2006: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members
I sometimes (read: all the time) hate the 'secretiveness' of daytime. Why is it so hard to find out who are these people that write these fictional lives for us, how did they get involved in the business, why was John F. Smith chosen to be groomed for a possible HW duty... Questions that will remain unanswered. Forever, perhaps.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
REMEMBER THIS?

The search is over! Michele Val Jean has secured the top post as head writer of General Hospital. A longtime scribe with the show, Val Jean has held the position of associate head writer since 1996. Her promotion also recognizes Val Jean as daytime's first African-American head writer.

Val Jean, whose credits include Jake and the Fatman and Generations, joined the GH writing team in 1993 as an editor/script writer. Surviving several writing regimes, Val Jean made daytime history by penning Liz's rape and the revisitation of Luke's rape of Laura. She and the GH writing team received the 1998-99 Daytime Emmy for their efforts; Val Jean also received a Daytime Emmy for the 1994-95 season.

Elizabeth Korte has also been promoted to the headwriting team. "Michele and Elizabeth have a significant history with General Hospital," says executive producer Wendy Riche. "Their noteworthy story contributions, along with their innate understanding of the characters, make them a natural choice for this team." Val Jean and the new headwriting team's stories will begin to air in February 2001.

• Members

I edited my thought.

That's when I knew the tide was turning, because it hadn't been announced that Guza was coming back yet. Megan was still writing. But when I heard the MVJ news, I knew something was up -- then shortly after that, it was announced that Guza and Pratt would be returning effective immediately in April 2002.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Toups:

Sedwick back at GL...at least she directed on epi in Sept.

I think Fred Johnson is gone as scriptwriter at B&B; hasn't written in a while. Maybe fired when Jim Houghton hired.

Sara Bibel hasn't done a breakdown since Casiello arrived..Im wondering if she's gone.

Also, I know that Minardi-Slater is the script editor, which is why her name appears everyday, like on the ABC soaps (i.e. Beldner, Korte etc). The days it's just Slater and the scriptwriter, I believe the breakdown is written by either Alden or Smith. I think you should reflect that in the summaries. At least it's interesting to note which breakdowns are written by the HW. I doubt Latham is outlining the individual epis, so it has to be Alden or Smith.

Just my two cents

• Administrator

I'll wait another month just to make sure before I change their profiles.

NMS being script editor makes sense. I guess I'll go edit her name out of the episodes I credited her with BDW. Do you when when she became the script editor?

• Members

LISA SEIDMAN

Lisa Seidman received her undergraduate degrees in English and French at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and flew to Los Angeles the day after defending her Masters thesis in English Literature at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. After starving the requisite number of years, Lisa began work as a free-lance TV writer for shows as diverse as Whiz Kids, Cagney & Lacey and Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Two years after writing Scarecrow, Lisa was hired as story editor on Falcon Crest. After a year on the show, she spent two years on Dallas as executive story consultant. Lisa has also written two, one-hour dramatic pilots and co-wrote the four-hour mini-series, Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-de-Sac. In between staff positions, Lisa free-lanced for Star Trek: The Next Generation®, Charlie's Angels '88, Dangerous Curves, and Silk Stalkings. She also wrote two pilots and an episode for Murder, She Wrote.

Lisa Seidman is also a Writers' Guild Award-nominated television writer for Sunset Beach, Aaron Spelling's first daytime soap opera, for which she won a Shine award. She has also written for General Hospital, One Life to Live, Guiding Light and Days of Our Lives, and has spent the last two and a half years as headwriter of three successful primetime historical serials in Russia (one of them being Bednaya Nastya). A Killing in the Ratings, a mystery set behind the cameras, is her first novel, and she is in the process of completing a new novel, Sinners and Lovers, about Henry VIII and his wives as if they lived in the latter half of the twentieth century.

Archived