2024: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There is some chatter on TwiX (X, formerly Twitter) that there was racism involved in the firing of some writers. Several of us, who have sources, were told the exact same story about what happened. After Dan & Chris were told they were being let go, the whole team was reevaluated & each writer was given specific notes. Then they had a chance to react to them. Some writers saved their jobs by how they reacted. Others did not. And, that's it. Rings true, sounds like what should happen. Not even controversial. However, I fear this will not calm the cries of racism. 

• Members

It’s crazy Sprina fans who call everything racist. I, a Black man, was called a racist co*n because I said Tabyana could work on her dramatic scenes. Keep in mind I didn’t tag her, the show or Sprina. They seek people out and attack if you’re even remotely critical of that couple. 

Shannon Peace, the Black breakdown writer who was fired knows how they are and has been fanning the flames since she left. It’s obvious she’s mad she got fired. After posting a bit making fun of Laura Wright, she tried to say the new writers aren’t committed to Black stories because of their episode counts in March. They’ve been here a month and were given instructions on what story to lead with which is Jason’s return. Even with that, they’ve written more meaningful scenes for the Black characters than we’ve had in a year.

Any claims racism was involved is laughable to me. The way she’s acted since she left speaks a lot about how she is and I can only imagine how she was behind the scenes.

• Members

I know!!! Chris & Dan had sidelined Trina for 3 weeks. The 4th week PM/EK had Trina on 3 consecutive days. With Joss, with her Aunt Stella, then with Joss again, finally at gravesite. Their posts didn't even change, well, except for Peace saying that if she'd written that Trina scene she'd have written it differently. 

And, if she wants a future job, she needs to think about what she's doing & saying! 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Firing the sole African-American breakdown/outline writer on staff might have been "bad optics," but I doubt racism was at play in TPTB's decision to release Shannon Peace from her contract.  Now, on the other hand, if Charlotte Gibson has been handed her pink slip as well....

Anything, I guess, not to have to admit that maybe her work sucked?  (I don't know, I'm just conjecturing!)

I'll say this much: if her objective is never to be hired again for any TV series, then she's doing a fantastic job.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I don't know the answer, but I did want to put the idea out in the universe that Janice will join the writing staff of The Gates when/if it launches...she's been writing such quality scripts for over 30 years, CBS has to recognize what they have. If not shame on them.

If I was EP of Y&R I'd have had Janice do a walk on role where she'd interact with Victor and he'd say "Now don't you put words in my mouth, you got that?!" as a wink to the audience for her last show.

• Members

As far as I know, there's just the sound of crickets. And, besides needing to replace them, they need one more hire. Last I heard Elizabeth Korte is still doing her old job as well as her new job. And, it's been said that she is continuity & history but also that she is their script doctor.