Y&R 50th party for cast, crew, alumni

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think it's pretty obvious why Roberta Leighton hasn't returned. You have to wonder how she allowed it.

I always wonder what these ex soap actors do for a living. She hasn't worked as an actress in  years.

Roberta-Leighton.jpg

Young and the Restless 50th anniversary, Tracey and Jennifer better hustle back to their street corner before some other girls move in . Melody's dress is OK but Victoria's getup is very Endora from Bewitched.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I wouldn't hate it! They can have him at least mention what his son Brooks is up to these days i.e., Running Prentiss Industries. 

Photos from Phil Morris IG with Eileen Davidson, Eric Braeden and John O'Hurley and Michael Damian. 

Please register in order to view this content

get?__sig=wLW16iD8EDe9pZxj6AmAdw&__expirget?__sig=79bIRCosw0qjnNccwPsmww&__expir

get

Edited by Forever8

• Members

Oof.

AD hasn't done anything, I think they were just trying to be funny. They fired her due to ageism (which is funny considering most of the leads on this show now are 40+). Or perceived ageism, anyway, SW isn't much younger than AD, just looks it.

I think Engen didn't enjoy Adam's dark turn and having Adam have gheysex was basically his "You know what? I don't need to do this" so he left. Homophobia? Probably. He was able to push through causing a woman's miscarriage and stealing a baby but having sex with a man for nefarious reasons was a bridge too far.

• Members

OK. I kind of figured it was Paul being facetious. 

Please register in order to view this content

I never got why Chris Engen was demonized for not wanting to do the scene with Rafe--and this is coming from someone who is part of the LGBTQ community. It just never made any sense to make Adam "insta-gay" and then drop it. It has never been addressed again and all things tied to Rafe (Estella included) were ushered off the screen and never mentioned again. 

• Members

One of the reasons I despised the framing of this story as some kind of brave and daring gay material - with anyone who objected to it being seen as homophobic - was that the show made sure Adam was seen as using Rafe rather than any sexual or romantic interest being involved. We were meant to be agog at how wild the show was, but never tried for any ambiguity in the storytelling. We never saw anything, aside from the infamous shot of Muhney's paw on mouthbreathing Rafe's bottom lip, and they made clear that Adam was still only interested in women. That Nelson Branco paraded Muhney, MAB, etc. as some kind of equality heroes still angers me, 15 years later. 

• Members

Right. It was to sensationalise and scandalise viewers and they got the soap press to get behind the whole thing. Y&R kind of threw Chris Engen to the wolves, and they tempted fans with a possible gay SL which many had probably really wanted to see on Y&R for a long time.

And I have to wonder if the show wasn't already planning to replace Engen with thirsty-ass Muhney. I don't think Y&R was crazy about Engen's boyish take on a character that MAB wanted to go full-dark-villain. 

Anyway, here is Engen's statement about his leaving:

https://soaps.sheknows.com/the-young-and-the-restless/news/4355/chris-engen-statement-on-quitting-young-and-the-res/

And this is a SoapCentral article about the upheaval which presents more of Y&R/CBS's view:

https://www.soapcentral.com/young-and-restless/news/2009/0525-engen.php?utm_content=cmp-true

• Members

Especially on a show where actual gay storylines were historically seen as out of the question. Not even worth discussing as a possibility, writers have said, due to Y&R’s conservative audience. Yet that and the sloppy Phillip-faked-his-death-because-he-was-gay story got the green light.