Y&R June 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

At least Victoria had an edge when talking to Lily and Billy, who are so frickin boring even before marriage.

And those park scenes with Kyle, Tara, and Harrison were SO bad. They could not have less energy or urgency. Summer should run from all three of them.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Drams stems from conflict which seems non existent with Billy/Lilly.

The thing is, we know the two very well as they've been on for years. That's one problem the show has with pairing up all those vets.

Vet characters pretty much need to pair up with new people so the new characters can bring freshness to the situation.

Trouble is there's no room for new characters and the casting/writing is seldom up to pair.

Look at the interest already shown with Nate/Imani- so many possibilities...because we don't know a lot about either character.

• Members

Amanda's family is very interesting. As you all stated, the casting is excellent. Imani is just as beautiful as Amanda/Hilary. They look like family.  Im hoping that Imani and Amanda become very close. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

I think Mishael has a facility with the formal, somewhat unnatural dialogue that Karla didn’t have, and it really changes the tenor of those scenes (for the better by leaps and bounds… it really drives home how talented MiMo is).

You can have an educated, upper-crust family without making them sound like robots… Y&R is really doing them a disservice.

Speaking of bad, this Tara actress is a miss. If they intend for the character to stick around, they need to recast. That’s not to say that this story can be saved (even Richard Burgi feels stiff in his role), but she still is conspicuously bad.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

+1’s.

I had hoped Y&R casting an unknown for the role might be interesting but so far it’s been a dud. The lazy writing is definitely a problem but it be nice to have the Tara character actually bring some energy to the proceedings as well as showing signs of chemistry with Kyle to see why they had an affair. Alas this is Y&R in 2021 though. 

• Members

Jack being reduced to a cheerleader for his idiot son and the moronic Summer is pathetic.  Summer will always be the jerk who bullied that kid and banged her uncle. She is garbage. Sally needs to take out the trash! 
Bring Theo back. They took the time to make him related to the Abbott’s,  at least utilize him.
What woman in her right man would run to Kyle when she has a hunky silver Fox taking care of her?  Kyle has nothing to offer that boy other than Mrs. Martinez’s cookies. Has anyone asked Mrs.Martinez if she wants to care for Kyles love child?
I’m enjoying Amanda and her family, 

• Members

A Leslie Brooks mention!

Fri June 4th US episode,. Victor gave Nikki tickets to see Leslie Brooks perform piano concerto #3 live in Florence, Italy!  No word yet if  Leslie will appear onscreen.

And ... she's Theo's biological half-aunt.  Theo is in Paris.   Wonder if he'll visit Florence to meet his aunt Leslie?

Leslie last appeared in March 2018 for the Walnut Grove reunion.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I know. Not going to spoil anything and I'm not even up to date on either show but I don't understand how GH has so much better production values and writing now. You never feel like "oh, this character should be in this scene but I guess they can't afford it today" or "oh, this scene should really be taking place in this location but I guess they couldn't put up that set today."  Y&R at this point is just all exposition of things that happened offscreen (that make no sense). 

It would be nice if something came of it but I'm not getting my hopes up. 

• Members

Well. they wasted Janice's time at the 45th anni appearance, so I doubt she'll turn up.

It was probably a scriptwriter throwing a bone to loyal fans - maybe the outline says 'Victor gifts Nikki a trip to Italy and they filled in the blanks.

I would have thought Leslie's best playing days were behind her. Maybe she's doing one of those morning melodies gigs at a community center and Victor got senior discount tix.

Speaking of Nikki,I'm a few days behind but so far she was at Crimson Lights to talk to Billy, then Society for a time waste scene where she encountered Amanda/Imani, then to Victor's office for a convo then back to Society to get her birthday gift from Victoria. Poor gal. Just wandering around town without a purse in that dowdy pink dress, trying to fill in time -  probably desperate for a drink, yearning for the days she spent at the ranch when folks visited her...

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

GH is doing very basic soap stuff. Like having big secrets that viewers are waiting to be revealed (Sonny being alive, Brook Lynn and Valentin’s baby actually being Maxie’s). The only “suspenseful stories” we’ve had on Y&R in recent months was Chelsea framing Adam and Kyle hiding his son’s paternity from Jack (why would he care that much?).

I’ve been somewhat enjoying GH, but I also don’t want to overrate it for doing things that we’d normally expect from even bad soaps back in the day. 

Y&R is soooo flat and uninspired, it’s pathetic. I don’t even think it’s a step up from DAYS, production-wise, and if it’s going to be “character-driven,” they need a stronger writing staff. Of all the remaining soaps, Y&R characters have the least distinctive, individualized voices. Even Faith’s dialogue as a teen doesn’t stand out much.

Speaking of off screen, Amanda is working on Sutton’s case, but where has he been? Have we even had a scene with Sutton and Naya/Imani yet?

We should have seen Amanda at an Ames/Benedict family dinner at this point (forgive me if I’ve missed that), but I suppose that’s beyond Y&R’s shrinking budget at this point. (Hell, they could have had dinner at Society, for heaven’s sake.) We get strained meetings in the Grand Phoenix lobby instead.

Edited by Faulkner