DAYS: Fire Jamey Giddens!!

• Members

Why do you insist on that (our going off as fans and creating our own shows) as being the solution to all the troubles that plague these shows?  Sure, we could go create our own stuff if we had to, or wanted to, but why should we?  Why can't we just hold to the proverbial fire the feet of those who are being paid to write and produce the shows still on the air?  Is it really so bad just to ask those jackholes to do better, to try harder, to not bore the audience or insult their intelligence or tastes on a regular basis?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's a good point, because @Lust4Life76 comment is kind of like saying if you disagree with the government why don't you just start your own country.

There are absolutely no consequences to fans discussing their opinions on a board.  Nobody is suggesting actually harassing writers on social media.  This is just a forum amongst viewers and if production chooses to follow along that is another bad decision on their part. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

My view, how long has the writing been like this on a soap (or all the soaps) to the point you're dissatisfied? I will agree from other comments I have seen that the writing could be of a higher caliber - as preceded by Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon and Bill Bell, but also Douglas Marland, Michael Malone, etc.,...  But we've been waiting for a decade and a half. I agree with people - as having watched Ron's version of "One Life to Live" (some of which I liked) yet his ability to name drop, rewrite histories (that had already been maintained by celebrated regimes) that ultimately led to no payoff. I guess that's why I champion taking to writing your own show where you control your continuity, your tone, your characters and honor your histories. SO many of you are speaking from a good place and it's out of respect for what the genre excelled at - tight, engaging stories that you could recapture an audience. Long gone are the days the networks really had any say... Now we can all take agency, and you never know the success and/or connections you may contribute to the genre.  If Jamey Giddens can get a gig, why can't more people?

I know you previous shared that you think I was challenging you for having an opinion. But I do respect what you are saying. 

You're a clown.

Edited by Lust4Life76
Wasn't finished writing.

• Members

If what you're doing fulfills you, more power to you. But I'm sorry, writing your own show or getting a job at one of these shows vs. writing fanfic on this forum are two really different things.

For myself, I work in another part of the industry where I'm happy doing what I'm doing, and I have different goals and bigger creative fish to fry than soaps. I don't have any interest in working in daytime today because of the state of the genre and that particular piece of the industry. Trying to pursue creating a daytime soap today is like trying to pursue creating your own horse and buggy company. I have no interest in Jamey Giddens' career path, but even if I did, I wouldn't be doing it by writing original prose on this forum. I hope what you do makes you happy, but it has nothing to do with me and it's not going to change my critical review of these shows.

• Members

I've been writing my own text-based soap, Footprints, for fun/writing practice since 1997 (I was in junior high and it was terrible the first few years!). I also work as a writer in TV -- not daytime. Am I allowed to take issue with the writing on a show I watch?! 

(For the record, I'm not advocating for Jamey, or anyone, to be fired, but this conversation took quite a turn.)

And I get the general spirit behind "if you don't like the entertainment you're being served, create something you love!" in theory, but like... if I go to a restaurant and order filet mignon and it sucks, I should be able to declare that or send it back without being obligated to go butcher a cow and make my own.

Edited by Michael

• Members

Given that the only two things that I have to judge his talents by are Ambitions and his self-confessed pitch for the Renee storyline, I am not a fan of his creative endeavors.  But, few could quibble that it is remarkable that a fan with a podcast became part of an award wining writing team.

• 2 weeks later...