Y&R April 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Their motivation behind the storyline decisions for Mariah are so warped and imo, it's more of their perception of her looks, based on the fact that she's not a size 0 (The inverse seems to be the reason why they constantly have Lily, in lingerie, sexing up these men who look noticeably older than her). Whenever I've seen CG outside of Y&R, she always looks pretty.

It makes me wonder how Heather Tom would have been treated had she stayed with Y&R. I remember an interview many years ago, in which Tom said that someone commented on her weight, as if to suggest that she was overweight, to which Heather remarked "I'm a size 4!"

It often makes me wonder-- who exactly does Y&R think they're writing for? I mean, who is their audience? 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Are those people watching the Young and The Restless though? Or maybe Cinemax after dark?

Please register in order to view this content

It would be like today's daytime soaps to write stories for the viewers least likely to watch. Very much 'on brand'.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Lily looks great in that sparkly dress.

Y&R has a lot more energy lately (actual conflict) and seems to have stabilized in the ratings (recently beating TPIR in both ad demos), but it’s still pretty bad. This is likely the best it’ll get for the foreseeable future. 

• Members

Did Moses really have a chat with Nick before ever meeting his sister Lily?

The story surrounding Kyle’s secret is oddly constructed. Why is Kyle hiding the paternity of Harrison from Jack of all people? Like I’m not waiting on pins and needles anticipating how Jack will respond...

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Viewers can be "trained" if the storytelling is considerate. It's kind of like what @FrenchBug82
was saying, the old style of more methodical ("slower") storytelling had this advantage over what soaps do today.  I'd agree with that. The viewers had more time to gradually adjust to a new paradigm. It's how vixens and vamps could become heroines and vice versa. Jill Foster Abbott is one of the best examples of this. Nina Webster is another. The storytelling doesn't have to be plodding or very slow but a decent amount of investment of time and energy needs to be committed. I wish they would, I mean, they're already on air...why not?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Which brings me to the point I made in an earlier thread to much blowback.
There is nothing to Amanda other than MM being very talented. So I am glad she is around but the writing needs to give Amanda *something* because I am incapable of figuring out who she is and why I should care other than I like the actress at this stage.

• Members

Except for Chelsea in that wheelchair, that story keeps dragging out. Has she even changed her clothes in the last five months?

Still interested in the mystery of Amanda’s father today it was good seeing Karla again on screen. 

Ashland and Tara haven’t been that bad but Kyle and Summer definitely have been the weakest links. Victor pulling an old school power play move out of his book was actually more fun that I thought it was going to be nor was as offensive as other things he has pulled.