1970s Trends

• Members

Was there a discotheque on RH?  Did characters ever mention going to any of them (like, for example, Studio 54)?  I remember everyone and their cousin dining at that Chinese restaurant; and later, at the Crystal Palace.  But, for the life of me, I can't recall if there was a discotheque on that show as well (which is strange for a show set in NYC, practically the epicenter of the whole disco movement).

Edited by Khan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Dallas did the story with Kit Mainwaring in 1979. Then Dynasty ripped it off with Steven 2 years later. Even Al Corley (Steven) had similar blow dried blonde parted down the middle feathered hair like Mark Wheeler (Kit). 

• Members

The ATWT Greece shoot and AW St Croix were both 1980 as was GL San Domingo. Don't recall a SFT Mardi Gras location shoot.

I think the AMC honeymoon and RH Ireland shoot were both done on film? Was there any dialogue for those sequences or was it all travelogue type stuff with any dialogue added in later?

I agree with Kalbir that location shoots were an 80's trend.

70's stuff pretty much consisted of some characters outside for an episode or two.

• Members

When did catfights between female characters start ? A lot of people credit Krystal and Alexis on Dynasty as the beginning. They had their first brawl in 1982. 

In 1978 on Dallas, Pamela slapped the piss out of Sue Ellen and knocked her to the floor up against that ugly blue 70's sofa. It was during the episode where Bobby & J.R.'s plane went down. Would that be considered the first catfight on a soap ? 

• Members

Good question. I think it was an 80's thing- yes inspired by Dynasty.

Was there any physical action b/w any of these 70's rivals?

Iris/Rachel AW

Alice/Rachel AW

Lisa/Joyce ATWT

Jennifer/Eunice SFT

Jill/Katherine Y&R

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

The ATWT disco was hilarious as the scenes I saw had Nancy and Chris on their back porch late afternoon or early evening after he got home from work,(and Nancy was sweeping leaves off of the porch like good old ATWT slice of life normality) while over at the disco things were going on like its 1 a.m. and the whole party was just hitting the height of the evening. Apparently Oakdale liked their early bird disco time!

GL at that time was less clunky at embracing fads.

• Members

I would also assume maybe a catfight between Lorie & Leslie on Y&R. I read that Leslie screamed the "B" word at Lorie during an intense scene while she was in the mental hospital. The viewer who remembers it said they were shocked they used the word on daytime TV in the mid 70's. I think they also said it happened as they were going to break. I guess Bell timed that line so the network didn't have time to cut it. 

Speaking of Dynasty, Linda Evans had appeared on a 1973 episode of McCloud where she got into a hilarious catfight with Stefanie Powers with pillows and feathers flying etc... I assume Spelling or the writers on Dynasty saw that and used that for the basis of the Krystal/Alexis brawls. 

• Members

Here are two trends that I noticed back in the 1970s years:

1.  The hiring of more foreign performers.   I know that As the World Turns and The Guiding Light would both hire performers to play relatives of Elizabeth Talbot Stewart and as some of the family with whom Dr. Joe Werner was living in England.  The Guiding Light also hired Theo Getz as Papa Bauer and  Stefan Schnabel as Dr. Steven Jackson.   Also, there were Canadian performers around (such as Tudi Wiggins and almost the entire cast of the serial Strange Paradise).

But, I remember on the Hollywood serial General Hospital, an Autralian actress was hired to play a nurse at the General Hospital.  She remained on the show for a year or two.   (I cannot remember the name of her character or the name of the actress.  I do remember that her hair was dark.)    Then, suddenly, all of the soap operas tended to be hiring foreign performers.    In the cast of All My Children, both Jeremy Hunter and Giles St. Claire were introduced in a matter of a few days.

2.  Also, many of the actresses on the soap operas began changing their names in the billing.  I remember that on All My Children, both Tricia Hursley (as Devon) and Candice Earley (as Donna #2) changed their names with a hyphen and the married name following their original name.     (Intrestingly, both actresses divorced these husbands and the billing names were changed back.)   Actress Jacqueline Zeman (who appeared on the Hollywood serial General Hospital) changed her name to Jackie Zaman-Kaufman.

Marcy Walker (as Liza #1 on All My Children) may have changed her name in a similiar manner.   I do remember that she married one of the actors who was appearing on the show as a member of Jesse Hubband's band.

Edited by danfling