How do you store your DVDs?

KMan101

• Members

That changes the central burden of the dilemma, bellcurve. So the question, then, becomes whether you're someone who buys things that you will NEVER give away. Personally, I'd never buy ANYTHING I'd sell again to somebody. Not like music or DVDs. If I like, it, well, that likely won't change. So the answer for me is, storing in binders is NOT part of my decision making process because I won't need the original packaging to add value for a later resell. That said, I STILL don't know whether I'll go 'binder.' Although one thing that tips the scales is the fact that binder is MUCH easier for travelers. Imagine having to load up a whole bookcase of DVDs that fit in ONE binder that you can grab 'n' go. So I'm leaning in the binder direction. Then again, is there something that SECURES your DVDs? That is, makes your collection thief-proof? It's always nice to err on the side of caution.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

omg this is starting to hit me as well, as anyone can see by clicking the URL of my collection in my signature.

I cant ditch the boxes, its a factor in my purchase. I have 2 bookshelves in my room that are used to keep them stored ... but I've filled those up also. I can't easily fit a 3rd bookshelf in my room, nor do I really want to. But right now I have sets piled up on my desk, the fronts of my bookshelves, my dvd player, everywhere ... and it's horrible.

the shows I download, record on the dvd recorder, or burn copies of from Zip.ca are in binders. And I've got a shitload of those too ... the entire series of the 1960s Batman, every episode of Strange Paradise, nearly every serial of the original Doctor Who from BBCKids (cept the black/white seasons which they dont show).

I'm most annoyed that it's only 2006 where studios are recognizing the value of Slim Packaging! I wish they'd set up some kind of program where you can order just the new packaging for existing sets (ie the Stargate franchise - though ive not bought em, or the Buffy sets).

• Members

That's like me. I'm nearing 100 music CDs now and I think I've only gotten rid of one because I thought it was crap after the first few listens but even though I don't listen to a lot of them now, I have a soft spot for every single one because I really did enjoy the music at one point and have a feeling that I might be in the mood to listen to some of that music again later.

The TV shows I've recorded and edited, though..I have gone through so many re-edits (especially soaps..I delete scenes like crazy when I stop liking a certain couple/character). Unfortunately, I do it all on VHS and the quality becomes soo crappy..even episodes as early as last year look worn out that I don't know whether I should keep them or just tape over them again. :( But yeah, the re-edits have prevented me from having a ton of shoeboxes (I only have two surprisingly) stored in my closet. :lol:

• Members

I store all of my movies/tv shows in the boxes/cases they came in.

I have hundred and hundred of DVD its ridiculous, sometimes I wonder if I could return all of them how much cash I would make.

I store all of my movies/tv shows in the boxes/cases they came in.

I have hundred and hundred of DVD its ridiculous, sometimes I wonder if I could return all of them how much cash I would make.

• Members

I know what you mean about edit HELL. I remember in 2001 when I started editing my "Passions" tapes (and that's how I learned about quality decreasing with VHS, lol). Well, I stopped doing that after a few weeks and stuck with the tried-and-true, which worked since 2000 for that show. JUST record it in SP mode and have the whole episode. It's the best way. For me, anyway. That way, I don't have to worry about wasting precious moments of life by editing, re-editing and what? All for naught, due to the loss in quality. To this day, I will ONLY record :39/SP mode "Passions" vids on brand new tapes. No commercials, best VHS quality and later, sometime, I'll burn them to DVDs to cut down on required storage space. The best way to forget about editing soaps, for me anyway, is JUST to record the 'big event' episodes, where each story should be great and "vault" material. Of course, if it's something gimmicky and criticially acclaimed like Bollywood, that's a go, too. But as a VERY busy professional, I find I have no time for edits. I can work my lunch to record "Passions" live for the :39/SPs for the vault on some days, but I can't continue my promo archive. It's too much work.

Archived