Unpopular opinions: cancelled soaps edition

• Members

I'd agree. Some of the buildup to the kills was effective, or the occasional setpiece. It certainly got a lot of attention and buzz. But I've never forgotten a) how much it was played for laughs while being scripted to the absolute lowest common denominator, and b) how much certain folks who grew up watching Reilly DAYS insisted he could do no wrong and that this was all great soap opera. It was shít, and it was obvious at the time. You can create buzz and do a big, crazy storyline like that one - I love slasher movies! - without turning everything onscreen into a complete joke.

Melaswen being very stupid does not negate the stupidity and folly of the actual execution of the Stalker storyline before it. Sure, I watched quite a lot of it. But it made absolutely no sense before, during and after. And of course, once again, it was all the DiMeras' fault. Zzzz.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't remember the skeleton children! That would've been cool tbh.

It was the day to day writing and execution that was so often amateur level. And the fact that Reilly clearly thought Marlena could just do anything (it was obvious it was her before they revealed it) and it would be fine and make no difference. I still remember people weeping that Reilly's supposed genius-level original plan for the story was denied.

• Members

But i do loved Shawn-Douglas being on to Marlena for a while during the Salem Stalker Storyline.. I wonder what would've happened if they didn't turned it into the Melaswen BS and made Marlena a psycho after all.

I mean her sister Samantha was quiet psycho herself if i remember correctly.

Victors death was hilarious during that time and Abe and Jack came really off guard. Dougs death made me the most upset with Alice Horton.

• Members

I felt Téa’s, “I don’t f^cking care!” in my bones. So satisfying.

Having just caught up on three months of B&B (I was burning through several episodes a night), I really wish the PP soaps were still available for my next nightly viewing project. Just like with the P&G Soap Classics page on AOL, I wrongly assumed that anything uploaded to the Internet would be there forever. As someone touched upon upthread, it can be overwhelming when so much content is uploaded in a short period of time. IIRC, months of Texas were uploaded in a few weeks. It was almost too much of a good thing. I’m forgetting exactly what kept me from staying current with the PP soaps. I would certainly make the time now.

• Members

What I loved was that I was legitimately excited to go on this cheesy little adventure. It was akin to that old school anticipation of a new soap’s debut. I hadn’t felt that since November 13, 1995 with The City. Yet in a limited run, you instinctively know that the show doesn’t have time to [!@#$%^&*] around, it has to take off running and be intriguing every day. Also there’s no fear of cancellation as it isn’t meant to last. It’s just icing. I loved when All My Children did those web only minisodes back in its final year or so. I haven’t watched Chad and Abby in Paris, no real draw for me there, but Beyond Salem was at least to me an undeniably fun little jaunt.

I’m smiling playing that OLTL opening in my head.

• Members

I liked the swearing because thats how people I know talk but ES was right PP used swearing too much to be edgy and they didnt write long term story, there seemed to be a lot of lets try this and hope it works

Stories from what I heard from AMC & OLTL actors who saw scripts never filmed is that the stories were more thought out

It didnt help that they got Green lit in Jan 13. Started Filming Feb 25 13. They had no time to prep long story

• Members

Profanity has to be used in moderation and not just to be edgy, especially when it comes to a format where it wasn't present before. That aside, I remember waking up first thing in the morning to watch the PP's AMC and OLTL while I had breakfast. It was a good time.

• Members

I'm pretty sure Horgan/Racina attempted to write some long story for OLTL, as I suspect Agnes and co. did at AMC, despite the intense time crunch of getting those shows together. I don't know how much of the former survived, as the changeover in HWs happened very late, but I do suspect the entire Jeffrey King twist/Triskelion cartel tattoo people arc with Carl Peterson was there from the start - that's Racina's style. I know there were rumors of rewrites re: the Celia story on AMC or the whole thing with Jane the barista's mysterious life constantly getting cut out.

Edited by Vee