Best/Worst Written Soap Affairs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Surprised hasn't been mentioned yet, but Viki and Sloan on One Life to Live. The writing wasn't necessarily bad it's just the affair seemed needless. moreover, why would Vicky even bother to break up her marriage over a man she knew was dying? Clint Richie's Clint Buchannan got pushed to the backburner after that, until Jerry Ver Dorn came in.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Two of my favorites come from AMC. Ross and Natalie affair was so well thought out, and was filled with heat and tension, the actors had tremendous chemistry together. And you rooted for them eventhough they were both married.  I loved all the the drama it caused for each relationship and the Cortlandt family as a whole. It was almost a perfect storyline until the writers decided to make Ross rape Natalie. That was a wrong turn and a cop out to me!!!

Adam affair with Dixie was also one of the shows greatest story arcs, with many layers. a classic character driven umbrella storyline! This affair had some of everything in it and had some unexpected turns....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One of my favorites : Tad/Brooke in 1990 ! That affair spiced things up so much. I loved it so much on AMC

The early Ridge/Taylor/Brooke stuff on B&B

One of the best: Deidre and Mike on Coronation Street! That was shocking for the old times and such good and juicy soap opera stuff!

Storywise I enjoyed the grieving Nick having an affair with Phyllis in 2005 on Y&R!

Coronation Street‘s most irritating and off putting affairs were by a lesbian couple: Sophie and Sian! They went through so much but the sian actress left the show and they wrote in a little affair she had. It didn’t made any sense!

But the best lesbian affair story was also on Corrie: Kate and Rana behind Zeedans back! I never thought an oldschool affair on a soap could grab my attention again especially by 2017

• 4 months later...
  • Members

My least favorite affairs are the ones they write in to have had happened off-screen because one half of a couple who got their happily ever after is returning to the show solo. See: Harley and Mallet on GL, Andi and Antonio on OLTL

• Members

IMO, JvD getting a contract, front-burner role on another soap after the way GL had tossed him aside was nothing short of justice.  Tried as I might, however, I never could see him as Clint Buchanan, nor could I see him as a romantic partner w/ Erika Slezak.  Furthermore, I think OLTL did such a bang-up job (I say sarcastically) in splitting up Clint and Viki that any reconciliation between the two would have felt wrong to me, no matter who was portraying Clint at that time.

I agree.  The writers' decision to have Ross rape Natalie put Ross into a corner that he never escaped from, despite going to prison for awhile and being on the show for another couple of years.

First of all, John would never have cheated on Sharlene, IMO, and certainly not with Felicia.  Second, watching that story unfold, I felt like JFP was trying to make viewers see Sharlene as the antagonist in that situation, even though Felicia was the one who had committed adultery with Sharlene's husband!  That was foul!  I'm glad Anna Holbrook won an Emmy for her work in that storyline, however.

• Members

Worst: When they flirted with a romance between Palmer and Myrtle. Why would Myrtle ever be with that old crow? Notwithstanding he was her best friend, Opal’s, ex husband and Opal’s feelings for Palmer were no secret. It broke girl code. It was also a dumb, “we have two old folks on canvas, let’s pair them together.”

• Members

No, Clint Ritchie got in a tractor accident on his ranch mid-story. Clint was supposed to be the ultimate victor in the Clint/Viki/Sloan triangle, but his accident meant Clint was out of the picture a lot. Sloan's originally planned demise got pushed back considerably as a result, and by the time it was done Clint was simply not a huge priority for the show (or for Erika Slezak, who was fed up with Ritchie's alcoholism). Clint hung around until the end of '98 and did have story with Carlotta and a potential reunion with Viki under Labine, but it was never the same.

I thought JVD's Clint was very different from Ritchie's but also excellent. There was an edge and a razor-sharp intellect to his clashes with Viki that made them unique equals as well as at times rivals. Especially on the online show, they sold their pairing together based on that crackling edge. It was different than CR's more soulful Clint but it was still real, and you could buy it IMO based on Clint's need to take up the mantle of his father and his own issues re: their original divorce. I loved Viki and Charlie, but Charlie was also a very soulful guy. With JVD's Clint when they finally got back together, Viki had not had a man meeting her reporter's mind at that level in a long time.