2024: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Yeah, Kate doesn't write breakdowns.  Korte or Mulcahey wrote Friday's breakdown.   There was no script editor listed, so maybe Korte will continue in that role until they decide on a new one. 

• Members

Thus far, 2 pre-strike Y&R writers were fired: Brent Boyd (editor) was replaced by James Brown (fi-core) who had been on the team a few years ago. Lynn Martin was fired and replaced by Lindsay Harrison who, as far as I know, is not fi core. This one is suspicious as a scab replacing union writer.

Janice Esser announced her "retirement" in January.  I think her scripts have been airing through March. We don't know who will replace her, if anyone.

My guess is that they collaborated on their first breakdown.  I wonder if Dave Rupel is gone.  He didn't write any Feb scripts. Not sure about March.  I would imagine they will retool the writing staff a bit although all these newbies come cheap and it's all about budget.  I would think Kate Hall, Scott Sickles, Gibson and Emily Culliton are safe. I can see them cutting Gold for one of their fav out of work vet writers.  Suzanne Flynn is a long time ABC person like Korte. She knows this show. I'd be surprised if she was cut. However, the other no names can go as far as I'm concerned. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Sickles needs to go AFAIC. They should purge as many of the FV/RC-era OLTL lifers as possible. Gold doesn't count, as he dates back to the golden '90s with that show and of course many others.

What's curious to me is PM/EK's names switching first place day by day so far. Seems like they're trading off daily?

Edited by Vee

• Members

I would like to see if Mulcahey and Korte can continue to mentor some of these newer writers and let’s see if they have something. They haven’t really been given a chance to write more than the basics.

Dan & Chris and their team wrote the show Frank wanted them to write- easy to chop up in editing and generic. I think they had several good ideas that never got a good shot because of the way the show is produced. Even if they had years of airtime, they were so generic it didn’t amount to anything (the return of Ryan Chamberlain for one). Several OLTL actors (HBS and Woods were two of them) complained of this style back when their show was still airing. Everything easy to chop up in the editing process and form shows that way. It’s pretty clear that has been happening at GH especially under C&D. So I’m excited to see these longer scenes with character specificity already- and they have barely begun!

• Members
Posted (edited)

He indicated that he'd been let go, oh, probably a month ago. I posted on 2-21 asking if anyone knew why. 

It's only Day 3 & I'm so excited. This is the way I felt about my soaps BITD. Longer scenes, more complicated dialogue, characters having scenes with characters they don't normally, characters not staying in their own lanes but moving in & out of different lanes. I think they are positioning for an umbrella story. 

Read some today in the WGA manual concerning credits. 

https://www.wga.org/uploadedfiles/credits/manuals/screenscredits_manual18.pdf

Edited by Contessa Donatella

• Members
Posted (edited)

Frank produces his shows to look and be staged in a very sterile way, and I hate it. Yes, I know some of it is budget, but I think it’s also a lack of imagination and creativity.

I really loved what Shelley Curtis mentioned in her State of Mind episode with Maurice Benard about the people producing daytime today having a lack of expertise and that there are  ways of producing these shows with more imagination even with the limitations on them. I wish she was EP of GH, but Y&R could also use someone like that as well since Griffith and his producing team also have a severe lack of executional skills. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members
Posted (edited)

Charlotte Gibson

And her name seems new to me. I asked someone at GH who usually knows & he also thought she's a new name. But, he wasn't sure. Seems like things there are ... well, he's indicated a whole lot of stuff going on. I imagine that is par for the course with a regime change such as this. D&C were in place for a long time. @Toups can you confirm? 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
forgot something