GH: Jackie Zeman passed away

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I am absolutely shocked and totally saddened.

I loved Jackie Zeman. I loved Bobbie Spencer. Although I gave up on GH many years ago, I would tune in to see her and she never disappointed me. No matter what producer tried to fire her, Jackie hung in there and remained a loyal cast mate and a passionate advocate for daytime. 

She deserves a major tribute. A life cut short far too soon. May her memory be a blessing.

• Members

Alan Sarapa raises a good point that they’ll need to put off their tribute to JZ/Bobbie until after the WGA strike (which hopefully isn’t too prolonged and doesn’t end up snowballing to include DGA/SAG). But they do need to get it right. GH has done some wonderful tributes (John Reilly, Sonya Eddy), so I have faith they’ll do right by her. I think Tony Geary would absolutely return for it in some capacity.

Jackie’s State of Mind episode with Kin Shriner might be worth a rewatch. Maurice can be a bit much but he does elicit some good stories:

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

https://www.etonline.com/jacklyn-zemen-general-hospital-actress-dead-at-70-204395

Singer Rick Springfield -- who famously starred on General Hospital in the early 80s -- shared a tribute to Zeman with ET on Wednesday.

Incredibly stunned and broken-hearted to hear of Jackie’s passing. Such a truly kind soul with no touch of the diva and only sweet things to say about everyone. She was the one (along with Gloria Monty) who helped launch my 80s career when after the screen test along with several other hopeful young men Gloria asked Jackie who she thought would make a good Noah Drake and God bless her if Jackie didn’t say me," Springfield shared. "Love to your spirit as it ascends sweet girl. You left your mark on many of us and you will not be forgotten."

• Members

I can't believe it either. Right after SE died with what also felt like no warning. I'm glad we got to see her a lot during the lead up to the nurses ball, but damn it all. 70 just feels too young to die these days. I don't care if that's an illusion, it just pisses me off and makes me sad.

• Members

Bobbie was the heart of GH through my childhood. She and Tony were the stalwart couple, the younger version of Steve and Audrey manning the halls of GH

As so many remember the major Bobbie stories (Stealing Scotty! BJ’s heart!) for years it was about the normal moments at the brownstone that made Bobbie special. She was like a sister to Felicia. She had amazing and heartfelt scenes with Tamara and Sarah as Carly. It was those everyday scenes that made her special. 

The nurses station, the brownstone, and Kelly’s. Bobbie reigned over all the hubs of Port Charles life. I will be hard pressed to think where they will do a proper memorial for her when so many of these symbolic locales were hers. 

My dream guest list? Carnes as Lucas (of course). Rick Springfield and Susan Pratt, to close out on that love story and rivalry. Maybe extra cameos by Sarah Brown and Tamara Braun?

• Members

Those of you who knew me way back when know how much Jackie and the character of Bobbie mean to me. Growing up watching GH is what inspired me to become a writer, and so much if that was due to Jackie's brilliant work. 

Though the show tried its best to diminish and erase her, Jackie remained loyal to the institution that she helped to build. Seeing her on screen never failed to bring a smile to my face. I hope she knew what a force she was. 

I feel as if I've lost an old friend. I am heartbroken. 

Edited by Mr. Vixen

• Members

Copied from the article thread in the news forum here:

Saw this on Twitter. I still can't quite believe it. Bobbie may have become marginalized, but JZ still was a link to GH's great past.

Barbara Jean Spencer was a great bad girl gone good...or at least, a gray character.

May Jaclyn Zeman rest in peace.

And per the question above, another Tweet said it was a short battle with cancer. Damn.

• Members

This is heartbreaking and stunning. I don’t know what to say. I feel for that cast and crew and all the alums who loved her. Not to mention the cast and crew of The Bay where she was an integral part of the show. 

The cast and crew of General Hospital has had to face so much loss in a short amount of time. I don’t know if I can recall a time like this. Kristina Wagner is someone in particular who is on my mind. I hope they are doing okay and that the studio gives them the support they need to grieve. The amount of loss that they keep facing cannot be easy. 

Heartbreaking.