Y&R April 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Yes.

I have always said that one of the worst things about soaps is they have glamorized the on-and-off-and-on-and-off thing as "romantic" (soulmates making their way back to each other) rather than a abusive vicious circle. One major consequence of that is how weak it portrays women - because it is usually the female characters, of course, who have to do most of the forgiving and getting-over bad behavior.
Nikki has never been interesting when married to Victor. All of her greatest stories have involved either her while in other relationships or, better yet, standing up to him.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So Ashland is shutting down all these Jabot plants, and big bad Jabot has a plan: put Jack and Kyle in the boardroom with one laptop and fixes will happen.

Who writes this shi_t? I love a good business story, but make it realistic. It’s stupid to believe Ashland could shut down plants all over the world anyway.

Edited by ranger1rg

• Members

The fact that there are plants all over the world...

Like when Lauren (for no reason) announced Fenmore's was opening in Japan and Sth Korea (when department stores are shutting down everywhere)Meanwhile she operates her business with no staff or office.

Jabot should have been a boutique cosmetics firm, Fenmore's a small chain operating in the midwest, Newman an investment business with a few holdings.

The characters could be wealthy but it would be believable that they would be based in GC and the businesses could be depicted somewhat realistically. And threats would seem real.

But when its been established that the Newmans are multi billionaires...

• Members

I miss business storylines on this show particularly that would actually show the company working on a cosmetics line from start to finish. i.e. Beauty of Nature, Glo By Jabot, and Tuvia and Safra. Now it's just talk and little to no action. A few years ago I wanted Jabot to revive "Glo By Jabot" when the twins, Shauna, and Reed were around on the canvas. 

Now we get a tiny Jabot boardroom with PowerPoint presentations in 2020-2021. SMH!!! Even on a show like Generations : The Legacy - A South African soap with even lower budget we actually see characters working at the media company from the ground floor employees to the board members. 

• Members

Even before this, we got to see the genesis of the Men's Line spearheaded by Jill Foster Abbott, and yes, we even saw Brenda Dickson as a businesswoman and being convincing as one too!

In order to write convincing business storylines, some degree of specificity is a must, which requires effort, something that Y&R hasn't shown much of in years. In the last nine or so years, the storytelling has been somewhat vague to the point of near abstraction. It almost seems like no one who writes this show wants to commit to details, lest attentive viewers and fans check them on the show's specifics, making the producers, show runner accountable for what they put out there.

• Members

I liked the way they slowly sold Dickson as a convincing businesswoman - by not dropping her frivolity altogether or making her a genius out of nowhere, but by building on her existing established skills - not least of which the shrewdness she had shown in getting shares of Jabot in the first place and her, well, taste for men. It wasn't dropped out of the sky and it made sense.
Old Y&R could be slow (I swear the two hours before Jill's "press conference" where we were waiting to find out if John was going to yield to her blackmail and give her shares must have lasted three weeks on-screen) but the advantage of old soap storytelling is that you could make a character switch a lot more believable by slowly building it up piece by piece while distracting us with "hunky secretary auditions".

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

Yep, it's nice to know that Fenmore's is THRIVING around the world, while Macy's struggles.   Guess Macy's should turn to Lauren for advice, assuming they can find her in an appropriate coffee shop or restaurant in order to have a board meeting with her.   And what's so bad is that Fenmore's actually had some financial problems for about 5 minutes a couple of years ago, but since that storyline seemed rooted in reality, they dropped it pretty fast.  

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Years ago, I mentioned what a missed opportunity to write a relevant story that was and as parts of the retail sector continue to struggle (e.g. traditional brick and mortar department stores), the creative decisions that Y&R decided to make in regards to that Fenmore storyline seem even more short-sighted now.

• Members

They don't need to introduce another lesbian or bi woman to pair with Mariah. They just don't want to pair her with any eligible men bc they have other female stars the network and showrunners find more attractive and viable, despite Grimes' popularity with the longtime audience. They consider her a frump and not lead material. It's obvious. Bullshít but obvious.