ER: Discussion Thread

R!ck

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WOAH are you serious?

And if Carol is coming back are they bringing DOUG back? I'll admit that it pissed me off that ER didn't see fit to have the two of them make a guest appearance at Mark's funeral or in some way acknowledge that they 3 of them were so close...

Anyways I can do without Carter...the actor needs to make up his mind about what he wants. I don't want Carter to just come and go randomly...lets either have him stay and get involved in a REAL storyline or just disappear into the abyss.

And Jeanie Boulet just to let you know...shes always been a fav of mine. Such a tender hearted character. Shes one of the few thats always made me feel empathy for her without even trying.

• Members

Reuben will be great. Fantastic return. I heard about Margulies but Clooney will be tough. They tried to get both her and Clooney back for Mark's death but they were busy with other projects and I heard Clooney outright refused.

ER has had a creative resurgence the past two and a half years and it seems ER wants to leave the air more then NBC wants it too. ER still brings in fair ratings and that is pretty good for NBC right now. However, with the impending exits of Abby and Pratt and with Luka likely leaving for good with Abby, it may be time to shut down. Abby and Luka are the heart of the soul and are the big reason why the show surged the past few years.

One thing about this year is the focus is on the hospital alone for the most part and I like that. It seems like a return to basics and to the early years. With Moretti, they seem to be poking fun at the show's mistakes in recent years by having him change management style and so on. Tucci has been superb and I would make him a regular in a heartbeat if the show continues.

Oh, and about Wyle, I am not big on him. When he became the lead, he was too dominating. He brought the show down and didn't have enough charisma. Goran did a better job and I think it's because Luka was always pushed to the back with Carter around. Carter was shoved down the fans' throats at times, just like the Carter/Abby relationship was. My fear is that Carter is coming back for more then seeing the creation of his clinic through. I know some of what is going to happen to Abby and while I know Luka is returning too, I don't want Carter involved in their lives in a way other then friendship. Fans waited too long for Luka and Abby and finally have what they want and don't need Carter messing that up. To me, Carter represents the lost years when ER was all over the place and over the top.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree completely. Abby's pain was so palpable, so raw. I hurt just watching it.

I just don't know what the hell her co workers were thinking. Doesn't everyone know that she's an alcoholic? How the hell did they let her sit there and drink herself into a drunken stupor? :angry:

• Members

They knew and I think the justification was that they figured she was blowing up some steam. I think Pratt is the only one that knows her long enough personally to know she is a recovering alcoholic, which is probably why he was the only one concerned and the only one trying to wake her up.

I thought it was quite ironic how Pratt gave her hell on the infant patient but that, even in her time of trouble, Abby got it right. She saved that baby's life so there was some redemption for her. I am a big Luka/Abby fan and, in that regard, I hate that it seems she slept with Moretti. I love Tucci but I don't like where they are going with him. He is getting creepy and I don't know why he has gone from stern leader to where he is now. However, I see the dramatic potential here and think it's a way of bringing Abby full circle in a sense. This is the first time she has gone through her life being a mess while having someone there for her but not really there for her. It should be interesting. It kind of ruins Luka's homecoming but it will still be nice to see next week.

Tierney deserves a nod and win. I haven't seen nothing like that in primetime this year. Nothing.

• Members

Well i finally got around to watching the episode...I didn't like the first few episodes of the season, but the two female casting additions (ladies from 24) got me to tune in..I love Reiko Aylesworth in this role, and she and John Stamos have so much chemistry..Much better than his chemistry with Neela...

On to the episode..this was one of the best episodes in a long time..Maura Tierney was phenomenal..Like you Shawn, it pained me watching Abby's downward spiral..I've been a fan of Abby's since she started and i've seen all the ups and downs..And its hard seeing her go through a down period again..But addicts fall off the wagon all the time...Its a life struggle, and i'm glad they are continuing to portray her battle with alcoholism...But I was shocked that Abby and Morietti had sex, as i didn't them going there....i'm sure we'll see the ramifications of this drunken sex romp in the weeks to come..

Also i liked Sam's new guy...Wasn't he on Sunset Beach? And i liked that Morris confided in Pratt that he didn't pass the boards..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Another terrific episode with another performance by Maura Tierney that moved me to tears.

For God's Sake, give the woman an EMMY!

On a sidenote, I just had to say that this season has been consistently good, probably the best season in some time. I'm glad that with age, ER is getting back to its glory.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wow...people responded in this thread? It's so hard to find ER fans nowadays :lol:.

I couldn't agree more about Maura. She has been superb all year, most notable during "Blackout," the 300th episode, and last week's episode. I did get a sense of finality with that scene last week after Abby had left but I don't see them taking her out that way. The character of Abby has been the heart and soul for awhile now so I see her getting a big sendoff after the strike. They also opened a whole new can of worms when Sam asked Abby about drinking on the job. You could cut the tension with a knife. Sam is starting to get on my nerves and Gates actually brings out the worse and her. Her character was turning around last year at the end and now she is two-timing men, acting like an arrogant bitch, and hardly ever mentions her son. I am actually starting to like Gates better then her.

Let's also remember Abby still has not told Luka about Moretti so that is another story point they still have to handle.

I also love Julia with Gates. She makes him tolerable but I think Julia is nearing her end after tonight's episode with that patient ripping her apart. Plus, Gates is out of the picture and with Sam and Julia and her portrayer are still listed as a guest role.

One thing the past three episodes have done is show major growth in Pratt. It started with Gloria Reuben's return, which was superb (bring her back for good!) and now I buy Pratt as a lead character. I hope that continues. I will say Abby's absence in the past 2 of 3 episodes has been very noticeable but it's pretty much for the best that she leaves now given Goran has left and only returns off and on. They would have to break up Luka and Abby and that would anger people.

Also, as funny as it is, I hate how they have screwed with Neela and made her comic relief. In fact, they have done that with all the surgeons and now with Neela's turn in ortho, with them too. It's a joke and Morris has regressed too. He was always funny but now it's cartoonish and just when I started liking Harold, they make him into a sideshow again. That is one of the problems I have had with this season. I know Neela was the "it" romantic lead last year and she needed a break from serious stuff but this has been overall horrible IMO.

ER has been very good overall the past 2 and a half years. It really doesn't get enough credit.

• Members

I'm a huge fan! Been watching full time since Maura came on because I loved her so much on Newsradio.

I have to say that the show is just not the same with her not on it. I know that she and Goran are leaving permanently after this season wraps (if it ever does...thanks WRITERS STRIKE!), and its going to take getting used to on my part.

ICAM about Neela's storyline and the fact that Morris is back to the annoying [!@#$%^&*] that he was when he first started. Its as if the writers thought: "Well his growth made him boring. Let's revert back." For that, I want to hit them upside their heads.

I also don't like Sam's transformation either. She's just a nasty bitch lately who cares more about dates than she does her own son (although it was nice to see her show a softer side when she told the rape victim about her own tragic experience)

Gates needs to go. Plain and simple. He's done every woman in the ER. John Stamos deserves better.

And GR was superb. She needs to be back full time.

I'm looking forward to Noah Wylie's planned return as well.

This show has been underrated the last few years. Its a travesty. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived