• Members

"Guza unleashed," with no one for him to answer to, was dark, ugly and misogynistic af.  But it also was a helluva lot more entertaining than everything that came afterward.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed - also, at least he had great taste in Scriptwriters who could ground that sh!t and make it work somehow on a day to day level. 

If DAYS can still limp along with a budget of belly button fuzz and couch pennies, then anyone can EP GH and bring it in under budget. 

• Members

THIS.  

I really get everyone's criticisms with Guza.  You all make valid points and I don't disagree.  There were serious issues with the show when he was in charge.  But it was more entertaining and more memorable than anything we've had in the last 7 or 8 years.  I am not saying GH should re-hire Guza, but at least the man knew how to write a sweeps event even if the main players were generally Sonny, Carly, Jason.  

There has to be some middle ground between Guza and CVE that's entertaining while being thoughtful and character driven.

And Days still manages to have legit cliffhangers everyday as well.  Even if they are stupid lol.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I haven't rewatched, but one of the reasons I stopped with GH regularly in the early '00s was because I genuinely thought 1999 and 2000 were two of the dullest years I'd ever seen on a soap. The closest might have been ATWT and GL in their real doldrums around 1994. If I had to see one more person wandering around the docks looking bored or one more slo-mo shootout for Emmy submission or one more "it's my house/I bought it for you" or Ned going on about "gatekeeping" or Emily berating everyone over the glory of Jason I might have lost my mind.

I imagine "Guza unleashed" was more exciting for people, but when the excitement mainly involves which young woman that month is going to be murdered (or raped - or raped and later murdered), in-between mob fantasies, Jason harems, Tony Geary jerkoff material and speed running through vet corpses...I just don't want to see it. 

I do know if people have watched on a daily basis in recent years they might miss those days more. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Again, that's fair.  I was a Sonny, Jason, and Carly fan back in 99/00.  In fact, I am pretty sure I enjoy Sonny, Carly, Jason still more than most on this board even though I absolutely see their faults and can realize they are over played.

I still stand by the fact GH was pretty solid for me until 2003.  

Guza was left to his own devices for far too long and I did disagree with a lot of the material he put out.  I still knew he was capable of more if reigned in and I am not sure CVE and EK are.

• Members

That's fair. It's very dull to hear someone say, "Oh you were wrong about material you enjoyed," and I definitely don't mean to come across that way. I do remember how in the '00s the show managed a number of very strong scenes.

• Members

Oh, you definitely weren't coming off that way!  

Most of the time even if I enjoyed periods of GH I find myself nodding my head knowing I can understand why others didn't.  If you were looking for a Quartermaine, reality based, hospital focused soap, GH was not the place to look for it in the 2000's lol.

• Members

I feel that. 

So true. LLC always looks good so I was loving the loops. 

lol. See? I see that as another lost opportunity as soon as I read this. All the drama over BLQ and the dress and not one Brenda mention. lol. Cuz you know her and Lois be talking every other day. 

Thank for the clarification.

I wonder going forward if that will still go on or be a dropped plot. 

• Members

What always got me was Guza could do emotional material that was sad but not misery at one point. Laura waking up for the wedding anniversary was a month of very wonderful story. While it had a sad ending, it wasn’t the same kind of sad the whole show fell into.

I finally got Anna back on GH and she was reduced to an Eli Love groupie.

For me, the pairing of JFP (who has no problem killing off beloved characters), Guza, and Frons was just too much. A different EP could have maybe helped balance that out a bit, and I wouldn’t have been so inclined to stop watching during those days.

I will never deny he and his team were strong writers. They were. I just didn’t enjoy what they concentrated on all that much.

• Webmaster

This is slightly off-topic, but with primetime dramas seeing cuts in episode guarantees for contract players/series regulars, I'm surprised we're not getting that more and more in daytime, especially since GH, in particular, is just a never-ending revolving door of contract handouts. More people are on recurring, sure, but it's wild on the contract side.