Best/Worst Written Soap Affairs

• Members

Sounds like it. Almost forgot about Tammy.

Aside from the big affairs: Rick Webber, Susan Moore, Phelipe, Sean Donnely, Lucy and Piers Dorman there were the ones with less notiriety. Charity, Tammy, Rhonda, Bobbie, Rick 2002 (a flirtation I believe). Were there any more I missed? I think Alan had something going with Amy around the time of his addiction.

Edited by ironlion

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Of the biggies, just Ned. He and Monica hooked up before he came to town in fall '88, with Alan finally finding out in summer '90. I didn't know that about Amy during the addiction storyline. If I remember correctly, Amy had a crush on Alan back in '79-'80, when they teamed up to outsmart Tracy regarding A.J.'s parentage. I guess they figured Susan would be a better character as Alan's mistress rather than Amy.

• Members

yes Ned!

Jeez thats roughly 11 affairs between the both of them. Although the cheating stuff never really got old --partly because the Qs remained married -- did the writers ever think "maybe this is enough", lol!

I remember, seeing a scene with Alan and Amy kissing sometime after the Monica/Dorman liason, but before or during the addiction storyline. 

I suppose a good question for this thread is Alan and Monica's affairs ranked best to worst?

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Nice idea.

1. Monica & Rick, 1979-80

2. Alan & Lucy, 1989-91 (If only because Alan & Monica actually divorced.)

3. Alan & Susan, 1981-83

4. Monica & Ned, 1988 (with fallout in 1990 and 1996)

5. Sean & Monica, 1985-86

6. Monica & Pierce, 1996

7. Alan's not-exactly affairs: A tie among Gaby the nurse in '85, Charity in '86, Rhonda in '93, Bobbie in '95, Tammy in '98 and the perennial, Amy.

8. Monica's flirtations: A tie between Buzz in '85 and Rick in '02 (and I think she dated a doctor while divorced, too)

9. Monica & Philippe, 1982

Honorable mention: Monica & David (for the fallout that occurred in 1989 and 1992); Monica and Gail's first husband doesn't count because I don't think it affected her relationship with Alan.

• Members

Yeah, that was probably the best storyline that Griffiths ever wrote on Y&R of what I have seen of his tenure (I have since stopped watching) but even that doesn’t say much because it could have been so much better even before it ultimately flopped toward the conclusion. The affair should have been grounded in Michael’s constant attention to his onetime number one client: Victor Newman. Remember when Victor had Michael running all over town and it had Lauren frustrated? That would have been the perfect time to introduce Carmine into Lauren’s world. Then, it wouldn’t have been just about sex and desire but a real need for companionship and someone who makes her feel wanted. Of course, Josh doesn’t seem to understand one solitary thing about a woman’s desire and I doubt he ever will.

• Members

I don't believe there was ever any serious affair/temptation towards it portrayed between Monica and Rick on GH in 2002. At least I don't remember one. Yes, Alan chafed at his presence and it was awkward but that was about it IIRC. Which is why it galled me to discover that 5 or 6 years later they abruptly wrote in that Rick and Monica had resumed their affair offscreen shortly before his death, and Alan and Monica were written discussing it as though we were supposed to know.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Alan and Charity didn’t ever have sex. She turned him down. Alan and Rhonda kissed a couple of times but never actually had sex. They had what would probably be called an emotional affair. He never had sex with Tammy either. But not from lack of trying. His drug use made him impotent.
Also Alan didn’t have an affair with Amy. Monica accused him of having one because she misinterpreted some situations that she caught them in. Amy knew about his drug use and covered for him several times. He kept promising her he would get help.

• 2 weeks later...