Y&R April 2021 Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

We have to accept that Nikki's days of having a lot of hot stories are over. But I think she does fit the place of a grand dame pretty well and while it may not be active in SL, it means she will stick around.
With JC gone and EB 80yo, I think she is safe.

If she stays, I have a feeling she might be infrequently used. She’s the same age as Nancy Lee Grahn, who’s still front and center on GH. There *should* be ways of using her, with a little imagination. She hasn’t destroyed her looks with excessive cosmetic interventions like some of her peers. Playing wife to Victor and family mediator are not all she should be doing. She’s still one of daytime’s most recognizable stars. Even JC had story nearly to the end, but Katherine cast a wider net in GC.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

On an impulse, I decided to check out a livestream of the last 25 minutes of today's episode and it looks like somebody is trying to give Victoria a backbone where Victor is concerned.

It is bizarre how much the storyline of her suing Victor because of the trust fund ended up meaning nothing to the show, the characters and apparently making so little impact that viewers have forgotten it.
Despite the fact it could and should have been a huge battle that changed their relationship. Alas...

by the way, has Sophia been seen with her teen son in GC yet

I was wondering if that was going to be addressed at some point. I am no huge fan of Sophia and she would be kind of adrift in GC without her only anchor which was Neil but it still feels like we should see her even for a visit.

Is Stafford still resistant to being paired PB? Looking at them both today and I no longer see that much of an age difference between them.

Lord knows I have heard the fair share of criticism of her over the years - much warranted - and I was well aware she very much preferred to be in JM's Nick orbit because they are buddies but did we ever get stories that she was concerned being paired with Jack was aging her? Yikes.

41 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

If she stays, I have a feeling she might be infrequently used. She’s the same age as Nancy Lee Grahn, who’s still front and center on GH. There *should* be ways of using her, with a little imagination. She hasn’t destroyed her looks with excessive cosmetic interventions like some of her peers. Playing wife to Victor and family mediator are not all she should be doing. She’s still one of daytime’s most recognizable stars. Even JC had story nearly to the end, but Katherine cast a wider net in GC.

It is funny how subjective it is because I didn't realize she was the same age as NLG. Despite looking fantastic, she has been playing the mother of adult children for so long that Nikki *feels* older. Several of Alexis children are barely out of teenagehood so she reads younger than NLG is. And of course Nikki is saddled - I use the word knowingly - with supercoupledom with Victor and EB is 80 while NLG still manages to have romances and sexual trysts so while they are both beautiful women of the same age, one character just reads older on-screen than the other.
I will be blunt: I wish EB a happy long life. But he is 80yo. Fact is Nikki could have some life left in her as a widow (for instance Jill's stories as an older woman were dreadful but they did try) but in the current state of things, while I don't see her going anywhere, I also don't see her being front-and-center much anymore.

On 4/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, Soapsuds said:

Without Victor.. Nikki is nothing. She should've been offed years ago. Victor marries Ashley and there is war between Ashley and HT Victoria.

HELLL NO!

On 4/16/2021 at 1:22 PM, FrenchBug82 said:

We have to accept that Nikki's days of having a lot of hot stories are over. But I think she does fit the place of a grand dame pretty well and while it may not be active in SL, it means she will stick around.
With JC gone and EB 80yo, I think she is safe.

Well a lot of your points are debatable but that's subjective and that's fine.

But I don't understand the "They are shoving Adam down our throat" argument though. I don't like the Shadam story either and as you said, it doesn't make sense based on what happened during the JH years but I don't feel the *character* is being *forced down our throats*.
He is an established character and he has story. Like him or not, root against him or not, fine. That's fair game but that's not what "forced down our throats" mean for a character at all.

It is not even a case of the show telling us to "like him, like him, like him" because they are unnecessarily writing him to be really cold to Chelsea: if they wanted us to sympathize with him, that's not the way they'd go.
I don't buy what they are selling on Shadam at all (and I was a huge fan during the MM years) and there is plenty of room to dislike Adam himself. But "being written for" is different from "being shoved down our throats".

As for Sally, she has literally done nothing since she arrived. Now, as someone who likes her, I find that too bad but "Sally is worse than Phyllis" is one special kind of character fandom. You like Phyllis: good, enjoy her! You wanna dislike Sally because Phyllis dislikes Sally? Fine, that's great! But let's not be delusional about what is or is not happening on the show.
Phyllis tried to commit murder at least twice (running Cricket/Paul over and the Sasha fire). She doesn't behave like this anymore but there are very few, if any, "worse" people in terms of track record on the show right now.

Saying Adam "isn't being shoved down our throats", I just don't get that at all.  When Adam is Josh Griffith's fave character period, one can tell that easily by watching the show.   I don't hate Sally because Phyllis hates her, I hate her because she's a selfish bitch, they way she's blackmailed Summer and Kyle, gone after Jack since day one (she knows he's rich and wants him for his money imho, he's a fool, since she's young enough to be his daughter, maybe granddaughter!, plus the things she did on B&B

Posted (edited)

If Staff doesn't want to be paired up with Bergman's Jack, I would readily replace her with Tognoni again. I thought she was a remarkable recast in what I suspected would be a fail. And she sold that couple 100%. I've talked often about how unfairly slated I think PB is by fans in terms of his performance, but pairing him with very young women these days is embarrassing as hell.

Edited by Vee
On 4/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, FrenchBug82 said:

As for Sally, she has literally done nothing since she arrived. Now, as someone who likes her, I find that too bad but "Sally is worse than Phyllis" is one special kind of character fandom. You like Phyllis: good, enjoy her! You wanna dislike Sally because Phyllis dislikes Sally? Fine, that's great! But let's not be delusional about what is or is not happening on the show.
Phyllis tried to commit murder at least twice (running Cricket/Paul over and the Sasha fire). She doesn't behave like this anymore but there are very few, if any, "worse" people in terms of track record on the show right now.

Nothing here was said but the TRUTH

5 minutes ago, slick jones said:

Why is Cait Fairbanks still employed?   

I have no idea. I know there’s a tradition of Y&R characters breaking into song, but that was painful.

55 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I have no idea. I know there’s a tradition of Y&R characters breaking into song, but that was painful.

So painful..............

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2021 at 11:18 AM, David_Vickers said:

Phyllis hasn't been like that in years.  She does NOT ruin the show. The clinically diagnosed psychopath is Adam Newman.  Phyllis was a bitch, and can still be at times.   Currently Sally is worse than Phyllis IMHO. 

AGREE wholeheartedly about Doug Davidson.  BUT on Chelsea, slightly disagree, the character being force fed to us is ADAM!  Plus this stupid storyline of Sharon having feelings for Adam and vice versa is beyond ridiculous,  when during the Justin Hartley years, Adam and Sharon barely had scenes together etc.  Y&R is in desperate need of new writers, the Abby baby mess (with NO Chance, who should've been re-cast immediately not sent offscreeen for who knows how long),  the Victoria being a bitch and wanting Billy again, and the Adam Sharon mess, are all proof of this, as well as the not using Paul, not doing much with Michael, Kevin, Traci and the missing Fen, Noah, etc. 

Since you did state CURRENTLY, I would say they are both being bitches; but yes currently Sally is blackmailing peeps lol

Sally's past misdeeds are amatuerish compared to Katherine, Victor, Sheila, Michael, Phyllis, Chlovin, Adam and currently Chelsea who is on her 2 attempted murder

Edited by rlj
Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2021 at 5:17 AM, slick jones said:

I  know DD can be a pill on Twitter...But how do you blame him?

Whatever the situation with Dough Davidson is, he is the longest running cast member and they could have done better. If we can see Sharon in relationship drama,  Nick and Phyliss go back, and Victor & Nikki doing the same thing for for the umpteenth time, they could definitely find something for Paul to do. I think the only time Paul & Christine were really interesting as a pair were during the Isabella storylines. Otherwise I'd rather see them as investigative partners. Michael & Lauren is also a pairing that has dulled both characters in the long run as well. 

1 hour ago, slick jones said:

Lolllllll!!!!!!!!

Edited by ironlion
2 hours ago, slick jones said:

I am not going to make it personal.

But honestly? The only reason Tessa and Mariah are still a thing is because if they break up they are going to have to introduce another lesbian or bi character for Mariah if they want to use her. And that's a pain for lazy writers. 
At least here they've done "the hard part" already so they can get the benefit of featuring a lesbian couple without having to bother.

Nikki is such an idiot. So she needed Victor’s permission to call an ambulance? They write her with zero backbone.

6 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Nikki is such an idiot. So she needed Victor’s permission to call an ambulance? They write her with zero backbone.

Remember when Nikki saved Jabot with her money against Victor's wishes? Where has THAT Nikki gone?

I get it, Victor is a legendary character and EB a pillar of the show. But the writers going along with his insistence that Victor always be the winner and be one step ahead of everyone is really hurting every character in his orbit. It does not make Victor any "less of a man" if Nikki has a personality.

6 minutes ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Remember when Nikki saved Jabot with her money against Victor's wishes? Where has THAT Nikki gone?

I get it, Victor is a legendary character and EB a pillar of the show. But the writers going along with his insistence that Victor always be the winner and be one step ahead of everyone is really hurting every character in his orbit. It does not make Victor any "less of a man" if Nikki has a personality.

It’s awful. I hope that they have Nikki admit that Ashland signed that contract when he was incapacitated. But I hate the Victor/Nikki merry-go-round. It’s damaged Nikki as a character.