How do you store your DVDs?

KMan101

• Members

Hey all ... I was just curious how you store your DVDs.

I have a TON (and I repeat TON) of TV Shows on DVD. I am seriously having a hard time storing them all and was thinking of ditching the boxes and just keeping the discs in one of those folders that holds discs... I hate to do it but storage is a major problem.

How do you guys store your stuff?

I wish TV shows could be packaged like regular movies, in one slim box that stores easier. I don't know why they can't release just one case with the four/five/six discs in little flip thingys inside the box ...

And yes :lol: I'm bored ...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

You're thinking of getting rid of the boxes? Are you crazy? One of the reason why I buy TV shows on DVD is because of the box. LOL I like collection "box" sets. LOL

For my VCR tapes, I put them in boxes. One of my boxes has about 80 tapes of Passions. LOL

• Members

Krypton, that is the AGE OLD question. I remember one day feeling very guilty when I got sick of CD jewel cases, and considered buying a zip-locked folder for all of them. And I did. And honestly? I have NEVER been happier because of that decision. No more clutter! Now, as my DVD collection has expanded, I'm currently considering the same strategy. But for some reason, it's MUCH harder to apply the same decision to movies. For some reason, with the movies, it's the HARDEST decision I have ever had to make! So I'd like to know the answer, too!

• Members

I'd never get rid of the boxes that go along with my boxed sets. :blink: IMO, it's such an easy way to keep everything neat and organized. I categorize all my DVDs (gay movies, cult classics, vintage, disaster, modern horror, moder comedy, etc.) and keep all my TV DVD boxed sets grouped together (same show with different seasons grouped next to one another in chronological order). Now, for my programs I record on my computer, I edit out the commercials and burn them to DVD (from those large spindles) and then store those in a DVD/CD book, labeled appropriately. I've got almost this entire year of Days, ATWT, and GL in one large book.

• Members

Matt, I've heard you mention on several occasions how you record your soaps on your computer but you never mentioned exactly how to do it. PLEASE let us know how we can committ our favorites forever with this intriguing concept!!

On topic, that's why I have a problem with this dilemma. Technically, you can still organize DVDs with just the CD/DVD binder. Little tabs can separate the sections according to your organization. Like I said, this is the HARDEST decision I have EVER had to make, and that's why I keep putting it off, whether to make the switch. But one of these days, I just won't be able to run anymore... :(

• Members

I won't be doing the binder thing to my movies I have on DVD, just for the TV shows. I'm still torn though. I really don't see the big deal about the boxes, lol. I can still have them organized. The episodes are what matters, not the cheap cardboard box.

• Members

I have a TV Tuner Card on my computer. I have my cable hooked into both my computer as well as my TV. I simply set my computer to record my soaps everyday (it can record in a variety of formats and video sizes, I'm recording as mpegs) and then I have an mpeg video editor where I can go back and edit the commercials out of each episode to the exact frame (making the cuts seamless and invisible). I can also run a cable from my vcr into my TV Card and record things that way. Unfortunately, I haven't done that in a while and I've forgotten how to hook it up. :blink:

• Members

I store all of mine in a binder, but I keep the empty boxes in my closet b/c I would never throw them away. I alphabetize my discs, and it's easy to know if there's a DVD missing (if someone borrows one). I also stuck post-its on the sleeves w/ the title and disc number just b/c I'm really OCD about things like that. I live at college, so it's just more practical for me since it's so easy to just take all of my DVDs back home with me during breaks.

They have really nice storage binders at Target where you can flip through the CDs very quickly (kind of like a Roladex). There's also a thing at this store near my school where you hang this thing (it looks like a shower curtain almost) on the wall and you put your CDs in the sleeves.

If you don't want to do that, you could buy a container to store under your bed or behind your sofa. There are under-the-bed containers (sometimes they have wheels). Or if you have room, you can buy storage cubes and store all your DVDs in them (it depends on how many you have though). The cubes can stack or be locked together (with magnets). They're more popular with CDs, but I know that they sell some big enough for DVDs to fit in.

Also, I know that Target was selling 3 shelf bookcases for only $20 last week.

• Members

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!!!!

I have most of 2006's ATWT (missing a few weeks in Jan, and a few episodes here and there) and the second half of 2005 on boring, grainy, quality sucks over time VHS!!!

I have no idea what to look for when buying a DVD recorder, and I don't have a DVD OR CD burner. :(

Do you record them on a DVD+-R or can your PC record on regular old CD's?

• Members

See, I'd do the opposite. Movies in the binder, and box sets kept intact. But that's just me.

I have a bookshelf for them all, so I have the boxes for everything anyway.

But, if I was going to choose, I'd keep the TV Boxes. They make me happy. I don't know why. Haha.

• Members

For me the big draw is the boxes for TV Shows on DVD!! I love to look at my bookcase and see the complete collection of FRIENDS, Sex and the City, Dawson's Creek, etc.

I don't know. Another way to go up on the wall. Find shelving that you can hang. Just a suggestion!!

• Members

Keep the TV Boxes. You may have to resell on eBay someday and it would look alot cleaner to sell if they were in their original box.

I have a much smaller collection than most, probably, but I love looking at my collection when I'm biored with TV and deciding which shows to watch.

Archived