SOD is ending it's weekly print edition

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sad for sure, a definitive sign of the times. I was a subscriber from 1995-2004 and then….

LOL even 20 years ago the bottom fell out and the prices skyrocketed lol, which is when I cancelled my subscription. 

And for whatever reason, SOD had a fantastic early online presence there from 1996-2000ish, then disappeared for like two years LMAO and then their online presence after that was always terrible…”read more in the latest issue!” Major yikes!

SOD’s content stopped being fun. SOD awards were deliberately rigged and then stopped being held. Thumbs up/down columns, top ten lists, the joke lists, and in depth articles and analysis on shows current and historical storylines became non existent. Fan mail became censored. Softball Interviews became softer than Downy sheets. Carolyn Hinsey became very offensive and very obnoxious. Every other weekly cover became “The Plan to save DAYS!” VCR/DVR alerts became snooze alerts. And ratings boxes were increasingly less exciting and became obscured. 

At least SOD has never gone the SPW route and tried to cover American Idol and America’s Got Talent for “soapy” content but I digress. I’ve gotten my soap News off the web from SON and other sites for years now rather than SOD. 

• Members

So many great memories attached to that magazine.  I am slightly sad to see it go.

You have to hand it to them, they survived as a digest of the weekly plots even after the advent of VCRs, DVRs, and streaming.  You certainly couldn't pitch it as a viable venture today.

But, who will answer those age-old questions like was Phyllis Diller the mother of Susan Lucci?

Edited by j swift

• Members

It takes about 10 minutes to flick through an issue. Most of the info is old news by the time the issue comes out.

The occasional interview can be of interest but otherwise...

I'm surprised they didn't lean in more to the archives and republish old articles/interviews. Maybe have a wrap section each issue eg Lucci through the years with old photos/interviews or Days in the 80's etc

And when The Doctors turned up on Retro publish the synopses once the show got to 1975.

They needed to provide some point of difference.

And some of those photo shopped covers...

• Members

Rather than kick a horse when it's down, I want to recall when it was fun.  Like when they actually had in-house photographers, and art directors, who gave us iconic images

Please register in order to view this content

I remember going to the grocery every Tuesday and picking up a copy, a bag of jellybeans, and that was an amazing evening of entertainment.  I'm sad for those too young to remember when it went from bi-monthly to weekly, or when the comings and goings section went from the middle of the magazine to front. The ridiculous questions in the back.  Their relentless dragging of the daytime emmys.  The way that the black and white photos were sometimes printed slightly off center.  And the detailed descriptions of the dialogue and costumes when actual people wrote the synopses. 

There's time enough for Monday morning quarterbacking about what went wrong, I want to celebrate the memory of what it meant to us as a community.

Edited by j swift