results for giving out good quality episodes. This really sucks bit hopefully it will get better. Days should see an increase next week and, judging by the horrible numbers for all shows on Thursday and some having bad numbers on Friday, I am just hoping the holiday weekend killed the numbers. Then again, Days did get a 2.2 on Tuesday of last week too so who knows. I just hope next week is better.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I am just trying to be positive and Hogan's stuff only aired at the end of the week. Maybe people told others how great the show was and they watched this week. J&M could help too and so could the LUMI stuff and great Steve/Kayla stuff on Monday. Any kind of increase would be good at this point. Days didn't go up for the Claire drama and fallout, J&J's farewell, Carrie and Austin exposed, etc and that saddens me. Whatever the case-let's hope for better next week and in the weeks to come.

• Members

I am disappointed because I have, essentially, bumped ABC off my soap-watching schedule in order to give back some love to Days, which is on fire. I cannot believe it slipped!

The only thing to which I can attribute its standing is the fact that positions #3 - #8 are SO close. One little shift in any of the demos and suddenly ATWT is down nearer to GL -- or up near B&B. It's a matter of hundreds of viewers here and there.

I am hoping that all the good Days' buzz builds up into some major ratings ass-whupping come November and December (including GH's "Pumpkinhead Awakens!" stunt).

• Members

Cat, when does Jane Eyre come on BBC America? I think it was you that gave me heads up about North and South a few years ago, when you saw it in Britain before it came here to the States.

I hope that this new BBC version of Jane Eyre is better than the one that aired on A&E a few years ago and vastly better than the one with William Hurt about 10 years ago or so....

• Members

Yay for ATWT at #3. How many weeks in a row now? How long since this happened for them. I am so happy. I know the rating could be better but I am just glad that they are staying up there for awhile.

I have enjoyed the last 8 weeks equally the same, but I know that some said the show got boring for awhile. But the last 2 weeks and even this week have been great.

• Members

LOL, I have only seen one or two epiosdes so far (there are four in total) -- thank you, kind friends who sent them to me! -- and the show is produced in conjunction witn WGBH in Boston. This was the same production team as Bleak House which came to BBC America earlier this year. So, I'm thinking JE will show up on BBC America in early 2007. I'll check it out for you, but I can't see the BBC giving a big ratings-winner to PBS when they could repeat it on their own US channel.

I have to say, I love it so far, even though Jane's childhood (about FIVE chapters in the book!) was over and done with after 15-20 minutes in the first episode! Jane starts off quite passive and quiet at first, but her character is building towards some explosive confrontations so far and the actress who plays her is doing a great job. The guy who plays Mr. Rochester, though, is a revelation. I never thought Toby Stephens was all that as an actor (he played a [!@#$%^&*] baddie in the last Brosnan Bond film) but he's very good here. Gruff, sarcastic and charming. Better than Hurt, IMO.

Nice to "read" you again, ademption.

• Members

I have to tell you the truth, I've been forgetting when Days is coming on, I've lost that much interest in it. The reason being it's too choppy, moves too fast and the stories are too disjointed to follow and believe. Not only that but I do not like Sami anymore so lost interest in her and there is just nothing to root for. I know it's the transition, but until Hogan gets into his big mystery, this is just not good at all.

• Members

AMC deserves it's low ratings. MEK's acting was outstanding, and making Tad the killer was a good move. BUT... that alone can't raise the ratings. The emphasis on teens and newbies, and away from characters folks care about and know... have driven people away.

Weeks of Colby and the Teen scene lost viewers. And it's not an individual episode that will bring ratings up... it's the epys around that show... we had weeks of teens, and most viewers did not KNOW what was coming the wonderful MEK days. They only knew what came before it... Trash, abuse, sex without romance, and nasty foul mouthed teens who are very unlikeable.

If that stuff is the bulk of the show- why ought folks tune in? Even for those few (very few) stellar moments? AMC has made terrible decisions since Frons took over... despite a few bumps in ratings, it's declined. And it's hard to get soap veiwers BACK once you lose them.

• Members

Oh, good!! I didn't miss it!! I don't watch BBC America regularly so I'm always afraid that I'm going to miss one of the BBC dramas. BBC America is nice but I wish that we got regular BBC here too (so that we wouldn't have to wait for stuff to air there first).

Thank you so much for the heads up about Jane Eyre. It sounds like a good version of the movie. It's one of my favorite pieces of literature but maybe b/c the role of Jane Eyre is so complex, I haven't really seen a classic version of it, like say Colin Firth's Pride and Prejudice. A couple of months ago, I bought the Timothy Dalton version of Jane Eyre at Amazon. It was pretty good but VERY long. It covered the entire book and was broadcast in the early 80's. Dalton was a fairly decent Rochester. I'd just like to see a more modern version of the story.

I think I may have told you at the time, but I just want to thank you again for the heads up about North and South. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as good as Wives and Daughters IMHO, but I really liked the story and the lead characters, esp the moody Thornton!! :D

Sorry for going off-topic everyone.

• Members

The thing with DAYS is, it lost its core audience. Supercouples fans, who supported this show for years, are gone. Tired, jaded and scared away by Langan, Highley and Reilly and even best writing in the world will not bring them back anymore. They are lost forever. And a new generation has been written so poorly their fans aren´t yet able to fully support the show. So, the show is in a sort of a limbo and it will take a long time and some really wonderfull and audience captivating stories to rebuild its fans foundation. I think it´s possible and based on the last few weeks, Sheffer is a right guy to do it. But it will be painfull and it will make some people unhappy because years when J/M, B/H and S/K led the show are gone. They are still important, but not the audience grabber they used to be. Shelle, Mabby, Lumi, Chelsea/whoever are the couples which will rule the show in the next few years. And it´s up to Sheffer to make them interesting and popular enough, so they are able to catch the eye of a new generation of viewers and rise the ratings again.

• Members

I think ATWT has been #3 for 7 weeks now. It could be 8 weeks but I think it is 7. It is nice they held on to #3. :) Wish they hadnt dropped though in the numbers. As for Days, I wonder where the Days poster who was hackling the ATWT posters in the ATWT thread is now? He kept saying how great Days was and the ATWT was boring and that it put him to sleep...yada..yada...stuff. How about commenting on Days fall DH? :lol:

• Members

You said it Mitch :) .

I don't agree Jane. Almost everyone I know that stopped watching has returned and I have been to several message boards that had many that tuned out or were mad at Days and now they have gone back and love it. It should be clarified that the Nielson viewers, or those that count, have not made Days a priority and that goes back to the ratings not equaling quality. If they did, Days and ATWT would be much higher then all the rest and would be in the 3's at least with Y&R still leading the way. Instead you have GH beating Days and up there with ATWT and that alone shows things are messed up. I wish there was a better way to measure viewership because it doesn't count so many people. I just hope Days does well next week-it deserves at least a 2.7. I mean it was getting 2.7's all summer when nothing was happening and ever since all the payoffs and good writing the show has struggled. It really does suck :angry: .

I am not sure who you are talking about but, in regards to ATWTm it is good but it has been boring at times these past few weeks. The storm was ok but it just seemed like something ABC would do during sweeps. It was well-done but it came off as a gimmick for me but the performances rocked.

Bottom line-both Days and ATWT deserve better numbers then this but Days has done so much more then ATWT in the past 6 weeks. There have been major payoffs, performances, and twists every week and the show got nothing. J&J's farewell got nothing. Steve/Kayla finally get some awesome material and Bope finally reunites last week and the show drops. Who knows anymore. All I am saying is Days does not deserve this and either does ATWT but Days dropping is much more surprising given what is going on.

• Members

It's improved and has been good but it hasnt been damn good as u say. Belle/NuShawn/Mimi/Philip has been good but it has never been a ratings grabber. I dont know why but it hasnt. And NuShawn I am not impressed like the rest of the Days fans are. He is just meh. Nothing real special. And Mimi...cant act. The ratings will probably still go up for Days in a couple of weeks. Hogan just started. He didnt raise the ratings for ATWT overnight.

And when Days ratings do go up let's see if Mitch will say they are bullshit. I bet u wont. :P

Archived