GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In this crazy, cuckoo, post-COVID world of ours?  Surely, you jest!

But, you know, a huge event like an epidemic would be a fantastic way for PM/EK to wrap up some stories, take others in different directions and launch new stories of their own.  I'm just saying.

It's always incredible to me how he can dig into characters and find some truths in them that make them relatable.  Characters aren't just spouting exposition; they're actually revealing something about themselves, which is how good storytelling should be.

• Members

Especially on GH right now. I have been watching stuff I would normally FF, and characters that I have zero interest in. They could still go, but while they are here at least they are becoming actual characters.

• Members

I definitely think that the show is going for Jason/Carly though I feel a significant amount of energy is put back into the Jason/Sonny dynamic, which I have less interest in, but appreciate the layers that are being addressed. I hope that when they reveal that Sonny's meds have been tampered with that someone convinces Sonny that it is somehow tied to Spinelli's tampering with the pharmacy records and Sonny assumes that Jason/Michael/Carly were behind the situation to drag out the reunion of GH's most unnecessary supercouples, Sonny and Jason. 

I appreciate that the show is allowing drama to unfold from characters having different stances. It is present in the Jason story, but the emphasis today with Portia was excellent. It would be easy to make Portia's point of view based solely on her relationship with her daughter, but by exploring her role as one of Heather's physicians is helpful. I imagined that the next steps in this story would be a quick release for Heather followed by a custody battle of sorts for Ace, with Laura and Kevin taking different stances on what role Heather should play in Ace's life. I hope there is more attempts to keep Heather from being released before she is. 

In my limited viewing, I think Blaze is a character who isn't in control of her life. Her momager's constant need to micromanage Blaze's career and every aspect of her life combined with Blaze's own insecurities seem to have fueled a very unhealthy dynamic between mother and daughter. I thought Natalia steamrolling her way into the Deception meeting and rewriting the contract seemed to seal for me that Blaze will need to escape her mother's grasp to be her own person. 

What was more disappointing to me was the structure of today's Blaze/Kristina scenes I thought the meeting between Blaze and Kristina at Crimson was well played with Kristina learning Blaze was the "Face of Deception" just as Blaze quietly failed to acknowledge that Kristina is his girlfriend. Kristina's catty line about Blaze truly being the face of Deception worked for me. So I was disappointed that the focus of today's episode was on Blaze's concealment of the Deception position rather than the lying about their relationship. The scene did eventually make it there, but I felt that the failure to acknowledge the relationship was the bigger issue. With that said, it does seem the writers' are invested in Natalia as the catalyst for drama. As days go by, I hope we get more about how Blaze's insecurity fuel her feelings about being in a relationship with a woman. 

My prediction regarding Natalia's stance on keeping Kristina and Blaze's relationship out of the spotlight will be Kristina's surrogacy to suppress her true reason for keeping Blaze's private life private; she doesn't accept Blaze's romantic interest in a woman.

I think this is what I've enjoyed the most in the past few weeks of watching. I don't think what I am watching is compelling must see tv, but I think the sweeping changes to the show's writing structure (longer, meaningful scenes) has helped to allow that introspection into the characters. It also makes the shorter choppy scenes stand out. 

I think what I really liked about the Stella / Tracy scene, other than the continuation of a dynamic set with the confrontation a few weeks back, was that it really emphasized the internal journey Tracy is on navigating her role as the lead of the Quartermaine clan. She is not her mother's daughter, and that seems bring her some pain. All the pride she has had in being a daddy's girl is not really paying off. It's interesting watching Tracy trying to figure out how she is going to balance the different aspects of her personality. 

And I say this as someone who hasn't been to happy with some of Tracy's material in the short time I've been watching. 

• Members

Laura is letting the fact that she had a mental breakdown, was catatonic & recovered cloud her judgment regarding Heather. With the Cobalt poisoning, Laura's asking what life would Heather have if not for the hip replacement. Both their situations are different though. 

I feel Laura needs to see someone to deal with the time she was catatonic and what caused that and finally start to deal with that. If she did this, she would see that her and Heather's situations are vastly different & unlike Laura, Heather may never get her life back.

Damn I wish they would bring Denise Alexander as Lesley back so she could help Laura see that Laura and Heather's situations with Mental health are totally different. That Laura cannot make Heather what she used to be & Heather may never fully recover her previous life.

• Members

There was a throwaway line when Natalia mentioned keeping the personal stuff private (actually a good boundary, even if her motivations aren't pure) that IMO is going to come back. She said "it doesn't have to be in writing or anything..." so I think eventually Blaze is going to decide to come out in the publicity materials and Natalia will object but the answer will be "sorry, it's not in the contract."

• Members
Posted (edited)

There was a concerted attempt today to show Tracy as a whole character again - her doctor visit, talking about how no one would notice that it’s her birthday, her insecurities, and those scenes with Cody in the stable which were playful and cute. And then her pleasant surprise and how touched she was when she discovered her birthday cake in the Quartermaine kitchen. I have to think this is building up to something important or significant for Tracy. I hope that isn’t wishful thinking. I’ve long thought Tracy is the type of character and Jane Elliot is the type of actress Mulcahey would love writing for. 

I say it all the time, but this show is so lucky Jane came out of retirement. There’s a rare presence that only she brings to this show. Not having Tracy tied to Luke is a gift as well. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Here is how things will go down:

Alexis will become a lawyer again. Her first client will be Heather. There will be much argument among the Davis women over what Alexis is doing. Alexis will win the case and Heather will go free. Many Port Charles residents will be aghast at Heather being among them. Heather and Laura will then become like sisters. While Heather before surgery wanted to kill Cyrus, Heather after surgery will fall in love with Cyrus. Heather and Cyrus will become a couple.