Will you pay $1.99 for Peacock? Update!!! Blockbuster sale!!! Peacock at just $1.99 a month!!

Days of our lives on Peacock  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Will you pay $4.99 to watch Days of our Lives on Peacock?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I get it for free through Comcast, though I'm sure that won't last forever. I'm inclined to say I wouldn't pay for it because I find nothing else of value on Peacock. If the show moves to a less-than-daily schedule, which is probably likely, I suppose I'd buy a month every so often and binge. All bets are off if they actually uploaded '70s, '80s and '90s episodes, though -- that would definitely make me a subscriber. 

• Members

It is amusing that as I get older I recall hearing the same arguments about the value of entertainment over and over again, until we all just get used to it.

When cable tv came out everyone yelled about paying money to watch commercials.  When Howard Stern went to Sirius everyone squawked about paying to listen to the radio in your car.  When movies charged a premium for big releases everyone said that they'd never pay more than ten bucks to watch a movie.

What I will lament is the loss of mass media when 30% of the daytime audience watched the same show.  Gone are the days when everyone knew Erica Kane or Luke Spencer because less than 1% of the population can watch a show and it is considered a hit.  It reduces the opportunities to discuss entertainment with people from a variety of backgrounds like the community that has been found on these boards.

• Members

With the current state of soaps I wouldn't buy a subscription service to see newer episodes

Please register in order to view this content

. With the added promise of the entire classic library available that might be a seller. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Who knows maybe the future of soaps is once or twice a week on streaming. Less scripts, better production values, smaller casts, better writing. Maybe. 

What saddens with the collapse of soaps and daytime tv in general (even primetime) is the loss of appointment viewing. Everybody tuning in at the same time daily to have a show to talk about at the water cooler. There's a certain comfort and joy in knowing you're home sick from work but Days of Our Lives is 1:00 , Judge Judy and Oprah are on at 4:00. Something to look forward to daily. As much as I love streaming I will say people still complain about the lack of things to watch because over abundance of choice leads to paralysis. There's something nice about having shows chosen for you (in a addition to choosing what you want to watch and when you want to watch it). 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

This thread here reminds me of when seventeen years ago when World of Soap Themes (WOST) became a pay site for a $25 annual membership to keep the site going. There was a lot of backlash but I paid it because I wanted to see the classic and other material (YouTube was in infancy) and the discussion board was amazing.

Now in 2022 I am already paying for Peacock most likely to negligence on my part about ending the free trial as an entire running soap opera is about be put behind a paywall. 

This will never not be surreal.