BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

I don't see it for EDGE either. It went off the air over 48 years ago! Anyone interested would either be near Social Security or in the niche of people who love soaps so much they know the history of shows that went off the air before they were born.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Reboots for old soaps are not viable because so many viewers of the originals are gone (sorry to sound morbid) and the lack of reruns never allowed for a younger generation to discover these shows. That said The Edge of Night could work with how crime obsessed a lot of viewers are, but I don't it would even be considered for streaming.

• Members

Whenever I hear how soaps end up over-indexing on AA viewers I always wonder if it's because AA viewers love seeing white people act insane; Dynasty also over-indexed as does apparently shows like Grey's Anatomy.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I was just coming here to ask that!
This is the third year in a row they've followed this schedule for UEFA (European soccer):

• Four dates in February for "round of sixteen, first leg".

• Two dates in March for "round of sixteen, second leg".
    (There are four matches in March for round of sixteen;
    but only two of the March matches air on CBS broadcast TV.)

• Four dates in April for quarterfinals.

• A few dates in late April and/or early May for semi-finals.

Same thing, three years in a row.

2022 SON thread on this (Link)  
2023 SON thread on this (Link)
2024 SON thread on this (Link)

CBS has the contract for UEFA through 2030!

In my opinion, it would be helpful if the CBS soap people and the CBS sports people would talk with each other.  The first year, B&B and Y&R tweeted out notices that if you live in an affected timezone, to watch the soaps on the soccer dates via another channel/time or online.  I think B&B even tried to tweet out alternate channels and overnight times in Feb. 2022.  But last year and this year, they didn't bother.

What gets me, is that every year,
CBS soaps do silly little promotional videos
for NFL (American football) and March Madness basketball.  Especially Joshua Morrow and Michelle Stafford joking around about what teams are playing.  Usually some B&B actors do similar sports promos.  These are well-coordinated.  And then CBS sports or the NFL retweets them, so it's a true cross-promotion.  Sometimes they do two different NFL/soaps cross-promos, one at start of season and the other for the Super Bowl.

But the soaps don't acknowledge the soccer at all.  And the networks don't acknowledge that the soaps are affected.  I mean ... you know Eric Braeden used to play soccer.  Couldn't he do a fun promotion?
But no.   CBS soccer and CBS soaps don't acknowledge that each other exist.
The NFL and basketball sports/soaps cross-promotions have been going on for years.  There hasn't been a *separate* "CBS Daytime" division since Angela McDaniel left, -- daytime is part of the greater whole now -- but the pattern was already in place for NFL and basketball so those promotions continued.

I don't mind the soccer preemptions in some timezones, but it's ridiculous that the soaps don't acknowledge it, and it's up to messageboards to let people know.

Oh and remember Clarence of "Clarence Updates"? 
He wanted to be on Y&R for the 50th, but he had to approach CBS execs because nobody approached him. Why is that?  He had to initiate it, and then he appeared at end of December 2023.
https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-brad-sanders-on-bringing-clarence-back-to-the-young-and-the-restless/
 “One of the radio stations said, ‘Look, man, you need to be a part of the 50th anniversary. You should be there!’ And I said, ‘Yeah, let me call!’ So I called [Vice President, Daytime Programs, CBS] Margot Wain and she called [Director at CBS] Danielle Unger and they were like, ‘Yeah, it sounds great!’ And they set it all up.”  

So there *are* people who can get things done.  Can they help with coordinating with soccer?  
I'd really like to see this fixed before The Gates debuts!

/end rant

• Members
Posted (edited)

To be honest, that seems more one-sided like CBS soaps take the onus and generate the promotional content and the NFL reciprocates by retweeting.Two interns coordinating a a reciprocal effort. Now if a football star from UEFA were to dribble a ball while saying something about the action in play for awhile before heading back to regularly scheduled CBS Daytime shows then were to kick a ball to Eric Braeden…that would be true cross-promotion. I remember back in the day, CBS Daytime would come up with those clever promos around Labor Day to announce preemptions for the U.S. Open, and those were still primarily clips of scenes taken from various soaps mixed with one or two archival footage from the U.S. Open with voice-overs. Other than someone from the USTA signing off on permission to use those clips, I doubt the tennis organization had much to do with it. I think the sports back then likely had just as much to do with CBS soaps then as they do now and I’d be surprised if that changed anytime soon. It’s up to CBS Daytime to cultivate ways to retain their viewers. It would be fun but realistically, there is not much incentive for UEFA to promote CBS Daytime. They have Golazo which is pretty self-contained and effectively informs fans where and when to watch tournament action, whether it’s tuning into Telemundo/Univisión or CBS.

Now, if CBS should get rights to Bundesliga action, someone should get a petition for Eric Braeden to get in some appearances with some players lol.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

@DramatistDreamer The difference between March Madness/US Open is that those are full pre-emptions. UEFA are partial pre-emptions. The reality is that the traditional soap viewer still watches on linear, especially for CBS.

If TG is pre-empted for UEFA in parts of the country, it's going to make it that much harder for viewers to stick with it/keep track of what's going on. Soaps are a habit.

I do think the partial pre-emptions are also part of the promo challenge. It's like 'Hey, ET/CT you get to watch the soaps + soccer, but MT/PT you may get some soaps, but you'll probably get soccer.' It would be better just to do full pre-emptions on those days.

I would love to see the numbers UEFA draws. Better than TT? Better than LMAD? Somehow I doubt either.

• Members
Posted (edited)

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/uefa-champions-league-final-tv-us-viewership-ratings-cbs-canale-5-tf1-zdf/

This does not present the clearest of pictures but it seems that there has been an increase year over year. I guess time will discern how “The Gates” will factor into this, but as of now, it seems as though CBS/Paramount+ (another asterisk because who knows what is even going on with Paramount??) is willing to invest in UEFA football at this time. There is also this aspect of this merger between ESPN and other sports network entities to build a big digital/streaming platform (which is confusing since I thought ESPN already had its own streaming platform) and how that could affect broadcast/streaming rights for international football and other sports, if that effort succeeds. CBS seems to be a company in flux, which hold promise and peril for its programming possibilities.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Watched the beginning of The Talk to see if they'd mention being canceled.

They said they were renewed for the Fall for the 15th and last season and all the hosts clapped and cheered with the audience.

Please register in order to view this content

Only on The Talk would they celebrate a cancellation.