ER: Discussion Thread

R!ck

• Members

Ray being double-amputated was a huge shock. I think it looks like Shane West(Ray) is out. I hope Neela's not severely injured. Gonna miss Goran Visnjac(Luka) as a regular next season. I'm not too thrilled with Stanley Tucci(Moretti), he's a total prick so far.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i couldn't believe it. oh ray... i wanted my reela soooo badly.

now THIS is a medical drama.

the last 2 seasons have rocked.

ER has become one of my top favorite shows er.. and I haven't even seen all 13 seasons.

I really can't wait till next season...I really do hope SW comes back.

• Members

Exactly. I know many think ER jumped the shark but the past 2 seasons has been superb. This is medical drama at it;s best. Grey's Anatomy is nothing more then a primetime soap posting as a medical drama. ER has instituted some soapy aspects with the Ray/Neela/gates stuff and all the couplings it has had over they years but, at it's heart, is the medical stories that tie the canvas together. They have the best cast they have had in years, with the exception of Stamos, and a new capable leader in Stanley Tucci. Luka will be missed but he will appear many times next season and Ray may as well. Shane West's future is very much up in the air at this point.

ER has always had stunts and gimmicks since the show started so that is nothing new. I encoruage any former fans to get back into the show and any new fans to give the show a try. This is still the best ensemble medical drama on TV (I don't consider House an ensemble) and it deserves much more respect and recognition for getting back on track the past two seasons then it actually gets. Without TV Guide, I swear no one would cover this show and it does not deserve the lack of praise and coverage it recieves.

• Members

I thought the beginning of this season was great, but i lost interest for the most part...But still continued watching out of habit..Abby and Luka's wedding was nicely done, and the shocker with Ray getting hit by the bus was unexpected..I'm happy that the show didn't just kill him off, the amputee thing was much better..and more shocking...I thought the finale was pretty good..I love the addition of Stanley Tucci to the show, he's just what was needed...The end with Neela was good as it provided a cliffhanger..

I will watch ER next season, but i really hope its the last season of the show..I don't see it going on much longer...I say when Abby leaves, ER should end...

• Members

A few months ago Kev, I would agree. However, they have been phasing Abby and Luka out for the last part of the season. You can tell they are building for life without them. I like the addition of Tucci and if they can somehow make Stamos tolerable and continue to develop Pratt as a leader, they can be fine. They need to make Hope and Pratt's love interest regulars. Those two are great. I also heard Noah Wyle may be returning next season and that Laura Innes may return for at least a short run. They also need to lock up Tucci and maybe add a female member in her late 30's/early 40's to the show. That would help.

They got some strong characters in Pratt, Sam, and Morris and if they can somehow work on Stamos and fix the character destruction of Neela this past season, they will have a solid cast yet again. They could also make Dubenko a regular. He has been on long enough.

ER has a fine ability to reload after major characters leave and I beleive they have already begun setting up for that. They were prepared for the exits of Luka and Abby. Ray's they weren't and the double amputation actually was a last minute thing. I think it was their way of leaving it open for him to return should the pilot flop. It would also give him a meaty story when he returns.

The season began well on the heels of the momentum built during season 12. That season 12 finale really got ER back to amazing levels. I thought the season stayed at that level overall until after the Forest Whittaker story arc ended. Then it was all buildup to the end of the season and the wedding. Four of the final 6 episodes were good and the wedding was amazing. My problem with the final two episodes was that they felt like season premieres. We had the introduction to Tucci as chief and the resolution of Gates/Neela/Ray and then we got a preview of the changes that Tucci's character may bring to the ER. It just felt like a new season on the heel of the wedding, which felt like a finale. The Neela cliffhanger would make a good mid-season one but it wasn't a great finale one. Last year with Luka strapped to a bed, Abby lying in a pool of blood, and Sam kidnapped while Jerry was being taken care of after being shot was AMAZING. Hell, the mid season cliffhangers that built up to the climax of the Forest Whittaker story arc were better.

I still think they should have ended with the wedding. Ray getting hit would've made a great season ending cliffhanger, especially the way they did it which felt like Ray had died.

It will be an interesting season next year to see what happens, who goes, and so on.

Also, something of note, FW submitted in supporting actor for the primetime emmy's. Everyone thought he would go guest star but he had enough appearances to go supporting and I think it's ER's way of getting a nod and win. Plus, Stamos submitted in supporting and it seems there is alot of buzz around him too. Of course, Tierney and Visjnic submitted in lead and I really hope they get nods. Luka and Abby have been central characters and Maura and Goran have did amazing work in the past year. ER hardly gets recognition anymore so I think FW is their only chance sadly.

• Members

i think Dr. Benton and Corday need to return. It would be awsome if they ended the show with Carol and Doug getting married and everyone going to the wedding or something fun. or if they could get Carol to come back she would be good. or even some of the old nurses where did they all go? how bout giving Chuni a storyline.

• Members

That's actually a good idea but Chuni has been on the show for awhile and was never upgraded from recurring so I doubt it.

As for Carol and Doug, they are most likely aready married since they reunited at the end of season 6. I heard rumblings of Carol making a comeback but I doubt it. The only hints of comebacks I beleive may be true are Noah Wyle (which is actually true), Laura Innes (which is likely true), and Sherry Stringfield (wouldn't surprise me but after the way she left the second time not sure). I don't see anyone else returning. Kingston will never return. She got a raw deal and ER is lucky she didn't sue. Benton may come back but I don't know if they would bring him back. He lacked personality and I don't think he fits in with the current ensemble.

The only two I would take back are Susan and Kerry Weaver. They fit well with the ensemble. My problem with Wyle is he tended to dominate everything and it felt like it was all about him, unlike during Mark Green's tenure and Luka's recent tenure.

As much as I loved Greene's death and how it was written, I wish they didn't do it because I know he would return. He is one that would take a few years off and return for sure.

• Members

Susan was my fav character both times hated that she was written off quietly like that always thought she should be with Mark, Corday would probably come back if the right offer was made. after all if your not making any money, any amount of money is better than none lol....i would love for anyone to come back even Chin Mae

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I just recently got back into ER fulltime (I was kinda on again/off again for a couple of years). The only reason I tuned in was because I have a soft spot for Neela. Plus I'd been hearing a lot about her and Gates.

The show seems to be alright again with the addition of Gates and the new doc (the guy from The Devil Wears Prada). I'm kinda looking forward to this season. However there are still a lot of issues.

However I"m extremely shocked and disappointed at what they did to Ray...this is a character that had so much potential. For them to just cut his legs off like that is crazy to me.

Plus his chemistry with Neela was scorching...like seriously they never even kissed or had sex and yet you could feel the heat between them.

Just sad all around. I just wish I could go back in time and stop them from doing some things on ER. For one thing I'd reverse the decision to kill off Lucy Knight. To this day I still cry when I watch the episode where she died.

I'm done with ER though if they kill off Neela. Shes like the ONLY real character I care for anymore. Luka & Abby are just boring nowadays. Sam is nonexistant and since they changed her son from being annoying yet cute to being this psychotic lil freak I'm completely over the character. None of the nurses are charming, funny, or even remotely endearing as Carol, Haleh, or the original ones.

• Members

I got into ER again too because of Neela... and stuck around because of the potential of Neela and Ray hooking up. But after the mess they pulled with Ray, and how I can't stand Gates all over the screen... my love has faded. I probably won't be around much or at all this season, with the way it looks like Neela and Gates will be together again.

Archived