DAYS: Fire Jamey Giddens!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Only time I think 80s Days incorporated the 70s sensibility was in the Shane/Kimberly/Eve situation.  Put those 3 in a scene together at their house and you didn't need stunts or gimmicks.  It wrote itself.

Eve finding her dad...wanting her real dad and mom back together... she and Kimberly taking one step forward and two steps back.  Relatable and good counterbalance to the Stefano action stories.

And Patch/Kayla's 1988 wedding was epic..because there was a build up to them being together.  It had heart and emotion.

And Jack and Jennifer also had an organic start with him mentoring her and she helping him open up to love himself and her.

Days in the late 80s had so much depth and heart.

Maybe the advancement of technology has hindered our ability to dig beneath the surface. 

• Members

I enjoy name dropping.  I appreciate any reference to a shows history despite execution, I will give them the credit.  How I would've  loved GL in the 90s or 00s name drop Katie Parker, IQ, Steve Jackson, Kelly Nelson or Dr. Paul Fletcher.

• Members

To be fair, that wouldn’t really make sense as Renee is pretty much just words on a page to Sarah. It’s all in her imagination as she wouldn’t have memories of Renee to be able to emulate her mannerisms. But if LG did choose to pick up on some of PS’s idiosyncrasies, that’s her homework, not up to the BTS creatives.

• Members

Or they could have realized that it was a stupid story and wrapped it up immediately.

A soap has gotta do more than drop names and reference histories, though.  It's gotta do so in ways that are meaningful and don't insult the memory of those names and events.  Otherwise, why bother?

That's just another way of saying, "If you think you're so much better than those hacks, why don't YOU trying creating and/or writing a soap?".  Trust me, if people on here really wanted to, they would, and whatever they'd come up with would be ten times more entertaining than what's coming from the idiots who are currently being paid to do it!

Good point!

• Members

Who can forget the glories of "black rabbit Jack Abbott" and "cut the crap!"? And IIRC, Jamey's toxic site DC was among those pushing that line. Over and over, star writers and star personalities, and their sycophants, have put the final nails in the coffin of this genre. The current gruesomely untalented, thin-skinned HW of DAYS being one of the best and worst examples. 

• Members

Agree 100%.  I love name drops like Eli saying Shane told him to call Billie the other day.  Perfect use of history and a name.

This is a story built around a character but doing no respect to the character.  It's useless.  I agree it's on LG to do the homework and it just writing on paper as Renee for her, but at least conjure up the image of Renee or what Renee would think of herself on paper.  Not some dimwitted fool who can't tell people have aged or that Xander is not Alex Marshall.  It's not respecting history it using history to manipulate the audience into thinking it's a good story by name dropping a super old, fairly obscure character.  Just because Jamey Giddens can remember a name and a story doesn't mean it translates to good writing.

• Members

LOL! I actually saw a tweet from him not knowing who he was. It was something referencing Belle being possessed or whatever. Or, is it JoSatan doing his playful trickery to be Belle.  Then, my sidebar showed his profile and I saw his credentials. #Gulp. I seriously don't know these people and I really don't care.

Although, isn't David Kreizman a breakdown writer for DAYS as well? Wouldn't it be kewl if David Kreizman still had some Peapack, New Jersey memorabilia like a Port-o-Potty from the public park Guiding Light used when they shot on location? Look. I know David was a writer and all, but there is power in the power of a black Sharpie - especially when you have the cast and crew sign their names on it. You know, kind of like the way high school students sign each other's yearbooks.

"Spring 2008 in Peapack, New Jersey has been an absolute blast! Enjoy your summer! See you in September!" ~ Friends4Ever, Grant Alexander

Autographed Port-o-Potty's can be fun! They're all big and light! They're fun and frisky and have that lingering midnight lavender nightingale scent?

• Members

I think the main issue with Renée is that while she was popular during her original run, she's also a character that kind of existed in a vacuum for three or so years of the shows run. They've literally made no efforts with keeping her alive since then, unlike let's say Addie, Isabella, even Paige etc. Alex Marshall is another character that's just lost in the mists of time despite a fairly long run of eight years. It's not like they're going to bring back 85-year-old Quinn Redeker, so what's the point?

• Members

Sorry, but can someone breakdown the roles and responsibilities of a breakdown writer vs. a head-writer? O*Net does not help at all. I would say going down the titles, the head-writer writes the stuff while the breakdown writers polishes it up a little bit??? 

Like I said ... I tried O*Net. I'm coming up a dollar short. In my field of expertise, it would be interesting to hear about the R&R's. Not so much about the KSAO's.