DAYS: July 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There was some story potential for David within the plots of the last few years.

First, he would've been 54 which makes him a contemporary of Abe and Tony.  So, he could've been paired with Kate or Paulina.  He also could have renewed his interest in Kayla or his antagonism toward Anna could have turned to romance.

Second, when Sarah began to think she was Renee, he could've served that storyline

And third, given his love of motorcycles he could've been a surrogate father for Ben.

But, I never cared for David as much as I cared for Mike, or even Scotty, so I think the idea that his loss gave more time to Julie and allowed her to bond with Eli was a good choice.

• Members

David was born in 1968, and he married Renee who was old enough to be Tony's sister?  Also, he's older than Hope, which makes him older than Bo, but probably around Roman's age who is the same age as Abe (on screen). 

I'm obviously not referencing the actor's real ages, because on soaps we've had teens being portrayed by 30-year-olds.  So, I think I've done the math correctly because I don't count SORASing when characters stay in their late 20s forever.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Well, I think David would *probably* be in his 50s if they brought him on the show since they'd probably want to empathise that he's young enough to be Julie's kid (who is roughly in her 70s), but also old enough to be Eli's dad. Not that it matters since he's dead, but ages are confusing on DAYS.

I still wouldn't put him in Abe and Tony's age bracket at this point since they seem more contemporaries of Julie at this point.

• Members

I would make David around Kayla's age if he were alive.  A little younger than Tony, Marlena, Roman, et all, but significantly older than Eric, Brady, Sami, Lucas etc.  Vanessa Williams looks to be 59, MBE is 61, SSH is 78, LA is 40 so 60 seems like the right age to land for David considering Julie was a young mom and I assume Eli is supposed to be younger than LA.

Weirdly I don't consider Julie to be a contemporary of Abe/Roman.  Even though age wise they are-to me I consider them younger and a different generation.  I lump them in with Bo/Hope/Marlena/John/Patch.  I put Julie in the Victor/Maggie category.   And before someone tells me Josh Taylor is the same age as SSH-I know.  It's just an actual perception thing on my end.  I consider Marlena's age group to be a different generation because they led stories for so much longer than Julie whose been an "older" character since Hope was a teenager.

• Members

Totally unironically may I say that one of the things I love about this board is that we can have a two day discussion about a dead character's fictional age?

Also, shout to soapcentral's recap, can we agree that this line of dialogue from Julie to Eli, makes about as much sense as a guy moving to Maryland to raise twins on his own less than a month after recovering from a coma?

"You have David's slow, wonderful smile. And the way you love, Eli. So fiercely, so true," Julie said.

What's a slow smile?

• Members

I loved that dialogue specifically & the whole episode's writing generally and a slow smile spreads slowly across the face instead of just going from no smile to full smile in 60, so to speak. I was just looking at David Martin, Jr. aka Bradley Banning on this fandom wiki https://daysofourlives.fandom.com/wiki/David_Banning?fbclid=IwAR3pDZ8-uHYCoxf7PNm9WBfQCoBQxH2tZkTSi_wgJISju9SQzUeiiHPekZQ 

and according to it David was born Jan. 28, 1958 & was reported dead in Feb. 2017 at the age of 59. And, age is as confusing as family in Salem.

• Members

Will is actually one of the characters age that makes some sort of sense since they pretty much allowed him to grow up on-screen, same with Abby (along with Shawn-Douglas, who also only had minor adjustments to keep Hope a "young" heroine).

But the biggest [!@#$%^&*] up of all when it comes to ages is still Belle since she was so important to forming of Sami's character with the conception and then Sami kidnapping her. Now they're the same age!