• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sometimes it almost seems like Dan writes his own storylines and Chris writes his own. Instead of the two of them collaborating on everything in the show as a whole, they each have their own stuff to work on, separate from each other, which is why some storylines seem well plotted out (Sonny/Nina, Michael/Chase/Willow) while others are messy (Peter, Cyrus).

And agreed on MEK. It still feels like they don't know what to do with him. But I do want to try some hummingbird cake lol he would've been better off as Jeff Webber.

• Members

I think the writing for Cyrus is bad, but I also blame Jeff Kober. Because he was scary and creepy on other roles doesn’t mean he’s a failure on GH only because of the writing.

Was he successful on those other shows only due to the writing? No. So the truth is the writing onGH is lousy and so is he. He’s not just a meh villain, he’s terrible.

And Michael E Knight can leave tomorrow. His Southern charm is wretched to watch. These two are Laura’s siblings? My God.

• Members

Nah!  It's not Jeff.  Carly should have never been able to neutralize Cyrus by just taking his mother.  Cyrus should have gone on with business as planned and told Carly, in no uncertain terms, that if anything happens to his mother while in Carly's custody, even if a natural heart attack, he would pick off her family one by one.  There is absolutely nothing Carly would be able to do about that, and she would have only picked up extra expenses keeping Flo safe because Flo would be a useless hostage.  

They even had Parking Lot Petey crying because Anna wasn't his mother.  A real villain, no matter how bad the performer is, would already have known she wasn't his mother but was only using Anna for his own gain.  

Frank doesn't do villains.  He just writes arcs of his pets doing bad things because soaps need characters who do bad things. He will slowly "redeem" them and have us rooting for them.  Folks already want Dr. O in a relationship.  

I mean...Cyrus walks right out of prison and into GH's COO position?  Dr. O has numerous crimes on a federal level, yet she walks right in as COO.  Stanco, a serial killing rapist terrorist gets a family with a woman who was brutally raped as a teen, and only gone now because the actor performer was tired of the character being bashed.  What's Petey's new gig gonna be?  Governor?  

Daytime soaps are at the bottom of the food chain for a reason! 

• Members

I have to very vehemently disagree with this particular example.
Now I agree with the gist of what you said: I don't think any villain has been particularly well-written (and as I said I am not a fan of the parade of umbrella villains of the year).

But the notion that a good villain could not possible have shown hurt and vulnerability when realizing the mother he had been longing for was not actually her is very very wrong. Mustache-twirling one-step-ahead villains can be good and work sometimes. But there is something to be said for showing a villain's journey into being a villain. For a villain to be written as complicated. For a villain to genuinely love some while committing evil. To be vulnerable and human AND scary. Actually some of the scariest villains are those who show humanity because it makes their choices to commit evil even more chilling. And understanding their motives is definitely a plus.
So no. Peter is not well-written but more importantly is not well-acted. But his desire to know his real mother, in the hands of a better actor and better writing, could have been an interesting character layer.

As I said, I otherwise agree with you. Cyrus' obsession with his own mother is written as weird and whiny rather than a scary Psycho-style Mommys-boy thoroughline they seem to have intended.

• Members

There was an early scene with Cyrus and Laura when he was being released from prison.  Genie Francis did more in those scenes to make Cyrus seem like a threat, and he played off that well in those scenes.  And it’s been downhill since.

And he is a good actor.  Incredible on China Beach, and he certainly has played many menacing characters on other shows.  Soaps and their pace are not for everyone.  Even soap people that have been doing it for years struggle sometimes.

• Members

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m kinda digging the Scotty Baldwin/Liesl Obrecht union happening here. For me, probably one of the few bright spots in the whole Peter umbrella storyline.

My ultimate hope - we get an unlikely foursome of Anna/Valentin/Scotty/Liesl to officially join forces and somehow stop Peter. As much as this storyline has just draaaaaaged on, it’s resulted in the mixing of characters that we never would have previously seen. And I totally give GH props for doing that.