GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

JE is truly the last of that generation of actresses still working in soaps who gives 110% in every scene, no matter how awful the writing.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Don't get me wrong, I like Maura West and Finola Hughes, but...trying to lump them with JE, Beverlee McKinsey, Elizabeth Hubbard, Susan Flannery, Erika Slezak, Robin Strasser....  No.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Honestly, I get what you're saying. I just think we're at a point where the next generation is emerging. But, maybe I'm rushing things. 

Well, Jane ranks with Beverlee McKinsey & Susan Flannery in holding an iconic elevated level  as really queens of daytime.

But on the specific issue of giving 110% every single time I think there are others who do that. 

• Members

Why is Ava telling Laura that Trina should not be seeing Ace in Thursdays preview? Manipulation?

HW(s): Patrick Mulcahey & Elizabeth Korte

BDW: Suzanne Flynn

SW: Stacey Pulwer

DIR: Gary Tomlin

• Members

I do think Finola and Maura both try their best, but both their characters tend to suffer from still being dictated by the plot - Anna in particular often feels far away from what she was in her first run for this reason. 

I think this happened with Tracy as well, during her marriage to Luke, but with him gone now, she doesn't have as much constant degradation on her back - also due to the choice to not have her as the whipping girl of the family as she was for many years. 

On paper, any survival of the Quartermaine family runs through Jason or Michael, but Tracy just has such a compelling arc, even if a great deal of it was not intentional on the show's part. The longtime outsider of the family is now essentially the last one left to remember what once was and trying to guide them into a new world. 

I remember Leslie Charleson talking about how Gloria Monty had done her best to minimize the Qs during her second tenure and how fitting it was that most of her last creations in that second run ended up having their scenes in the Q living room. 

I'm glad that after all the unforgiveable damage Guza did to the family, they have still somehow managed to survive to be a focal point for another potential new era. 

• Members

In a word...NO. But you know me well enough to know if GH was cancelled tomorrow what's on my wishlist for Sonny.

Please register in order to view this content

And I expect him to BEG.  

In fact...one thing I was hoping for back then was that when Sonny/Nina got together that they would really play that Nina/Carly rivalry versus the slilted writing that came out of it leaning in Carly's direction. During and before Nixon Falls, I felt every scene that was a Carly vs Nina scene, it was even between both of them which is part of the reason I LIVED for their scenes. 

Another thing I was hoping for was that yes, Sonny/Nina would be together for a while. And that the one thing that could break them up...no question...IS BRENDA. Not that she would be around. But I could see Carly giving Nina the Sam-in-an-Elevator Special because it would play on Nina's insecurities and something Carly would do and use. Only for Brenda to FINALLY appear. Or at least that was what I hoped for back when we were getting frequent VM teases. 

I agree re: Heather's redemption. Execution is going to be key. And I have liked the fact they are playing the beats....again going back to mentioning upthread how new writers tend to just do it already, but these writers are slowly threading it into the canvas. Laura and Heather's conversation about the past. People for Heather. People AGAINST Heather...Portia's monologue coming to mind. If the cards are played right, it could be its own umbrella storyline that could actually divide the town. 

Again...I would love to see Heather in a more cunning villainess role because currently there is not one. 

I mean wasn't it made clear that we found out who did that? Though it might have been rewritten by this point. 

Totally down for that. 

Oh, yeah. Nina. Jordan. Willow. His presence around other woman NOT Carly has totally increased since the new writers started. Though it is funny given that the more Jason spreads his wings around town in places that Drew was in (and have done before), how pointless Drew is growing.

• Members

Obviously lol.

Yeah, I hated the slanted writing for Carly vs. Nina.   I do believe Carly does know both Jason and Sonny better than most women and does understand them.  Instead of letting Carly watch the whole Nina/Sonny romance implode like she knew it would,  Carly always had to be 'right'.  Nina was always the designated loser.

It also doesn't help that Sonny acts like he's never know love like this before with EVERY love interest.  

Brenda coming back and Nina slowly losing it would have always been a great story.

• Members

If so, I totally missed it. AFAIK we know it wasn't a stranger since Austin recognized them & it seemed to be a male going only by shoes. Who are you thinking of? I suspected both Brennan & Valentin being behind it but not carrying it out. 

Carly was wrong two huge times in the past year. Willow - illegal DNA test & keeping it from everyone that Nina was her bio-mother and Insider Trading. In both instances of her being wrong it was amazingly public. 

And Carly suffered significant losses in the past 2 years. Metro Court, Sonny when he died, Jason when Sonny reappeared alive, Sonny when he had sex with Nina on The Haunted Star, paid a 5 mil fine, Bobbie died & Drew dropped her at the first sight of Jason.