Y&R February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

OK, but is this a new Victoria Rowell interview? I hope it's old, because it's past time for her to put away these stories. She's been gone from YR for 15 years except for those few Neil episodes, and we've heard the MTS wig story 1000 times.

And no, I'm not sticking up for Scott or saying VR is wrong. I just think telling these same victim stories over and over and over is tired.

• Members

I get your point. I just don't think Rowell helps herself at all with these stories.

Yes, she works regularly, but I think she would have had an even better career if she'd handled what happened to her differently. A scorched earth policy is never good for an acting career, no matter how in the right the actor is.

VR is 63. I'd love to have her back on YR in a heartbeat, but does anyone see that happening? Even after her brief return to the show, she's STILL bringing up old slights and offenses. No studio wants to deal with that on a daily basis, and we've seen no indication Rowell is willing to put her grievances off to the side.

• Members

That Victoria Rowell interview is many many years old.  She hasn't spoken about that stuff for a very long time.  That tiktok channel posts anything to attract viewers.

VR doesn't look like that anymore.  VR has a successful career producing her own films and series and stars in some of them.

FURTHERMORE.  She appeared on Y&R 3 years ago in the tribute show to Kristoff St. John.  It was a regular episode (i.e. airing on regular channels in regular timeslot) but the actors appeared as themselves and not as their characters.

When Y&R ran old Winters family episodes during the summer 2020 pandemic reruns, VR tweeted in promotion.

AND just last year, she recurred in the CBS primetime series "Good Sam".  She would probably still be appearing in it, but the series was cancelled.

Ms. Rowell's main goal/hope was that the network would hire POC in management.  She long ago stopped talking about herself personally and changed her focus to the bigger picture of transforming the system.  Obviously she made her peace with CBS or she wouldn't have done the appearances I just mentioned. 

Edited by janea4old

• Members

As I said above, it's a very very very old interview, she hasn't continued bringing all that up, and she has worked something out with CBS.

I agree that the awareness helps...  and I don't want to glorify Y&R.  The racism is still there now, quite obviously.    Clearly many on twitter, and even inside this thread, had no idea that this horrid stuff happened.  

But the tiktok channel gave no context about how long ago the interview was recorded, and gave no report about how VR has worked since then to change the system. And I doubt the tiktok channel bothered to research what they posted. Nor did they post how VR is a dynamo who created her own successful career after she left Y&R.

• Members

You’re absolutely right @janea4old that interview is not new, but apparently it is new to those TikTok-ers out there who are discovering it for the first time.

For example, there is this whole thing going around social media that young people are discovering this flashy, acrobatic French tennis player named Gaël Monfils. There are videos on TikTok of people, particularly guys, saying that if they knew about Monfils they would actually watch tennis

Please register in order to view this content

, well Monfils has been a professional tennis for well over a decade and has even been ranked in the top 10 in the world.

These things are always  new to someone.

You’re also correct that Rowell has produced a number of projects. She’s exceedingly popular in the Caribbean, in Jamaica, in particular she often works with film and television people and is frequently featured in the national media there.

• Members

2-3

What a luckluster week. lol.

For the first time in a while, I felt my FF button get twitchy. Cuz this was not it.

Outside of seeing Victor more than once (see? I'm watching that count

Please register in order to view this content

), and the Devon/Lily drama and Abby getting mixed up into it, and Nate/Victoria...oh, and Kyle vs Summer...there was nothing to this week. And I can tell I am so ready for Heather and Lucy to appear because Phyllis vanished at the start of the week and I felt left hanging and was waiting for her to pop up. I know Hades has frozen over when I'm ready to see the Giggly Heffa.

Kyle and Summer have been an united front since they have come back. And it was a matter of time before they weren't. I've been enjoying the cracks showing. And now Kyle is keeping stuff from Summer? Good. I would rather see Kyle vs Adam anyway...the real son vs the 'adopted' son. 

I thought Abby being thrown in the middle of Devon vs Lily and making it worse was inspired. Now that Abby and Devon appear to be official, she's acting like it. Even saw a bit of fire in her when she called out Tucker. 

'Is it a date?' Or SHUT UP, CHELESA/BILLY.

And as much as I love seeing JM's hairy chest, I've said what I already said...over the WTD storyline. And to think...if Adam had stayed eavesdropping at Sally's door, he might have heard something.

• Members

Okay I was wrong in *some* of what I said.  Gotta admit it when I mess up.

Clarification/correction with FACTS:

The tweet of a tiktok was taken from a December 2021 youtube interview.
The actual interview is 55 minutes long.  The tiktok has only 5 minutes of the interview.
She says she forgave MTS and MS -- and knows that forgiveness is important and one must move on.  She spoke about those past events in the historical context of the rest of the conversation.
NOTE: 90% of the interview was VR talking strongly about transforming the industry.
And she has *receipts* - the amount of viewers, demographics, and DOLLARS involved.

It's actually a very upbeat and positive interview.  I just watched the whole thing and I was captivated.  I usually doze off during things like this but I was really interested in the entire 55 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDbpO6kF-UY

I was right that the tiktok account grabbed only the 5 minutes that would get chatter/clicks, and gave no context at all about any of it.  They didn't credit the original youtube either.

But even the youtube account had a weird title for this video.
It gave it a title referencing VR being spat upon, so I guess that's what the tiktokker glommed onto.  Why didn't the youtuber title it "VR talks about Black empowerment in television and films" ?

I found the youtube today ... because the original interviewer later saw the tweet from chris.evans.notcapnamerica -- and the interviewer replied to his tweet with the link to her youtube.

Another correction to my earlier posts: I said Victoria Rowell doesn't look like that anymore, which is true ...  But I had forgotten that she often wears that particular wig when she's being interviewed about Y&R stuff. I remember she said that during the pandemic reruns in summer 2020, that she said she wears the wig in certain circumstances because people know her as Drucilla. The person interviewing VR was a Y&R fan, so it makes sense that VR wore that wig. However, in regular life, VR's hairstyle and color is very different.