2024: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Wow, another newbie to daytime out.  I thought GH was doing a great job in hiring people who never worked in daytime, all of them female too. I fear Emily Culliton could be next - female and new to daytime.  Lucky Gold has been writing soaps since at least the early 80's and will turn 74 in September.......time to retire??....just saying, you know.  LOL  I really wonder now if they're cutting down the number of BDWs to 2 or 3.  What has Josh Griffith started? (possibly)

• Members

I'm not going to weep if they dump a nepo hire tbqh. There's too much of that in this business as is. I want to see both old hands and new blood. Mulcahey taking a hand in the breakdowns tells us they're done fúcking around.

• Administrator

I don't know.  We always complain that daytime needs new blood instead of recycling the same old writers over and over and over. I just thought it was very fresh of GH to do something that other soaps weren't doing.  Oh well. 

I would prefer Patrick to write scripts.  Maybe we'll get that one day as well. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

He has clearly been working on the scripts IMO, credit or not. I thought he was also already credited on one or two but I may be wrong.

I'm all for new writers, but that's different from family hires. These jobs get passed down often through families because they are generational income security, so it becomes a closed system that keep more new people out. Sometimes those family writers are very right for it of course, but in this day and age I prioritize new blood over someone like Emily Culliton. I could be wrong though, she could be great.

Edited by Vee

• Administrator

Well, we'll see in a month or two how the writing staff is assembled.  Patrick has not been yet credited as a SW.  Today was his first credit, as a BDW, for a specific episode. 

• Members

There is some bonafide back channel info & we'll do it this way & that way people who wish to know, can, and those who don't, won't be bothered. 

Spoiler

Writers were given notes. Some scriptwriters did such a good job responding to their notes that they saved their jobs. Overall breakdown was considered the weakest but at least one breakdown writer wasn't watching the show. Emily Culliton is thought safe because Nathan Varni likes her a lot. 

• Members

I wouldn't mind that actually. I have found him over the years to be the writer most guilty of having episodes where it feels like characters take the whole episode (or 10) to spit out what they are trying to tell other characters. And not in a creative way either. 

Thank you for the info.

I'll be looking forward to that episode when I start my catch-up...weather willing since there's been a big storm here. 

• Administrator

5 straight episodes with no BDW listed for GH, 6 if you don't count last Friday's Mulcahey credited episode (could've been a mistake he was listed because he wasn't listed a BDW this week).  It sure looks like, at least for now, they went the Josh Griffith route at Y&R.  We'll see what happens next week.