2024: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

I have never claimed to be an insider. But it is not true that my information has not been valued anywhere. However, what I posted here today was not from a source. It was just from a knowledgeable person who told me about Shannon Peace being fired 3 weeks ago. I have reason to believe it is accurate information but you & anyone else is free to believe what you wish, of course. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

That could be it.  Until last year, Dan and Chris would write, on average, 2 breakdowns each a month and the show had 4 BDWs.  Then in 2023, GH went to 5 BDWs while D&C only wrote 6 breakdown episodes.  We'll know in a month or two once we get more data. 

• Members

Some of these writer changes may be about budget as well. We know they fired veteran writer Seidman (script writer) before the strike followed by veteran Dave Rupel (script writer) shortly after the strike and added Stacy and Cathy, newbies who probably come cheap (money wise), before the strike episodes started to appear.  

• Members

SHOCKER: General Hospital Fires Sole Black Breakdown Writer

Daytime Confidential

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/shocker-general-hospital-fires-sole-black-breakdown-writer/ar-BB1kA7z9

Not really any new information. Just a slightly amazing headline. 

Well, thanks very much for that. I was told to go & read what people at Daytime Dish have been saying. Going by them I was right more than anyone else ... uh, I think they're saying ... ever ... but that just seems too weird.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Sometimes writers are let go because they don't gel with the new head writers and/or their writing talent is deemed inferior (despite what a few hundred X posters say after a particular outline appears on TV).  We just don't know the full story in each case.

Most writers in daytime are fired multiple times with the exception of Doug Marland who left The Doctors to write GH and quit GH because Monty wanted him to move to CA and GL because of Allen Potter. Loving because his contract was up and he got the ATWT turns gig.  Even Aggie has been fired from AMC.

Shannon is a newbie who got a break and that's wonderful.

Edited by VelekaCarruthers

• Members
Posted (edited)

Is this a typo or an autocorrect for Douglas Marland? Although he quit GH over "seduction". And, something happened between him & Agnes Nixon at Loving. She even removed his co-Creator credit. GL was over Potter firing Jane Elliot midway of the 3 Carries story. Topical to now he was Patrick Mulcahey's mentor. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
typo

• Members

Not surprised by Peace's dismissal, and would not be surprised if more names were let go. Mulcahey does come from a time where if a new head writer came in they'd bring their whole team with them, so I'm suspecting this could be the same in this instance.

• Administrator

Breakdowns can have lines of dialogue.  The script writer can choose to keep it or change it up a bit. 

@janea4old  As @titan1978 mentioned, a "writers room" doesn't have to be a psychical room - they can do a conference call.  And yes,  a "writers room" is usually just the Head Writers and breakdown writers.  They go over the layouts for the week, and talk about scenes, and breakdown writers can make suggestions, like the example Shannon Peace provided. 

• Members

Ron is so petty.  He worked with, and for, many fi-core writers. 

No doubt that two Days staff fi core writers, Fran and Jean, were in integral part of the strike writing team to keep the show going and it wasn't as horrible as his tenure has been.  And he has no say in Jeanne or Fran's employment because as long as Ken's in charge he's going to keep them and/or others he can rely on during strikes. Ron destroyed the show by the end of his second year with his pre pubescent Scooby Doo Saturday cartoon mentality coupled with Fire Island drag queen hour (think bonnie / hattie).  Not to mention the nonsensical flash forward to retool his own terrible stories. He makes Dena's two tenures look like Agnes Nixon quality.

• Administrator

GH:

- Patrick Mulcahey first listed as Breakdown Writer on March 29

Very surprised he was credited as a BDW! When I saw his name credited alone, I got a bit excited (LOL) because thought he wrote the script, but then Kate Hall's name was shown next.  Hopefully this means the credits will continue to credit Korte/Mulcahey whenever they write breakdowns. 

• Members

I still remember Ron dogging DAYS after several (IIRC) ex-OLTL writers had moved there post-cancellation and they got nommed or won something over him at GH IIRC, I believe for Eileen Davidson's big return year as Kristen. I found that tacky since he'd worked with several of those staff writers for years.