September 18-22, 2006

Toups

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a Shelle fan at all and it would be really surprising if DAYS get a boost from the Mimi reveal. It's not like the majority of fans have been waiting for a Shelle reunion although this is where it seems the show is headed.

The Claire reveal took too long and was very anti-climatic since it was so predictable. It's hard to get a boost from something where the writers have more or less bludgeoned viewers to death about for almost a year - - does anyone really care about Claire or who her daddy is at this point. NO.

• Members

Your right Dayswoman and that is a reflection of today and the way soaps need to tell stories now.

Ten years ago fans were ok waiting nearly a year for a payoff. In fact, fans were ok waiting more then a year but now everything has to breakneck pace. This story was not and was dragged out so long. It would've been different if there were other story beats thrown in but it was basically Shawn is the dad, Philip is not and Mimi lied. Case closed. The in-vitro thing ties in a little bit but that didn't come along until recently and it was too late to throw any excitement into a story that was already just waiting to be ended.

I personally like waiting awhile for a story to climax because I like to invest as a fan and there is always something amazing about waiting for a huge story to end after months or years of waiting. That is what we got from JER's 1st run on Days. Part of the fun of the payoffs of his stories was we went years waiting for J&M's reunion and Sami's downfall. It added some punch to it but those stories also had more twists and turns that kept them interesting over a long period of time. Y&R used to tell long-drawn out stories as well until the last few years. It can't be done anymore though. Fans have more options and less time. Gone are the days when people watched a show out of loyalty and had some patience. There are still people like that, as you can see here on SON, but mostly they are a rare commodity.

I will disagree with you about Mimi's downfall. Days got rises in ratings all summer when nothing happened and for the week that so much happened they got nothing. The weeks you expect nothing you will get an increase so I am thinking/hoping that Days will get a +1 for this past week. Afterall, these things tend to happen when a show gets no rise for the week before when it deserved it.

• Members

Thanks Toups for posting last weeks ratings. I am anxiously awaiting this weeks. I will root for Passions until the end and I am so hoping that it went up in some key demos. Hopefully the next couple of months will see a rise in the ratings for Passions as well as for Days of our Lives. I'm not going to start stressing about Passions until I see what the ratings are at renewal time. So the next couple of months are going to be pretty crucial for Passions.

• Members

In my personal opinion, Days is having a hard time for one major reason. On top of being promised that the vets would be featured more, when was the last time S/K, J/M, and some of the other vets have been featured? The show is light years ahead of where it was, but they need to start kicking in with the promised stories. But, the major reason? I have been trying to get a friend of mine to start watching Days once again, because it has improved greatly, but he keeps saying that he has been burned so many times by lousy writing on Days that he just can't see himself investing back into it. That seems to be the biggest reason why Days can't, for right now, climb up from Number 3.

But......at least it's at Number 3. Where was it at 6 months ago? Fighting for the bottom 3. So, for right now, even though I feel every Days fan, I'll take it.

But these stories need to start.

Now. :)

Archived