Unpopular opinions: cancelled soaps edition

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

But Prospect Park produced content beyond AMC and OLTL, including Salem, which aired after the two soaps ended. Prospect Park produced Royal Pains for years. TOLN always never seemed to have much of a presence and faded quickly.

That said, the production was troubled. My husband and I had a dinner party in March 2013 that was attended by someone in the soap industry. He filled me in about the issues that were later revealed, including cast and crew not getting paid. He said morale was horribly low with the crew, who were being bussed to CT from NY. 

• Members

As someone familiar with that commute and has done it a number of times, even to film locations, I can tell you that, after awhile, it gets old fast. I have also experienced wage theft once or twice in those situations, and it leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth.

I know more than you think I do on this topic.

I was not interested in easily decipherable data points that can be found with a simple search. I was looking at, thinking aloud, really, regarding the aspect of accountability, which was more rhetorical, as I know perfectly well, it is something we'll never truly get.

• Members

Even the Metro North is terrible, in some ways it's worse--such a slow moving train (that's if you're not on a train that gets derailed) that has only gotten worse with the passage of time mostly because of old tracks. There was a time when I had to take it 5, 6 days a week for a few months-- boy, was I ever miserable!

• Members

"TOLN" was always a grift. Everything would change on a dime about the supposed 'network,' its PR releases and often weird videos, its big moves, etc. and their public conduct was often really unprofessional and volatile. The entire venture was clearly the bluff/brainchild of some coked-up venture capitalists from the start. I was less surprised that it fell apart and far more surprised that the shows happened at all.

That being said, against all odds the shows themselves were IMO very good to excellent despite the shitshow BTS. It took a mix of veteran creatives and people outside the daytime bubble - however crazy they were - to shake up the medium. I just wish better hands had steered the larger project. I maintain that AMC 2.0 was the best soap of the 2010s.

Edited by Vee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

It's sad that they mostly got it right on screen with the PP reboots, but behind the scenes was an absolute nightmare. Soaps in the 00s have such bad luck! It would've been easier to let them go if the reboots sucked, but I became so invested in both. If only they had a smart investor with a plan, I imagine both would still be huge hits for Hulu and OWN.

• Members

Agree! Even though OLTL was better the show by the time it left ABC. AMC had more of the name recognition. So, they should've just focused their time and attention on that. As well as bringing back characters tied to legacy whom we hadn't seen in years. As well as developing interesting new characters as well.