May 22-26, 2006

Toups

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is not NBC's prized demo. They seek the demo 18-34 for which they have been tied or at #1 or near to it for quite some time. The other networks strive for the 18-49 but NBC several years ago set their sights on the 18-34 and that is the demo they usually excel in - esp. Days.

All 3 networks press releases are hillarious. They do what they are paid to do - make the bad look good.

• Members

Trust me, 18-49 and HH are most important to all the networks. If a network was #1 in Transexuals 34-50 and it was a large number of transexuals 34-50 they'd tout that. Ken Corday once said all that matters is Thursday and what we got in 18-49 and Household. They don't get ice-cream for #1 in 18-34 (which DAYS has been for 11 years) - never have, probably never will.

• Members

Obviously NBC did horribly. If NBC hadn't renewed Passions last week I'd be sh*tting my pants right now. As much as I love the show, they deserve they ratings they are getting after the HUGE letdown of PassionsVendetta. Why the hell did they make it Alistair the most obvious choice?????

• Members

Since the ratings are delayed by the holiday, here's some NBC/"Days" news...

According to the latest issue of "TV Guide" (on newstands now), NBC and Corday/Sony are still trying to negotiate a renewal. The article mentions that the recent renewal of "Passions" bodes well for "Days", but that network insiders wouldn't be surprised to see "Days" canceled.

The magazine also gives some good news for all the Reilly haters. The article mentions the likelihood that James E. Reilly (whom it calls the "always-controversial head writer of "Days"), will step down regardless of what happens with the series this summer. It also mentions the outside chance that leading lady Melissa Reeves will stay if Reilly exits.

• Members

The reality is that NBC definitely cares about 18-49, except they have stumbled badly (and quickly). Now they have to focus the spin on 18-34 (always a strength). Here is the opening line from the first press release of this season (a mere eight months ago):

"September 29, 2005 –- NBC Daytime has opened the 2005-06 season by tying for first place in daytime's key demographic of women 18-49, marking the second week in a row and sixth week out of the last 10 that NBC has tied for the lead in this category."

Archived