2006: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chip Hayes, Rebecca Taylor, and Courtney Bugler (Megan's relative, mind you) are GONE from "AMC." The two scripters have already written their last work, Chip still has a few more weeks to go.

Joanna Cohen is also gone, but she was never on-contract anyway.

Ship McTavish has officially sunk.

• Administrator

Thanks for the scoop, Jackie.

Any idea who decided to get rid of them? JHC, Frons, Armus? Heard anything about new writers coming to replace them?

I heard that the AMC writing team wants someone from OLTL to join the writing staff. I wonder if it'll happen. This was a couple months ago though so maybe things fell through. There was also talk about another writer joining the writing team, but this writer just joined another soap's writing staff.

• Members

I am cautiously optimistic. Frankly, I think one of the biggest problems AMC has is the dialogue writing which I find to be in many instances to be abysmal plot directed drivel that does not help make sense of the convoluted stories that are being told.

Is there any word on firing the EP. She is responsible for the entire show and I think she is awful.

• Administrator

Can't wait to see who joins the staff.

Things are getting interesting now backstage! Y&R are having major changes to their writing staff, same with DAYS, and soon AMC. I love it!! I love these writer changes. It keeps this thread alive and busy. LOL

• Members

I've always had little problems with Latham, but I don't think she's nearly as bad as some people say. I think Y&R is the best it has been in years, most of my concerns are "what if's." Like the new writing staff, adding someone like Bernie Lechowick (granted they're married lol) is a GREAT addition for any show, but as Toups said, adding so many writers in a short time span can cause continuity problems. Hopefully Jack Smith and Kay Alden are keeping them in tune with the history of the show.

Speaking of, his character is about to die on Ryan's Hope. He's grown on me a little, but I hate his granny curls and leather pants.

The fact that they're new to soaps does worry me, but Y&R is having success adding people known for primetime so it could add a fresh new spin to the dialogue on AMC. This is their biggest problem, so it would be nice to listen to the characters and not laugh.

I really hope he works out for AMC! I want to enjoy those SOAPnet marathons once again! This is as big as Hogan at Days for me. The two great-but-now-horrid soaps are finally being fixed and I'm on pins and needles waiting to see how it works out!

• Members

He worked on Y&R since the late 70s/early 80s. He remained with Y&R after 1987 but played a pivotal role on B&B until he became co-headwriter of B&B for one year as part of his grooming for Y&R.

To answer your question: Jack Smith at least used to live in Hawaii - don't know if he still does. I think there are even pictures of him Hawaiian style/backdrop in one of the B&B or Y&R encyclopedias... :lol:

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Sep 10 2006, 11:20 AM)

I've always had little problems with Latham, but I don't think she's nearly as bad as some people say. I think Y&R is the best it has been in years, most of my concerns are "what if's."

Let's just hope that those concerns won't become reality.
I just don't know what are those two people doing there?! I think they're just keeping them until their contracts expire, and they might be there for continuity purposes. Do you have his photo? And hopefully they'll fix the whole of daytime. Except Guiding Light, that is beyond repair, I think. But Barbara Bloom is a great fan of the show, and she'll probably never cancel it, but who knows? So the whole of Bellcurve's theory about Bradley Bell ... will probably never come true. :(

• Members

Here is a picture of Trent Jones in his Ryan's Hope days: http://www.geocities.com/ryanshope75/scans/Jones.html

I'd love to see how he looks today! He's not bad looking, but since they're selling him as this super sexy rock star...it's not very convincing, but he's a good actor. Richard Backus, who I believe wrote for OLTL, is also on the show right now. And of course Louise Shaffer who wrote for RH, AMC and ATWT.

I must agree with this! No matter who they get to write the show, there is nothing you can do with it. The cast cuts were handled so poorly that you just have a bunch of disconnected characters running around and they didn't even bother saving some of the better characters. Crystal Chappelle is expensive and wanted to leave...they should've let her go and saved others.

• Members
Someone's gonna kick us out of this thread if we keep going about GL (:D), but I just wanted to add that it could've been such a great show... What a shame! And such a title!

It's quite interesting to see how many actors turned into writers — Trent Jones, Megan McTavish, Claire Labine, Jean Passanante, Douglas Marland, Harding Lemay... I think that Richard Backus was Marland's 'protege', in a sense...

Archived