2006: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I presume tha in general it is a good thing. But generalisations are tricky business. Someone might work out just fine, somone else might be a total disaster. There are no rules.

Experiments are good, but only when done with care. HWs should be forever watchful. Or they might get burnt.

• Members

In my opinion, ALB isn't extraordinary. I mean, she's good, don't get me wrong. But she's what a script writer is supposed to be. All the others were falling down on the job at AMC.

She has miles to go before she's the equivalent to General Hosptial's Michele Val Jean or Mary Sue Price in my book. MVJ is just phenomenal all around. She's great at drama, comedy, confrontation, romance, all of it. Her dialog is tailored made to each character. The way Skye speaks in an MVJ script is different from the way Alexis speaks. Sonny's moments tend to be more honest and less bravado. Mary Sue Price has the ability to express the character's true intentions in her dialog. She doesn't mince words. And there's less redundancy in her scripts. AND I LOVE HER CONFRONTATIONS!!!

Beall over on AMC has a tendency to be snappy with the dialog, but I notice characters saying a lot of the same things in her episodes. Like specific sayings such as "shut me down" seem to leak out of three different characters in a single episode. Her concept of character POV is good, but she doesn't write in their voices. It's more like she's explaining their POV's but in her words. While her take is more "honest", it's still not their own words.

That's what's missing at AMC. Distinct character voices. The dialog as a whole has become homogenized. Listening to Kendall rattle on about !@#$%^&*], slut, whore Dixie is just the same as listening to Amanda rattle on about !@#$%^&*], slut, whore Babe which is just like listening to JR rattle on about !@#$%^&*], slut, whore Amanda and !@#$%^&*], slut, whore Babe.

• Members

We disagree again, R Sinclair. LOL. I think Amanda is (was) one of the best scripters in daytime. It's all moot now since she's doing breakdowns now and won't be going back. I find her kind of extraordinary because she (and Karen Lewis) were able to turn in A-level scripts despite the fact they had some of the worst storylines imaginable to work with, considering Megan was their HW and all.

I find Mary Sue Price to be THE worst GH script writer. I find her work to be generally mediocre. I wouldn't even think of putting her near the level of Michele Val Jean.

• Administrator

Agreed. I wouldn't put MSP in MVJ's league at all.

For me, it's:

Tier 1 - Perfection

Patrick Mulcahey - he's out of EVERYONE's league.

Tier 2 - Excellent

Michele Val Jean, Amanda L. Beall, Josh Griffith, Richard Culliton, Sofia Landon Geier, Elizabeth Korte

• Members

Never understood the Mulcahey hype. :unsure: I started watching GH regularly in 2000. By then, Mulcahey was a memory. I only saw one episode he wrote thanks to a Brenda marathon on Soap Net when Vanessa returned to GH back in 2002. It was the episode after Brenda died and Jax returned to the penthouse, and Tammy brought Alan into the clinic to be treated by Tony. It wasn't a fair assessment of his work.

And I don't know what criteria you both are using to determine the quality of work, but all I know is back in the "old days" of ABCD when the writing credits were at the close of the shows, it always appeared to be MVJ or MSP as the GH scriptwriters of the episodes I particularly enjoyed. :unsure:

I guess my work would be viewed as subpar too. :mellow:

• Administrator

Yeah, she's the script editor and she's also an associate head writer.

But her scripts are really good, IMO, even though I don't like her bias towards certain characters.

Not on a daily basis. Michael Minnis and Elizabeth Snyder are Bell's associate head writers.

• Members

Does anyone know if the material we will see on screen in the next few weeks/months will be partly what Burton Amos wants or will it strictly be McTavish's stuff??? Would he start directing the storylines now or would he wait until she is completely finished before he starts to implement the changes he wants?

I am just wondering if McTavish is going to be given the next few weeks to tie up all her storylines and ideas. Or is Burton going to be influencing her stuff and limiting what she can do. I am wondering if McTavish did something in the next few weeks that Burton hated would he be able to stop it or is he just going to have to rewrite when he starts.

In other words, how do transitions like this usually work???

Thanks.

Archived