Degrassi Reboot Ordered

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I will always be okay with and excited about a new Degrassi series. To me, it really is the phoenix of teen dramas - it's always been centered around a school and its ensemble of students. You don't have to look into bringing back a bunch of old characters or cast members, you don't have to make the set exactly the same, etc. There should be little tie-ins to the previous series, but the focus should always be on the new/current characters and their stories.

I do worry about the possibility of them trying to chase the current view of what a "real" teen drama. DTNG went off the rails a lot post-2010 and lost a lot of what made it such a good, grounded school drama. Next Class was better but it felt a little try-hard/forced (the focus on social media/phones, the "all-inclusive" club). I worship the ground Linda and co. walk on, but I think they did good by choosing to step away. I just hope the new PTB have studied the template carefully.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I know they needed to usher in new cast, but when The Next Generation core cast exited, it kind of changed, which is why I'm happy the name switched to simply Degrassi. Since HBO Max added it, I've been re-watching from the beginning and just finished the sixth season. The influences of the next class coming in were done nicely, but it did begin to feel as bit... off.

• Members

I agree, there was a big change. Seasons 6, 7, and 8 are the roughest to watch for me, outside of the big moments like JT's death. They were scared to let go of the original core group but also needed the show to still be set at Degrassi. Stretching a school year out over two whole seasons was their remedy for that, but it just made things worse because by the time the Emma crew were ready to graduate, it felt like they should have BEEN finished school.

And they never had to do anything like that with the 80s series. It ran in a short little package that allowed them to follow the same group from junior high to high school and then "The End." They clearly needed to keep the 2000s series going because it was still very popular, but maybe being a little braver with pushing ahead with new kids would have helped. The problem is that they centered the show around those two grade levels (Paige/co and Emma/co) for so long and never developed any younger than the Emma crew until they absolutely had to.

• Members

Mhmm, and it ultimately bit them in the behinds. They brought Darcy & Claire in, and then when Darcy was out, they re-introduced Claire. I also found it weird they brought back in Alex Steele but as a new character instead of returning her as Angela. Missed opportunity to again connect the generations.