SOD is ending it's weekly print edition

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A MESSAGE FROM THE STAFF OF SOAP OPERA DIGEST

❝ We wanted to let you, our loyal readers, know that Soap Opera Digest will be publishing at a reduced frequency moving forward — but we also wanted to assure you that much of the content you’ve come to love in our print edition, including breaking news, exclusive story previews and interviews with your favorite stars, will continue to be available to you online. Please keep following us on social media and at soapoperadigest.com, and thank you for your decades of support! ❞

Edited by Liberty City

• Members

I remember in the mid 90's, it seemed like every other issue, "someone" (likely their own mother) kept writing in to ask the names of the young twins who played Abigail Deveraux on Days of Our Lives. 

But anyhow, this is a sad but inevitable time marker in the soap opera genre. I was a loyal subscriber for too long. I finally stopped renewing in 2018 when I found myself looking at them weeks after they arrived, and only read the historical articles... and even I can only re-read about Luke & Laura's first wedding or Viki going to Heaven or Bo & Hope at Oak Alley for so many times before it gets redundant. 

I always looked forward to my new issues in the mail during the late 90's/early 00's, and the Best & Worst issues once had guts and honesty. I mean, when's the last time they did a "Most Disappointing Show" category or openly admitted to a Worst Recast? Just don't show it to J Eddie Peck's wife or she'll have a fit, as she apparently did when they named him worst recast on AMC ("We invited these people into our home! Waaaahh!") 

Regardless of the Soap Awards being rigged or too heavy on one show, it was always a fun time to watch. 

This was my first issue... thanks mom for getting those early issues for me whenever DAYS was on the cover... 

9-26-95 Soap Opera Digest KRISTIAN ALFONSO-CADY MCCLAIN | Soap Opera World

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

I have subscribed to the digital edition for the last several years. I only read about 20% of each issue so I decided not to renew my subscription. I followed the link in my renewal notification email and of course there was no cancellation option.  I used the contact customer service option 3 times and did not get a response.  Then one day the cancellation button appeared. I clicked on it and a successful message came up on my screen. My credit card was then charged for the renewal!!  Ridiculous!

Edited by Efulton

• Members

Many print magazines are available in digital form at public libraries.  Some public library systems use rbgdigital and others use the "libby app" but it's the same idea.   If your library system participates in this type of thing, you can read magazines at home for free online, by simply entering your library card into your library's website, and then going to the periodical section of that site.

I have been reading SOD for free this way, legally, for several years, online via my regular library card.  It's been available every Friday afternoon.

• Webmaster

There won't be a digital version of Soap Opera Digest, though. It's done as a weekly magazine. Period. It's now going to be nothing more than a glorified online soap press outlet like Soaps In Depth. Ironically, both websites are now owned by a360media, which clearly sees they can get by with just an online website that makes boatloads of cash at a reduced overhead vs. a costly print magazine where they have to pay a vendor to ship to a pitiful amount of subscribers only to hear complaints that they didn't get their latest issue either on time or at all. In fact, I've received complaints and have to remind myself SON isn't a print magazine.