GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

lol.

Please register in order to view this content

And I trust her ability to get MB to play that particular beat, too.

God, yes. Before Sonny was found, they used to have such great scenes. CW and LW have great adversary chemistry dating all the way back to their GL days. So I was sooooo looking forward to it. And even when Carly stayed losing things to Nina after Sonny returned, the writing was STILL not on Nina's side. And given it's been mentioned in these threads about BTS writer stuff...that makes sense to me now why it was so slanted. Like you, Carly does know Jason and Sonny so well...something the current writers clearly know and see thankfully. But Nina being in town as long as she has been would not just sit there and take Carly's abuse when she would have surely heard all of Carly's history. Nina would be throwing it in her face. Fingers crossed moving forward that happens. 

Oh, no question. If 'All One Has to Do is Nothing and Look Fabulous' was a person...that would be Brenda with her multiple ties to the canvas. Nina would sooo see Carly is a paperweight to the storm that would be Ms. Barrett and lose it, giving CW another award. 

That was what I thought as well. Pikeman for sure. I would have thought it was Brennan until that conversation him and Val had in the van, but I think now I'm misremembering. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No one was ever even mad at her about either of those things though lol.  Only Nina.  Willow was mad for 5 minutes.  And Insider trading is illegal.  Sure, she lost the Metro Court for a bit, but it's not like she actually went to prison.  Nina was made to look like the bad guy for reporting a crime.  Neither Jason or Sonny actually died.  Look, I like Carly much more than I like Nina, but the writing is almost entirely favorable for Carly.  

Every loss Carly has suffered the last few years except the loss of her mother has mostly been her fault.  Even when Carly is "down and out" there are a line of people willing to help her out.  If I am at the point where I am defending Nina, of all people, you know the writing is slanted.

• Members

4-17

I had hoped before the writing change that seeing Anna/Sonny getting closer and Valentin/Nina growing close again for a quartet. But now that we are going to get some REAL meat in the front of Laura/Anna vs Sonny and it seems they won't sacrifice the ladies' intelligence, I do love seeing the beat of Anna talking about the closeness she had with Sonny over the last few years. It's nice to see those beats observed as we move forward to something new. 

Let the games begin.

+ 1

• Members

Nina & Carly are written totally differently, to me, in one major way.

Carly never feels sorry for herself (or if she does, she does it in private & never lets anyone see) & she is not one to whine, nor is she one to go on & on & on about things. To a very large degree, she operates as a survivor, just putting one foot in front of the other & repeating until either she is busy & engaged in doing something or the situation changes & usually for the better. Carly also doesn't blame other people. She owns her sh*t. In most cases that would give her rootabiity but somehow it doesn't except for many people, like me, who are Carly fans. What Jason said about her resilience is very true to her character. And 5 mil is not chump change. 

Nina constantly whines, regularly feels sorry for herself, ALWAYS blames someone else - usually Carly - and goes on & on & on about things endlessly & worst of all she says she never intended any harm to come & then she turns around & does the same thing or something similar over again. Only Ava tells her the truth & chastises her for not THINKING through things instead of just impulsively taking action! (I love Cynthia Watros but it is impossible to me, to like Nina!)

• Members

I am about to start a Nina fan club because her writing is so awful.  Everyone in town hates her including her daughter, her other daughter is dead, Michael treats her borderline abusively, she can't see her grandkids, she had sex with Drew and he's disgusted (maybe?), everyone mocks how poorly she does all her jobs and Sonny would rather be with AVA than her.

Carly had to be 'poor' for a few months and ended up inheriting Kelly's for free, keep her house, got Jason back, and everyone adores her and tells her how awesome she is.  Yes, her mother died and that's awful, but in pretty much every situation that wasn't because of a real life death, she comes out smelling like a rose and always has.  She managed to commit an idiotic crime that had repercussions and people still see her as the victim.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Well, at least the whore finally admitted that she’s a terrible person. I like Dex but I still hope Sonny kills him. She totally deserves it. 

And I wish this storyline wasn’t so biased in favor of her. I’m glad that the new team has started to drop the anti-Nina bias; they really needed to do the same thing here. 

Btw, anybody hear a reason yet as to why there’s so much chem testing going on with Drew? 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members
Posted (edited)

We complain about the characters or stories a lot, but it can't be overstated how much stronger the Quartermaines have been as a family/story core since the 2000s ended. CD's Michael began gravitating heavily to the family following the prison rape around 2010-2011, and has stayed in their business sphere before and after A.J.'s return. He became close to Monica, Tracy, Ned, etc. Michael's wife and children are all very close to the family and are considered part of the next generation, and all are seen with them fairly often - Michael and Willow live in the Q gatehouse, I believe. Same with Drew and Monica. Jake has also spent a lot of time with Monica and the Qs in general since his resurrection; this became such a throughline when Billy Miller was around that once Steve returned they tried to retrofit the closer relationships BM's Drew/NuJason had with Jake and Monica onto him. Olivia, Ned, BLQ and Leo are mainstays. We saw Danny and Jake at a Q family party just two months ago. So yeah, while I may find Michael, Willow, etc. tired and think others should be brought in for the family, the Qs I think are a pretty active and vital family today. Wasn't sure it would ever happen again.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I have to completely disagree.  Carly whines and plays victim all the time while saying how strong she is.  She made a whole big deal about how she was going to survive on her own and accepted Jason's offer of the MC in approx 2 mins.   And, yeah, 5 million isn't chump change, but Carly didn't earn that money herself.  She got it from Jax and Sonny and they would have gladly given her 5 million more if she asked.  No one was going to let Carly be poor or homeless.  She has friends, family, children, boyfriends, exes all of whom would help her.

Nina does whine a bunch too and generally does impulsive and stupid things, but she's not worse than Carly at this point.  One of Carly's main characteristics is she's impulsive too.  The difference is Nina gets vilified by the entire town every time she makes a mistake.   I find Nina mostly pathetic, but I certainly don't think Carly's is much superior to her.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Honestly all it took for me was some sharper, more mischievous writing recently (leaning into Watros' innate comic/campy sense of the character, though Nina has been a spoiled, unstable and hyperdramatic rich girl since Michelle Stafford) and a very hot sex scene with Cameron Mathison. Those two are old soap pros that know their business. But yes, I agree with you, she's had too much stick in the last year or two ever since they were apparently forced to put her with Sonny lol.

I do think Drew is more intrigued by her than he is willing to admit to anyone, starting with himself. It's an old soap staple. He put in a good word for her to Willow the other day for no real reason. Chem test with RoboJordan aside, I suspect Nina is the plan there assuming CM/CW stay on the show..

Edited by Vee

• Members

You say as Jason 'appears' to be getting the Drew 'keep away from Sonny' edit that Billy's Drew got. lol.

But seriously, everyone here have put out good ideas on where Drew can go. So I guess we will see.

• Members

I think Nina is a mess of a character and her backstory is so complicated I can't even deal with it all.  It's just not any fun when Carly has an adversary that's always the designated loser.

I wouldn't cry if Nina got written off tomorrow.   I agree that CM/CW might have something there and it's probably the route the show will go.  It's better than her and Valentin, which is where I thought this was going to lead back to.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't either really after all these years, but I do think Drew and Nina's crazy pairing and scheming is the most fun thing on the show right now lol. I'm down for more of it. I've turned a corner on worse characters.

And God no, please no more romantic Valentin. With anyone. Let him be the bad guy and go.

Edited by Vee